Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buzzing when Kronos is connected, while off

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zarquon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Buzzing when Kronos is connected, while off Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just bought a Korg Kronos and there is a buzzing sound coming from the PA speaker so loud that it renders it unusable in a live performance. The buzzing comes even when the keyboard is turned off and starts the moment the ground pin is connected to the ground socket. The buzz continues even when I connect via a DI box. Lifting the ground on the DI box lowers the buzz slightly but does not eliminate it.

You can watch a Youtube upload of this phenomenon here.

I should add that I have many other keyboards and synths (all Nords) and there is no buzzing associated with these keyboards.

On occasion when I touch the metal panel I also feel a tingly sensation - I think I might be getting slightly shocked.

Appreciate your help in diagnosing this problem. I intend to bring it back, but this is heavy and I want to make sure I have the right information before going.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you have a ground problem. Had something similar with my Kronos. Changed out the power cable and was OK. Seemed like the cable didn't fit tightly in the back of the keyboard. Do he anode use a three wire grounded power cable? If so, that's a weird problem. If not, it could be due to building wiring. Grounding problems are common and sometimes hard to track down.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Buzzing when Kronos is connected, while off Reply with quote

zarquon wrote:
Hi all,

I just bought a Korg Kronos and there is a buzzing sound coming from the PA speaker so loud that it renders it unusable in a live performance. The buzzing comes even when the keyboard is turned off and starts the moment the ground pin is connected to the ground socket. The buzz continues even when I connect via a DI box. Lifting the ground on the DI box lowers the buzz slightly but does not eliminate it.

You can watch a Youtube upload of this phenomenon here.

I should add that I have many other keyboards and synths (all Nords) and there is no buzzing associated with these keyboards.

On occasion when I touch the metal panel I also feel a tingly sensation - I think I might be getting slightly shocked.

Appreciate your help in diagnosing this problem. I intend to bring it back, but this is heavy and I want to make sure I have the right information before going.

trouble shoot by using another amp.

And don't blast the Master volume. Keep it at 10:00- 11:00

And it sounds like you have bad grounding problem. It might be the Kronos - it might be something else. It could be a poor AC power cable - or its poor ly seated. Don't mess with at too much. It sounds dangerous.

If you are certain its the Kronos, you have to go back to the dealer as its defective.

You really should use headphones to isolate the problem with audio.

Finally, you have mic/line outputs in the back panel. See the dials. Set them to Zero. That black button should be depressed so you are in " LINE ". The mic position will greatly amplify and over load the audio.

I assume you have read the Quick start guide ? Kronos is not a simple board.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's generally best to put the master volume quite high because then you can keep the gain on the mixer and amp lower, leaving you with a far better SNR.

Sounds like a grounding issue, definitely. Try what geoelectro suggested and otherwise get it checked out by a qualified tech, it could be dangerous for you and anyone using the equipment you're connected to.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like mains hum. The sound is extremely faint in the recording, and may actually be one of the other switched mode power supplies connected to the distribution board going bad e.g. exhibiting excessive earth leakage. Also, is there a wireless charging device in the vicinity?

Schmooster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like damaged insulation - swap out that mains lead or insulate the ground pin to test. The frequency is also very high, almost Bluetooth carrier high, certainly not mains. I'd start with that cable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: