Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best midi comtrollers of 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:

I know there are 3rd party offerings for Spectrasonics instruments, for under $50

I'm sure there are but regardless the midi controller software has to support the AAX format or else it won't work. That's the issue here with Novation Automap software. They don't support this format...period!

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Quote:
Is this NI S61 designed to work with NI package primarily?

From what I've explored with so far, non native instruments can be added but in order to be able to browse the library of sounds, you have to add the presets from your VST one by one to Native Instruments Kontrol.

Sounds like a very slow process for a big VST that has thousands of sounds. That being said you seem to be only really limited to not being able to define the lights to different colours, and the controllers are all mapped automatically and not necessarily in the order you would prefer. Unless you want to write your own scripts.

That being said, I'd only buy this keyboard if the NI package was my primary library. AKAI's VIP seems more suited for someone looking to work with a lot of non-native NI content.

Quote:
Would it make sense to get this if you're using non-kontakt libraries such as East-West , Best Service and Spectrasonics stuff as well?

If your happy to put in the work and getting them integrated then yes. For me the end result is like working with a dedicated hardware keyboard.

There are places online where you can download this work already done for you. Some downloads are for free, some have a small charge. Spectrasonics for example seem to be covered. Even the KORG Legacy collection and many others.

Regards
Sharp.

Yeah...I think I'll be better off with a more generic controller such as the AKAI advanced or something.

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, AKAI seems to have taken all the hassle out of getting your VST's running. Seems to be a really top product. I really love what AKAI are doing lately.

I'm only going with Native Instrument because Kontakt will be my main sampler for pretty much everything, and the included software such as Action Strings and other orchestral titles seem far better than anything East West have. The lights over the keys are dead handy too to know what functions are assigned to each key.

Regards
Sharp.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Yeah, AKAI seems to have taken all the hassle out of getting your VST's running. Seems to be a really top product. I really love what AKAI are doing lately......
Sharp.

True! I just bought the AKAI Advance 61 keys and it's wonderful! It works like a charm...A very nice controller indeed. I'll never go back to Novation's Automap ever again.

Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I m going to eat my words the sale they just came out with was to much to resist. I bought Komplete 11 and from Maschine it was 199.50. Now that I have been messing with it I went ahead and paid the rest to get U. Oh well now I have the items I always wanted and it works with Logic and I believe some of it has some MPE functionality with he Rise.

As for the Novation sl Mk2 I have the 49 key and it works great. Automap is ok but it has always learned what I needed no problem. I haven't used it since I bought the Rise last year but I am pulling it back out. I figure to use it with some NI tracks the Rise on others and the Kronos on others. I think I can do that, but I have never tired before so I really don't know if I can do this in Logic. I am going to find out though.

Sharp how is it going with Komplete for you? I already had Kinetic metal but I am really enjoying Rise and Hit and Damage! Well basically everything they have listed under cinematic. So much fun!
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sharp how is it going with Komplete for you? I already had Kinetic metal but I am really enjoying Rise and Hit and Damage! Well basically everything they have listed under cinematic. So much fun!

Nothing short of freedom of expression, no limitations and unbelievable sounds. The realism of the sounds is truly astonishing. The entire package is quite amazing really. From a FM/VA and everything else under the sun, the Ultimate 11 package seems to have everything covered.

About the only thing I'm missing is a good Choir library with a phrase builder. I do have East West Symphonic Choir, but when I hear VOXOS in demo's, it sounds so much better.

I may also invest in a dedicated SSD for the entire package. My laptop has both a SSD and HDD, with two bays free for additional storage. When loading sounds from my SSD, it's easily 5 times faster than loading off the HDD.

A Samsung 1TB EVO Red drive will be on a future shopping list for sure.

Regards
Sharp.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a 2tb ssd and between 11u and Hauptwerk and maschine I have put a serious dent in it. It is incredible how much faster it is.

Last edited by Bertotti on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
wma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolad e-a7 is very goodvon the midivside although it lacks physical midi controls as transport buttons and encoders.. i find, rrading its specs and features, it is usfull for home studios for who wich to perform on a daw this arranger helps as it is very deep on its midi sends

if it was merged with the native instruments komplete s61 and featured usb audio interface i would consider it the best solution for keyboard player who uses a daw and don't want alot of messs in his room
like one afordable machine does it all
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Quote:

Nothing short of freedom of expression, no limitations and unbelievable sounds. The realism of the sounds is truly astonishing. The entire package is quite amazing really. From a FM/VA and everything else under the sun, the Ultimate 11 package seems to have everything covered.

About the only thing I'm missing is a good Choir library with a phrase builder. I do have East West Symphonic Choir, but when I hear VOXOS in demo's, it sounds so much better.

I may also invest in a dedicated SSD for the entire package. My laptop has both a SSD and HDD, with two bays free for additional storage. When loading sounds from my SSD, it's easily 5 times faster than loading off the HDD.

A Samsung 1TB EVO Red drive will be on a future shopping list for sure.

Regards
Sharp.

Check out 8DIO Lacrimosa Choir Library!!
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Kevin.
Sounds fantastic.

Regards
Sharp.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Thank Kevin.
Sounds fantastic.

Regards
Sharp.

I'm new to the sample library game but am doing a small job using exclusively sample libraries. It's an 'epic theme' and needs these choirs. So I bought them based on a YouTube video doing an epic theme walk-through, and though I'm still getting used to the library - it sounds extraordinary when played / triggered from the keyboard - it's really quite incredible!

But of course what I've learnt from approaching this job is that all the 'realism' will not just emerge from the strength of the library, but how well I can use it, compose, arrange and orchestrate in the first place; and then do detailed MIDI editing and automation for precise articulations, dynamics, legato playing, and so on.

So no library is a magic bullet - and indeed I own EW Symphonic Choirs and do want to get into word builder because I do have a few piece ideas that warrant it.

I recommend you go though the three video tutorials associated with the Lacrimosa library on 8DIO's website - they really will let you know whether it's for you or not - I have to say they convinced me! The guy presenting is "super-mega overwhelmingly ultra-positive" - so once you get used to that you realise a) he knows his business and b) he likely had reason to be very optimistic about this.

What he highlights more than anything else is the idea that when we hear a choir in a mix, what we notice is the articulated vowels and consonances - not the meaning in the words - and so they have gone about this choir by offering very clever vowels, multi-vowels and consonances - and then a phonetic sequencer to build strings of such vowels and consonances - and that coupled to their massive 200 person choir, and very nice "arcs" as well as sustains - it all make for a very clever library.

Both "Mask" and "Mythodea" are epic choral works by Vangelis that only use phonetics - no words - and if both Jessye Norman and Kathline Battle were prepared to take that seriously - it's good enough for me Smile

Definitely worth checking out!

I also agree that Komplete 11 Ultimate is astounding. I particularly like Action Strikes - and though I likely wont use Action Strings and Emotive Strings, they are amazing packages. Even just auditioning their dozens of string textures is a serious lesson on string orchestral textures.

I have to say I also absolutely love their Symphony Essentials series of woodwind, brass and strings. Though these are small libraries, I find the user interface to be ideally suited to my eye, and aI adore the sound of their brass and particularly woodwind. So much so that I upgraded all three to the full Symphony Series just this week (half price sale through June). From what I can glean from more seasoned orchestral sample library users, these are all well respected - especially the woodwinds and brass. The strings are lovely - but there's likely more competition out there such as Cinestrings Studio Strings and Strings 2 - but again - I love them. I think the entire approach is a class act and even though as said there are superior libraries out there - something about this one really presses my buttons.

But of course with NI Komplete even what we've mentioned here is scratching the surface - from Reaktor and it's associated synthesizers from Razor to Monark - to the their effects such as RC48 (Lexicon 480 emulation which is gorgeous to my ears) - it's overload - kid in candy shop territory.

Got to say I've been slower 'getting into it' - it doesn't have the same 'impact' that the OASYS had (and still has) on me - but over the months Komplete Ultimate 11 has just revealed more and more and more - it's endless!

I've got to end with this point - indeed challenge to myslef at some juncture - the more I get into string, woodwind and brass sample libraries, the more respect I gain for the onboard strings, woodwind and brass on boars OASYS (and Kronos). SO much of what creates realism in sample based orchestral music is the quality of the composing and arranging, and the level of MIDI editing you're prepared to do .

So I'm convinced I could produce an ultra-real orchestral piece using just OASYS onboard orchestral instruments. The quality of recording, and programming in programs and combis, is exquisite and pristine on the OASYS, while the amount of articulation and dynamic control possible across various programs, combis and using various controllers - is qiute extensive.

It might take a year or two - but I intend composing an orchestral piece for both sample libraries and then to execute on OASYS to test this argument - but I am quite sure the OASYS and Kronos would hold their own very well.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But of course what I've learnt from approaching this job is that all the 'realism' will not just emerge from the strength of the library, but how well I can use it, compose, arrange and orchestrate in the first place; and then do detailed MIDI editing and automation for precise articulations, dynamics, legato playing, and so on.

True, but it sure as heck helps considerably. You won't find sounds as good as those on any synth or workstation, so therefore it's impossible to get that kind of epic choir sound without such libraries.

Quote:
So I'm convinced I could produce an ultra-real orchestral piece using just OASYS onboard orchestral instruments.

I've no doubt a very pleasant sound could be produced, but I think your only kidding yourself if you think the OASYS has the sounds to produce a ultra-real orchestral piece. It's not even possible to do a realistic crescendo that doesn't sound like something just working with a static sample, a filter and volume.

I've sequenced so many songs in my time on workstation. I can produce an orchestral track that sounds pretty good too, but it never sounds like the real thing. There's always that plastic nature to it because of Keyboards not having the PCM data or the sound engine that's comparable to Kontakt scripting.

For example, here's some classics I sequenced up.

Indiana Jones
Watermark
Artificial Intelligence
Casper
Insurrection
Superman
Twister
Rocky

Bottom line for me is, I don't care how good someone is at sequencing. Unless you have the sounds to match, your only kidding yourself. It's not one or the other, you need both.

Regards
Sharp.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right of course - I think we agree on that but I think there are two points I'm making that are variants of the general point you make. Let me make these points :

1. Firstly - those sequences are VERY GOOD !!! Did you get the MIDI scores or did you actually develop them yourself. Either way - a lot of work.

2. AI - is really good - adore that score (and film) - and your version here is really nice.

3. Totally take your point on realism - however - I wager none of these use the OASYS with EXs3 installed? I'm saying - the OASYS in particular has a lot of articulations which I think, with respect, are not exploited here?

4. I've just completed the MacProVideo course "Enhancing Realism" using sample libraries by Peter Schwartz. I urge you to do that course. It reveals the depth of MIDI editing needed to make even the best sample libraries sound real.

For me for example - I own both EW Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Pro and EQ Hollywood Orchestra Diamond - and - though i'm new to this - things I tried just sounded crap (and I've written several orchestral pieces that have been recorded by symphony orchestra). The issue was - not the sample libraries - not my composing - rather the pathetic attempt I was making at rendering one of my orchestral pieces using sample libraries that prompted me to find the course I recommend (and it's sister MPV course by Peter Schwartz on setting up orchestral sample templates.

As an example of just some of the issues addressed that I was oblivious to:

- Velocity switched samples only work for percussive instruments from piano to percussion... - and mostly NOT in realistic way for woodwind, brass and strings

- Many sample libraries only use velocity switching on percussive instruments and not velocity crossfading

- Managing Dynamic crossfading of woodwind, brass and strings using CC1 & 11 for phrase expression

- Managing key switching for articulation switching

- Managing volume modulation using CC7 when instruments don't have dynamic crossfaded samples

- Combining velocity, keyswitched and dynamic cross faded samples of the same instrument or section to enhance realism

- Creating legato using the Piano-Roll editor (start and end points of each note overlapping)

- Managing the Attack and Release of notes - on a per note basis in a score

- Managing round-robin samples

- Combining sample libraries with all of the above to enhance realism...

... and on and on and on

Top composers rendering realistic sample library scores are expert at MIDI editing and construction of their scores across countless dozens if not hundreds of tracks.

The point being - the extent of MIDI editing is enormous and with respect to your excellent work; you didn't do a fraction of that MIDI editing on those tracks - so that's a significant part of the reason they don't sound as real as they might otherwise (again - not knocking them - I tip my hat to you to be honest - and - indeed the level of MIDI editing possible on a DAW piano roll editor is beyond even the OASYS as we all know (and fought for!!) ).

So my only point is - the OASYS DOES offer a large range of quality samples, articulations and dynamics across its solo and ensemble woodwind, brass, strings and percussion - albeit not in the same way as dedicated sample libraries - but many of them are in there (and as flagged before I used the OASYS percussion to great affect for a composer / percussionist friend of mine for a TV drama who preferred the OASYS percussion to his own sample libraries - admittedly about 7-8 year ago) - so my only point was that if the effort was put in - I'm confident that an very realistic mockup could be achieved on the OASYS.

I fully acknowledge it'd be way more work than doing it on a computer - and fully acknowledge that dedicated sample libraries go far beyond the OASYS - and I fully agree with you that it does require both exquisite libraries and serious MIDI editing - but I'm saying to you that the extent of MIDI editing required is far beyond what you seem to propose even for the very best sample libraries - getting the notes in is only the start of it; while also saying that the effort Korg put in on the OASYS orchestral multisamples, programs and combi's is very high standard, even when compared to current sample libraries. The quality IS there.

But to finish - well done again on all that work. Very impressive indeed - and AI, as you present it here - is really very nice to listen to.

One last thing: the MPV course I just completed reveals that the Kronos 61 cannot reach beyond MIDI velocity 124; and is poor in the region of 1 - 50 (responds too drastically to even gentle touch in the MIDI velocity region up to 50 or so) !

Very best,
Kevin.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Firstly - those sequences are VERY GOOD !!! Did you get the MIDI scores or did you actually develop them yourself. Either way - a lot of work.

I sequenced what I could from sheet music, but mostly it's down to listening to the songs over and over, bit by bit as I went along in order to try learn how they were arranged.

Quote:
3. Totally take your point on realism - however - I wager none of these use the OASYS with EXs3 installed? I'm saying - the OASYS in particular has a lot of articulations which I think, with respect, are not exploited here?

One of them is the OASYS (Superman) and I also had EXs3, the rest are KRONOS which also has EXs3 and the far better strings of EXs11. Symphony Of Voices was also used in the tune Watermark.

Articulations would be the least of my worries. The problem is that even at the most basic level you can't achieve certain things without going a million miles out of your way to fake the likes of round-robin, and something as basic as a crescendo. You don't even have the sounds to play a single fff brass note where you get to hear actual hard blowing. The third part EXs Orchestral libraries are rather embarrassing to be honest when compared to what you get with Kontakt for free.

Quote:
4. I've just completed the MacProVideo course "Enhancing Realism" using sample libraries by Peter Schwartz. I urge you to do that course. It reveals the depth of MIDI editing needed to make even the best sample libraries sound real.

I'll be sure to check it out. I just finished watching the Hans Zimmer Master Class and it was quite interesting. Although Hans does downplay things quite a lot.

Quote:
For me for example - I own both EW Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Pro and EQ Hollywood Orchestra Diamond - and - though i'm new to this - things I tried just sounded crap (and I've written several orchestral pieces that have been recorded by symphony orchestra). The issue was - not the sample libraries - not my composing - rather the pathetic attempt I was making at rendering one of my orchestral pieces using sample libraries that prompted me to find the course I recommend (and it's sister MPV course by Peter Schwartz on setting up orchestral sample templates.

Sure, I can totally relate to that. It gets back to exactly what I said in the end of my last post. You need to be great at sequencing, but also have the sounds. Either or is no use, you have to have both.

Quote:
I fully acknowledge it'd be way more work than doing it on a computer - and fully acknowledge that dedicated sample libraries go far beyond the OASYS - and I fully agree with you that it does require both exquisite libraries and serious MIDI editing - but I'm saying to you that the extent of MIDI editing required is far beyond what you seem to propose even for the very best sample libraries

This is where I think we differ. Think about this.....
At what point should you just draw a line in the sand and look at the diminishing returns on your efforts? That's really where I am with all this at this stage.

You will only end up trying to sequence your way out of every single problem. Problems that for the most part don't even exist any more with Kontakt libraries. Such as real-legato, and round-robin.

Where is your time better spent? Writing music with the right tools, or fighting the technology and trying to fake your way around issues with sequencing.

Regards
Sharp.
marc1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Quote:
Unless you have the sounds to match, your only kidding yourself. It's not one or the other, you need both.

True. That being said, I'm still amazed at some of the things you could achieve with a Fairlight back in the 80ies, even just with tiny little samples and the sequencing capabilities of Page R. A good programmer at that time was already capable of mocking whole orchestra arrangements.

A good example would be: Pet Shop Boys - It couldn't happen here

Quote:
Kontakt will be my main sampler for pretty much everything, and the included software such as Action Strings and other orchestral titles seem far better than anything East West have.

That's highly subjective. East West sounds great. And the stock orchestra samples from VSL that come with Kontakt 5 are nothing to brag about. I have Komplete 9 and was rather disappointed with the VSL sounds. The symphony series for Kontakt, on the other hand, sounds quite impressive.

It would be interesting to have a direct comparison between Kronos sounds and VST's (in a song context, I should add).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: