Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wooden endplates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: wooden endplates Reply with quote

I am in the process of buying a 2nd Kronos, original model from 2012..

One of the plastic endplates is damaged, I intend to replace it with wooden endplates..

There are probably some people that have done so before, so i am looking for advice. Are there any important things, i need to look for with the damage, to still be possible to replace the endplate? (think connections)

Which method did you use when replacing the endplates?
Drummond

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can replace but you can also put some wooden adhesive (stickers) on it. A couple friends did and it is easier and also looks fine.
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummond wrote:
You can replace but you can also put some wooden adhesive (stickers) on it. A couple friends did and it is easier and also looks fine.

Any idea where to get such stickers?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Drummond wrote:

Do a quick search on Amazon. Here is a quick link. I'm not sure this is what Drummond is talking about but my guess is it is close. I would think the automotive vinyl would be better suited to fitting the shape of the original and X cheeks.
Amazon wood grain stickers
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Bachus wrote:
Drummond wrote:

Do a quick search on Amazon. Here is a quick link. I'm not sure this is what Drummond is talking about but my guess is it is close. I would think the automotive vinyl would be better suited to fitting the shape of the original and X cheeks.
Amazon wood grain stickers

I think i will go for the real wood... just cant find where to buy those...
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone tried to remove the plastic endcaps on his Kronos and it's apparently not easy. Those things are really on there! I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it may not be worth the trouble(?). It seems like there were pic's within some thread here on Korg Forums. Do a search. Good luck, because they wood look nice, haha.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took mine the bottom off my X61 to see how difficult it would be to make some wood ends. I don't remember all the details but there was more to it then just swapping them out. These plastic ends have a metal insert that bolts into the Kronos. I didn't pursue it at the time because of tie constraints. I still want to but just don't have the time or space to pull the board apart and leave it out int he open safely while I fabricate some wood. Some one has already sold some wood ends. I remember seeing them online somewhere.
G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to do the reverse, lol.

I am trying to get rid of the wood end-caps and replace them with a matching color end-cap.

So it looks like the Kronos X.

Smile
NormC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

I am trying to get rid of the wood end-caps and replace them with a matching color end-cap.

Smile
Just paint the wood black.
G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormC wrote:
G wrote:

Smile

I am toying with the idea of sanding and then staining the wood black and then finishing it with a high gloss poly or clear coat.
NormC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
NormC wrote:
G wrote:

Smile

I am toying with the idea of sanding and then staining the wood black and then finishing it with a high gloss poly or clear coat.

Have you bought a Kronos yet?
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I took mine the bottom off my X61 to see how difficult it would be to make some wood ends. I don't remember all the details but there was more to it then just swapping them out. These plastic ends have a metal insert that bolts into the Kronos. I didn't pursue it at the time because of tie constraints. I still want to but just don't have the time or space to pull the board apart and leave it out int he open safely while I fabricate some wood. Some one has already sold some wood ends. I remember seeing them online somewhere.

I see what you mean, got the Kronos last saturday amd opened it up yesterday evening to have a look at it.. it indeed looks like something not done very lightly..

Now we had a change of plans... a friend of me has a 3d printer, we are going to make a new end cap that i can place over the current one.. and then we will make them look like wood... if it works out like we hope, i will post pictures of it... if not, i will hide and tell noboddy we failed..
Darryll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of where to order wooden end caps like the following? They look nice + practical for caring or moving the board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cMcw5BdnaU
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryll wrote:
Does anyone know of where to order wooden end caps like the following? They look nice + practical for caring or moving the board.

That's one of my pet peeves about the original Kronos 61, it's too hard to carry. You can't comfortably grab it by the end cheeks to, there's no good grip point. The combination of the the downward sloping front-to-back angle and the center outward bulge makes it really awkward to lift and move it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: