Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI Over USB Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevy5759

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: MIDI Over USB Problem Reply with quote

Evening Gents.
I am having a problem getting the computer and the Kronos to communicate. I am running Windows 10 on a new Dell all in one PC. I am running Studio 1 Pro. I have a Yamaha Montage which I connected with the Yamaha Steinburg MIDI driver. Studio 1 recognizes it and all is well. I downloaded the latest Korg MIDI driver, installed it per instructions, connected the Kronos and have nothing. The Korg MIDI driver does not show in Studio One and I get no sound from the Kronos. If I run the Kronos into the audio inputs on the Montage, everything works great. I'm not sure Windows is recognizing the Korg MIDI driver. I created new keyboard Kronos in Studio 1 as I did with the Montage.
Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!
MrSteveVee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Midi over USB Reply with quote

try installing the Korg Kronos editor (Check it is the correct one for the Kronos software version you are using) If the editor works then you will know that the Kronos to Windows MidI is working fine and the problem is elsewhere

For USB Audio, I use the ASIO4ALL driver that appears to work for Cubase

Important note. Under the latest build of windows 10 there may be a problem running the editor in some circumstances in which case run the editor in windows 8 compatibility mode. See this thread for details:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=110211&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Schmooster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with installing ASIO4ALL - then refresh your MIDI settings in Studio1 - it may not actively seek but it should find it when directed to.

I don't think installing the editor is necessary, the drivers are separate - if the editor has issues with Win 10 anyway then it may lead you to believe you have a problem when you don't. Any MIDI activity utility should suffice if you really want to confirm Kronos to PC comms - I wouldn't start diagnosing with a dodgy test platform - it's unlikely to help. Are there no activity LED's on the Interface? I'd be surprised if there weren't - that's the whole point of them.
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: MIDI Over USB Problem Reply with quote

Not sure, how you exactly want your setup to work...
chevy5759 wrote:
I am running Windows 10 on a new Dell all in one PC. I am running Studio 1 Pro.

Should be OK. Are you 32 bit or 64 bit?
chevy5759 wrote:
I have a Yamaha Montage which I connected with the Yamaha Steinburg MIDI driver. Studio 1 recognizes it and all is well.

Well then.
chevy5759 wrote:
I downloaded the latest Korg MIDI driver

I assume from place like http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/driver/1/285/3541/ ?
chevy5759 wrote:
installed it per instructions

There is small utility coming with Korg MIDI drivers called Korg Driver Setup Utility. Is there "Automatic start" ticked and "Monitoring connections" in started status? If not, then tick "Automatic start" and start "Monitoring connections".
chevy5759 wrote:
connected the Kronos

How did you connect - How exactly (from what to what) is MIDI and how is Audio connected?
chevy5759 wrote:
and have nothing.

Be more specific with that "nothing". There is small utility with Korg MIDI drivers: "Configure KORG USB midi driver". Run this and what do you see? If Kronos connected with USB then button "Device list" must be active and pressing that button you should see connected KORG midi devices showing some data. Do you see your Kronos there?
chevy5759 wrote:
The Korg MIDI driver does not show in Studio One and I get no sound from the Kronos.

Do not have Studio One and cannot comment, but if Kronos does not show up where other MIDI devices appear, that's not good sign. Check steps above to be sure your computer recognizes Kronos. Some DAWs (My ableton for example) requires that I have Kronos connected with USB MIDI _before_ I start Ableton. If I add MIDI devices when Ableton is already running, they do not appear. Same might be with Studio One, so connect Kronos before you start DAW.
chevy5759 wrote:
If I run the Kronos into the audio inputs on the Montage, everything works great.

What exactly "works great"? How Montage is connected (Midi and Audio)?
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have you tried using a utility like MIDIOX to monitor the incoming MIDI? That will show you that it is at least getting into the PC (or otherwise).

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens to me time to time.
Uninstall Korg midi driver.
Plugin Kronos,
Reinstall latest driver.
It should prompt you to install for Kronos and any other plugged in Korg devices.

It should start working from there on.
Otherwise wait, repeat process.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Avalon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
This happens to me time to time.
Uninstall Korg midi driver.
Plugin Kronos,
Reinstall latest driver.
It should prompt you to install for Kronos and any other plugged in Korg devices.

It should start working from there on.
Otherwise wait, repeat process.

Having the same issue (see: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=110330&sid=7a58b73ad168c52d94a645f032e5cee5 )

I already uninstalled & reinstalled the driver several times. The prompt sometimes shows, MIDI IO is listed correctly in the KORG MIDI config util. But the IOs never show up in any DAW.
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps then issue (too many midi items somewhere is limit in Windows) described at
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=102231
How many midi entries do you see when regedit 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32'
Avalon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alland wrote:
Perhaps then issue (too many midi items somewhere is limit in Windows) described at
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=102231
How many midi entries do you see when regedit 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32'

It lists 10 MIDI entries (midi, midi1 to midi9).
I had the same number of devices connected previously on Win10 with no problems though.
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number of physical devices and number of "virtual midi devices" that show in registry (where limitations apply) are different things.
10 MIDI entries in registry is bad sign, try to remove/uninstall unnecessary (or also necessary) devices from device manager (ensure to enable "show hidden devices") - KORG things may be there too etc.
After that check registry, in some cases manual deletion of midi entries may be needed. Then reinstall only needed MIDI things and do not plug same devices into different USB ports but keep the same connection to avoid multiplicating midi entries in registry.
Avalon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alland wrote:
Number of physical devices and number of "virtual midi devices" that show in registry (where limitations apply) are different things.
10 MIDI entries in registry is bad sign, try to remove/uninstall unnecessary (or also necessary) devices from device manager (ensure to enable "show hidden devices") - KORG things may be there too etc.
After that check registry, in some cases manual deletion of midi entries may be needed. Then reinstall only needed MIDI things and do not plug same devices into different USB ports but keep the same connection to avoid multiplicating midi entries in registry.

Interesting hint! There are indeed many midi entries under Software devices (see screenshot: https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/hclLVJz0D.png).
I don't know where they are all coming from. I suppose if I remove them all, all my MIDI-connected devices will stop working?[/img]
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After removing unnecessary/unknown MIDI items you can always reinstall only those you really use/need.
Some repeating entries may come from plugging same device into different USB, using USB hubs, reinstalling devices etc.
Avalon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alland wrote:
After removing unnecessary/unknown MIDI items you can always reinstall only those you really use/need.
Some repeating entries may come from plugging same device into different USB, using USB hubs, reinstalling devices etc.

I removed them all, rebooted, switched on device after device and they popped back in automatically again. This makes sense and many of the MIDI entries are actually from my MOTU MIDI Express and MOTU Micro Lite. So there are no duplicate entries after all. Still, the KRONOS wont show up. Interestingly, my Ultranova wont show up either, so this seems not to be a KRONOS-unique issue.

In any case, in my previous install all the devices worked fine on USB MIDI. I didn't change anyhting in that setup.
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try to clear also registry midi entries?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: