Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 Kronos 2 88 Keys stuck and can't be depressed.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly appreciate your what you mentioned about using a couple friends to assist. I haven't got anyone nearby to help so I would have to attempt to invert it by myself and fortunately I have a short couch that the Kronos may stretch across and allow me enough room underneath to "play" the keys. Also, I just found out the seller says it is sill under warranty as he purchased it just last Sept.
tim.condon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, if the hammers are stuck in the same manner mine were, you wouldn't need to take the bottom off - just flip it upside down and see wiggling the keys cause them to come loose.

Taking the bottom off is easy, though, and is exactly what a service center would do. If you've ever cracked open a desktop computer, you'll be fine. If that intimidates you, find a service tech or tech savvy friend to help you.

--Tim
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brs wrote:
s may stretch across and allow me enough room underneath to "play" the keys. Also, I just found out the seller says it is sill under warranty as he purchased it just last Sept.

I guess this is a big learning experience.

I don;t believe the warranty is ' transferable '. And did the seller give you his purchase receipt ? Probably not. Does he still have it ? Get it from him.

Having the receipt will make it far easy to get possible service.
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brs wrote:
"fortunately I have a short couch that the Kronos may stretch across"

That'll do. Obviously you will take care not to put pressure on the controls, especially the joysticks.

Keep us posted.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not turn the Kronos upside down to loosen the screws. I had a similar problem with my old Kronos X88. I put the keyboard on the keyboard stand and loosened the screws with the keyboard on stand. It is awkward trying to loosen the screws while on floor looking up but the risk of further problems is much less. When you loosen the screws the keybed may shift. I would recommend this method first. This has been discussed a few years ago on the forum. Good luck in getting keybed positioned correctly.
brs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Benny,
This does seem like it may be a safer way to do it, however, I contacted Korg support and here's what they say: We do not recommend adjusting the keybed of the Kronos on your own which requires the bottom panel to be removed. Serious damage to you or the Kronos can occur.

Best Regards,
Product Support
Korg USA, Inc.

I would appreciate your comments to what korg says. Thanks very much
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Kronos X my keybed was noisy and I complained and took it to a service center and Korg ordered a new keybed. They are very good at keeping customers happy at least from my experience.
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following Korg's advice is a no-brainer!
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be of interest for those who have not seen the innards of a Kronos.
There many other photos available....via a google search etc.

http://www.kronoshaven.com/kronos-news/my-korg-kronos-keybed-has-been-replaced-pictures/
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating pedro5. Thnx for posting, although there's no way I'd have the nerve to try it myself. Impressive.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this happen. If it's the same thing, it's a really easy fix.

During transport, one of the keyboard weights jammed against the metal support. The key would not depress, and felt quite solidly stuck.

Opening the case, I saw the weight against the support (look at "some inside pictures" in Pedro's link and you can easily see the long bar) and just gently moved them away from the support, and viola! it was fine.

Took far longer/more effort to unscrew the case than to actually fix the issue.

..Joe
brs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Latest Update Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post an update re: 5 stuck keys. First of all wishing a Happy Father's Day to any of us Father's out there.

I decided to ask the seller if he would chip in an extra $400.00, lowering my purchase price to cover repairs if necessary. In addition I learned the Kronos 2 88 is still under warranty and asked him to fwd his original invoice.

He did both so it's mine now and my repair tech says there's a possibility Korg will still honor the warranty even though after speaking to the New York office directly they said the one year from date of purchase "warranty" ONLY applies to "manufacturer defects; still my tech refutes that saying he has gotten them to cover things because they want to keep customers happy," which I find a little odd.

Further, I've had some success in "freeing up the original 5 keys that were stuck by using my well padded short length couch and while holding the Kronos tilted up as if trying to carry under one arm, sort of bouncing it on the couch; so far have freed all but one stubborn key.

So, what does this tell us? Perhaps I should keep up my bouncing technique ,take it to the next level and get out my screwdriver or discontinue and go for the possible warranty fix?

Worst case scenario I suppose is, the warranty fails, the remaining key gets unstuck by the tech but I in turn "get stuck" with the repair bill.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated before I proceed. Have a great day guys.
UCanDream

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brs, PM me. I'm familiar with quite a bit of what is and what may be going on. I'll give you my phone number in PM of you are in the USA...

Cheers.
~David
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest Update Reply with quote

brs wrote:
Just thought I'd post an update re: 5 stuck keys. First of all wishing a Happy Father's Day to any of us Father's out there.

I decided to ask the seller if he would chip in an extra $400.00, lowering my purchase price to cover repairs if necessary. In addition I learned the Kronos 2 88 is still under warranty and asked him to fwd his original invoice.

He did both so it's mine now and my repair tech says there's a possibility Korg will still honor the warranty even though after speaking to the New York office directly they said the one year from date of purchase "warranty" ONLY applies to "manufacturer defects; still my tech refutes that saying he has gotten them to cover things because they want to keep customers happy," which I find a little odd.

Further, I've had some success in "freeing up the original 5 keys that were stuck by using my well padded short length couch and while holding the Kronos tilted up as if trying to carry under one arm, sort of bouncing it on the couch; so far have freed all but one stubborn key.

So, what does this tell us? Perhaps I should keep up my bouncing technique ,take it to the next level and get out my screwdriver or discontinue and go for the possible warranty fix?

Worst case scenario I suppose is, the warranty fails, the remaining key gets unstuck by the tech but I in turn "get stuck" with the repair bill.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated before I proceed. Have a great day guys.

If you released the bay claim, that was courageous of you. I am very cautious myself.

Since you still have 1 stuck key, it appears that you should have it serviced so you never have a hassle in the future. While other relish the challenge of complex repairs, I am not in that category.

anyway, for a complex expensive keyboard that is used and taken a hit of sorts during shipping, it would appear that a full service would provide piece of mind.

The service rep can't make a commitment to you about repair price because he does not have your board in front of him on the bench. That plus he is is not 100% sure if Korg will honor the warranty.

Due to the shipping damage, you might need a key replacement. Worst case is an entire keybed replacement. Get the worst case out of pocket scenario from the service person. Thats the figure I would use as a refund or a hold back.

Not having all the facts is why I think you need to be careful. The seller , of course, would like his money. And get it over with. I don't think you should be in a hurry to close the claim.

I indicated that the warranty is not transferable. read the warranty fine print.
It might not be 100% clear. still, you should be careful and not ' assume '.

The purchase receipt is a big help, of course. But having that does not assure you can piggyback on the 1 yr warranty. For a Korg defect.

Simply, the shipping damage is not a Korg defect. Your seller did not take adequate steps to protect a heavy keyboard from shipping damage.
Blaming Korg or the shipper (UPS/FedX, etc) does not seem like a wise course, IMO.

Its your call, of course.
brs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your info. I'm just going by what the tech told me on the phone, that he may be able to get the warranty through. Also, being the seller deposited the refund of $400.00 for repairs if I need them seems to me a fairly good deal as the sales invoice verifies the kronos was purchased from Sweetwater Sound just last March, therefore virtually new; a chance I had to take because of the quite low price I purchased it at via ebay auction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: