Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wooden endplates

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bachus
Platinum Member


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: wooden endplates Reply with quote

I am in the process of buying a 2nd Kronos, original model from 2012..

One of the plastic endplates is damaged, I intend to replace it with wooden endplates..

There are probably some people that have done so before, so i am looking for advice. Are there any important things, i need to look for with the damage, to still be possible to replace the endplate? (think connections)

Which method did you use when replacing the endplates?
_________________
Korg Kronos 2/88 , Korg PA4x, Mainstage3 +VSTsu, Kurzweil PC3X
www.keyszone.boards.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Drummond



Joined: 25 Feb 2016
Posts: 44
Location: Brazil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can replace but you can also put some wooden adhesive (stickers) on it. A couple friends did and it is easier and also looks fine.
_________________
Korg Kronos 88 (150gb+3gb), Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Access Virus B, Roland JP8000, Tokai TX5 Classic, Alesis Vortex Wireless, Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bachus
Platinum Member


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummond wrote:
You can replace but you can also put some wooden adhesive (stickers) on it. A couple friends did and it is easier and also looks fine.


Any idea where to get such stickers?
_________________
Korg Kronos 2/88 , Korg PA4x, Mainstage3 +VSTsu, Kurzweil PC3X
www.keyszone.boards.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bertotti
Platinum Member


Joined: 10 Jul 2010
Posts: 3279
Location: Middle of nowhere

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Drummond wrote:
You can replace but you can also put some wooden adhesive (stickers) on it. A couple friends did and it is easier and also looks fine.


Any idea where to get such stickers?


Do a quick search on Amazon. Here is a quick link. I'm not sure this is what Drummond is talking about but my guess is it is close. I would think the automotive vinyl would be better suited to fitting the shape of the original and X cheeks.
Amazon wood grain stickers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bachus
Platinum Member


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Bachus wrote:
Drummond wrote:
You can replace but you can also put some wooden adhesive (stickers) on it. A couple friends did and it is easier and also looks fine.


Any idea where to get such stickers?


Do a quick search on Amazon. Here is a quick link. I'm not sure this is what Drummond is talking about but my guess is it is close. I would think the automotive vinyl would be better suited to fitting the shape of the original and X cheeks.
Amazon wood grain stickers


I think i will go for the real wood... just cant find where to buy those...
_________________
Korg Kronos 2/88 , Korg PA4x, Mainstage3 +VSTsu, Kurzweil PC3X
www.keyszone.boards.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timbukktwo
Full Member


Joined: 09 Dec 2007
Posts: 227

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone tried to remove the plastic endcaps on his Kronos and it's apparently not easy. Those things are really on there! I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it may not be worth the trouble(?). It seems like there were pic's within some thread here on Korg Forums. Do a search. Good luck, because they wood look nice, haha.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bertotti
Platinum Member


Joined: 10 Jul 2010
Posts: 3279
Location: Middle of nowhere

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took mine the bottom off my X61 to see how difficult it would be to make some wood ends. I don't remember all the details but there was more to it then just swapping them out. These plastic ends have a metal insert that bolts into the Kronos. I didn't pursue it at the time because of tie constraints. I still want to but just don't have the time or space to pull the board apart and leave it out int he open safely while I fabricate some wood. Some one has already sold some wood ends. I remember seeing them online somewhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G



Joined: 10 Jun 2017
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to do the reverse, lol.

I am trying to get rid of the wood end-caps and replace them with a matching color end-cap.

So it looks like the Kronos X.

Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NormC
Junior Member


Joined: 09 Jun 2015
Posts: 79

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I am trying to do the reverse, lol.

I am trying to get rid of the wood end-caps and replace them with a matching color end-cap.

So it looks like the Kronos X.

Smile
Just paint the wood black.
_________________
Kronos 2 73
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G



Joined: 10 Jun 2017
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormC wrote:
G wrote:
I am trying to do the reverse, lol.

I am trying to get rid of the wood end-caps and replace them with a matching color end-cap.

So it looks like the Kronos X.

Smile
Just paint the wood black.


I am toying with the idea of sanding and then staining the wood black and then finishing it with a high gloss poly or clear coat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NormC
Junior Member


Joined: 09 Jun 2015
Posts: 79

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
NormC wrote:
G wrote:
I am trying to do the reverse, lol.

I am trying to get rid of the wood end-caps and replace them with a matching color end-cap.

So it looks like the Kronos X.

Smile
Just paint the wood black.


I am toying with the idea of sanding and then staining the wood black and then finishing it with a high gloss poly or clear coat.

Have you bought a Kronos yet?
_________________
Kronos 2 73
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bachus
Platinum Member


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I took mine the bottom off my X61 to see how difficult it would be to make some wood ends. I don't remember all the details but there was more to it then just swapping them out. These plastic ends have a metal insert that bolts into the Kronos. I didn't pursue it at the time because of tie constraints. I still want to but just don't have the time or space to pull the board apart and leave it out int he open safely while I fabricate some wood. Some one has already sold some wood ends. I remember seeing them online somewhere.


I see what you mean, got the Kronos last saturday amd opened it up yesterday evening to have a look at it.. it indeed looks like something not done very lightly..

Now we had a change of plans... a friend of me has a 3d printer, we are going to make a new end cap that i can place over the current one.. and then we will make them look like wood... if it works out like we hope, i will post pictures of it... if not, i will hide and tell noboddy we failed..
_________________
Korg Kronos 2/88 , Korg PA4x, Mainstage3 +VSTsu, Kurzweil PC3X
www.keyszone.boards.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group