Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why did they discontinue the Kronos X?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Why did they discontinue the Kronos X? Reply with quote

Does anyone know why they discontinued the Kronos X?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to release the Kronos 2, which is the current model.

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Why did they discontinue the Kronos X? Reply with quote

G wrote:
Does anyone know why they discontinued the Kronos X?

and just to re-trace the lineage.

Kronos X is 95%( my figure) the same machine as the original Kronos launched 6 yrs ago.

The only differences are :

- Bigger SSD installed as standard

- Maximum RAM installed as standard

- New branding with red X

-the mobo is the 525 instead of the 510 ( only SATA2 though)
- CPU is the Atom 1.8 instead of 1.66

I think I can see why Korg re-branded the Kronos to the X.

It makes sense to have the X until the K2 was launched.

I don't believe there are any factory new " X " models in the marketplace.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind is that the Kronos today is, from the users perspective, the same machine it was in 2011. As Greg pointed out, the main difference is the size of the SSD and the RAM being maxed out. Cosmetically, the body changed slightly with the model 2, gaining the wood sides.

I suspect that the main reason for the model changes is that the MOBO changed over time due to the availability of parts.

Owning an original 73, a K2-61 and having played with the LS for several days before returning it, I can tell you that there is no noticeable performance difference between any of the models. For example, switching from one Seq to another produces a slight lag, not matter which machine you're using.

The good thing about this is that the oldest Kronos and the newest can use the same OS with the same results. That's really good news for us early adopters.
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that the Kronos today is, from the users perspective, the same machine it was in 2011. As Greg pointed out, the main difference is the size of the SSD and the RAM being maxed out. Cosmetically, the body changed slightly with the model 2, gaining the wood sides.

I suspect that the main reason for the model changes is that the MOBO changed over time due to the availability of parts.

Owning an original 73, a K2-61 and having played with the LS for several days before returning it, I can tell you that there is no noticeable performance difference between any of the models. For example, switching from one Seq to another produces a slight lag, not matter which machine you're using.

The good thing about this is that the oldest Kronos and the newest can use the same OS with the same results. That's really good news for us early adopters.

Except that the Kronos X was much lighter than the Kronos 2. Almost 4 LBS.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg PA900, Korg NanoPad 2, Roland BA 330
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swarupmahapatra wrote:
danmusician wrote:

you could remove the wood end cheeks of the K2.

They weigh close to 2 pounds more than the plastic end pieces.
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
swarupmahapatra wrote:
danmusician wrote:

you could remove the wood end cheeks of the K2.

They weigh close to 2 pounds more than the plastic end pieces.

Thanks Greg!!

Never thought of that. Where can I get the plastic end caps for the Kronos 2?

19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as the wood end caps seem like nostalgia for days of analog, i can't help but recall seeing pictures of busted up Kronos with the gapping hole particularly in the end caps. Exposing the view of the insides.

Maybe a side effect of habits of standing keyboards up on their end plates and leaning them against the wall, or even carrying hard heavy equipment around kronos edges. I banged up against my wooden end plate once with a heavy item and the momentum of my weight and of what i was carrying.
I felt like i had knocked the end plate out about an inch, but nothing was out of place.

If that were the plastic end plate, another story.

Not my place to say no plastic end plates if you want them, but i would hold on to the wooden ones in case their intended design quality comes in need again.
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken", and i suspect the wooden end plates are the fix to what was broken too many times in the previous models.
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
As much as the wood end caps seem like nostalgia for days of analog, i can't help but recall seeing pictures of busted up Kronos with the gapping hole particularly in the end caps. Exposing the view of the insides.

Maybe a side effect of habits of standing keyboards up on their end plates and leaning them against the wall, or even carrying hard heavy equipment around kronos edges. I banged up against my wooden end plate once with a heavy item and the momentum of my weight and of what i was carrying.
I felt like i had knocked the end plate out about an inch, but nothing was out of place.

If that were the plastic end plate, another story.

Not my place to say no plastic end plates if you want them, but i would hold on to the wooden ones in case their intended design quality comes in need again.
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken", and i suspect the wooden end plates are the fix to what was broken too many times in the previous models.

+1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: