Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best midi comtrollers of 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
True. That being said, I'm still amazed at some of the things you could achieve with a Fairlight back in the 80ies, even just with tiny little samples and the sequencing capabilities of Page R. A good programmer at that time was already capable of mocking whole orchestra arrangements.

The Fairlight was certainly ahead of it's time for sure. I got into Samplers myself in the 90's when AKAI started pumping out rack units. By that time you could buy an AKAI CD with real orchestral phrases on it.

Quote:
That's highly subjective. East West sounds great. And the stock orchestra samples from VSL that come with Kontakt 5 are nothing to brag about. I have Komplete 9 and was rather disappointed with the VSL sounds. The symphony series for Kontakt, on the other hand, sounds quite impressive.

Sorry, the confusion probably comes from the way I said things. I'm not comparing East West Sample libraries to Native Instruments. I do have both the East West Symphonic Orchestra and Choir libraries, which I run from inside Komplete. In addition to that, the version of Komplete I have is Ultimate 11, so it comes with the new Orchestral Libraries (Essential series)

What I was trying to say is that Kontakt / Komplete is my platform going forward. Inside that I will run East West Libraries and everything else I own, even my old AKAI S1000 disks and some other third party libraries like VOXOS soon as I can afford to buy it.

Quote:
It would be interesting to have a direct comparison between Kronos sounds and VST's (in a song context, I should add).

It would probably be very unfair to pick on the KRONOS weaknesses when it has so many other strengths in other area's. Out of the changes I've made to my setup, I'm certainly not replacing my KRONOS, and it won't effect my plans for future KORG workstations. I just won't use KORG as much for orchestral scores, that's all.

Regards
Sharp.
marc1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Fairlight was certainly ahead of it's time for sure.

Oh, not just the Fairlight, also the Synclavier. Wink
They were both state of the art at that time in much the same way Kronos is today. The Fairlight sequencer even beats the Kronos sequencer today, after 30 years (makes you wonder).

Kevin wrote:

Quote:
SO much of what creates realism in sample based orchestral music is the quality of the composing and arranging, and the level of MIDI editing you're prepared to do .

That's true. You have to know your craft and I have no difficulties believing that some masters of music can produce some outstanding and realistic sounding orchestral stuff just with Kronos onboard sounds, although this may be more time consuming and nerve wrecking than just loading VST-libraries. I have to agree with Sharp, though, on solo instruments. It's easier to hide things or to wash little inconsistencies in reverb with ensemble sounds/ within an ensemble setting. But with solo instruments you're mostly stuck with the sounds as they are. For example, the EXs 11 string library has some really nice solo violins and cellos and I like the overall tone of the sounds. But Korg decided to sample these instruments with vibrato and when you want to play a "legato" program you're stuck with a basic vibrato sound, which I deem rather artificial. Very annoying and a very odd design decision imho.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: