Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendations for packaging Kronos for movers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RlaRed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for packaging Kronos for movers Reply with quote

My company is transferring me across the country. They are paying for professional movers to come pack everything up and move it via truck. I keep my Kronos at home and don't want to spend $300 for a hard case that I'll use only once.

I was thinking of mummifying it with thick bubble wrap and a bunch of tape, and placing a packet of dessicant inside. I will also mark with "fragile, do not stack".

Do you guys think that will be sufficient protection?

"The graveyards are full of indispensable men" - General Charles De Gaulle
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for packaging Kronos for movers Reply with quote

RlaRed wrote:
My company is transferring me across the country. They are paying for professional movers to come pack everything up and move it via truck. I keep my Kronos at home and don't want to spend $300 for a hard case that I'll use only once.

I was thinking of mummifying it with thick bubble wrap and a bunch of tape, and placing a packet of dessicant inside. I will also mark with "fragile, do not stack".

Do you guys think that will be sufficient protection?

are you kidding me ? I would never let any movers touch my Kronos.

If it were my Kronos, I would move it myself via car. This assumes you making the drive. If not, you would have to invest in the hard case. If your co is paying for the move, I would have them pay for the case.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep all the original boxes, so it is not a problem for me.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been moved my pros several times and can say no that will not be enough spend the 300 for the case and carry it with you!
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my original box. I used professional movers too, and with several precious keyboards I had to make a choice as to which ones I carried in the car with me.
I decided to let the movers take my Kronos88, and being in the original box, there was no problem at all. Unless you have the original packing, I'd at least put it in some sort of rigid cardboard carton as well as wrapping it in bubble wrap...that is if you can't go out and buy a hard case for it.
It would be also worth sculpting some polystyrene end caps like the original, and especially something similar to cover the display to reduce pressure there.
I think if you do all that, it should be as good as the original packing.
RlaRed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I realized that, since they are shipping my car, I will just bubble-wrap the Kronos and put it inside the car Smile

"The graveyards are full of indispensable men" - General Charles De Gaulle
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As badly beat up as my steel reinforced gator hard case was, with my Korg triton extreme, i will never trust movers with anything less than a hard case like i had. The case took some damage but the Korg 88 was fine, and that was with added blanket and styrofoam padding in the case and around the Keyboard.

I would at least build a shipping crate for it out of plywood and put it in there with blankets and bubble wrap and styrofoam padding. I think with movers, they offer the option to crate your items for you, with standard wooden shipping crates. International shippers do that if not overland movers.
Geroge Kelly

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always let movers to help you in this matter for relocating across the country. Place all the goods into the moving boxes and pack it properly so that movers can move it safely.
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be covered by the removal firm's insurance anyway. It's worth checking that with them beforehand.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RlaRed wrote:
Thanks for the replies! I realized that, since they are shipping my car, I will just bubble-wrap the Kronos and put it inside the car Smile

Probably your best option. Maybe in the locked trunk, where no one can get at it. I have done that. Of course, I put soft padding all around (blankets, towels, pillows), then suitcases on the perimeter to prevent sliding.

As others said, no movers should be touching it, because there goes the vector stick, smashed screen, nicked sides, etc. Heck, even a keyboard tech nicked the crap out of my Kronos, in three places! If a tech can't take care of it, no one can. Just you.

I keep all my boxes in my attic crawlspace. Even the big OASYS box is still up there. Makes it easier to sell and ship gear, too.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***zombie thread alert**
davc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always move my gear in my SUV myself ...

tried shipping a well packed , in original box K2600XS = broke upon arrival !

i recently moved my mom back north , while inquiring about shipping her car , i was informed that Nothing can be left in the car ( insurance purposes ) .!?

if i had to let the shippers have my Kronos , i'd glue some thin wood panels inside the original box , and pack it so it couldn't move or be crushed ..!!
sumeiaverage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about the movers. It is always too stressful and too bothersome to do the moving yourself, and it takes too much time usually.
I use https://sekamoving.com/locations/new-jersey-movers/ every time I have to move from one rental property to another, and they help me to move all my belongings in a short time and leave the flat as clean as possible. Of course, I hire a cleaning service afterward to make sure the property is really clean, and the next tenants don’t have to clean up a lot and remove all the signs of my existence there. There is a lot more to take into consideration while moving, but these are the basics.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, for those that insist on moving their gear themselves ... how do you think the gear got to the shop you purchased it from in the first place?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: