Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Workflow, creating a new Combi..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Workflow, creating a new Combi.. Reply with quote

So whats your workflow for creating a new combi?

I have a default combi, where channel 1 to 8 are set for sounds
1-5 layered to right hand
6-8 layered to left hand
9 is bass Karma
10 drums
11 to 13 karma
14 for solo voice top right
15 midi out channel 15 to arranger as chord input..
16 midi out channel 16 to Macbook and mainstage
All timbres muted by default
(There also is a 2nd default for full range combi's, witouth a split)

I allways start out by adding a copying a new program to timbre 1 including all effects (insert and master)
And after that more programs to the othertimbres with just the insert effects..or sometimes no effects..

When i have added all sounds, i start to finetune them... the only thing i dislike is the fact that i dont seem to be able to dive deep into a program to do some edditing, only the parameters available in the control page for the specific timbre..

In the end, i am quite happy with my workflow, but still looking for some advice based on others experiences..
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can dive deep into a program and edit it from the combi. Highlight a timber and use the drop down menu. Locate and select Edit program. Now, you will be modifying the actual program. To save it without losing the original, you have to save it in another location.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a default blank combi that I use as a template. I also have a 2-tier setup, with the MIDI controller set up with bass sounds on the left 2 octaves (MIDI channel 2) and other sounds as needed on the right 3 octaves (ch 3).

When using IFX, tho not a hard rule, I'll generally assign IFX # to match the track; for example, IFX 2 will often be a bass amp/cab sim for the bass guitar or bass synth sound.

As Geo has mentioned, you can select a timbre, then from the top right drop down menu, choose Edit program. I immediately save the new edited program to a new location, and the Combi automatically updates to point to that new sound. Also per Geo's recent suggestion, I am now exploring the Tone Adjust to quickly choose a ballpark sound then modify it and save it that way instead of modifying the original program.

Finally, you can use this very handy shortcut for efficiency:

==> REC/Write button

..to quickly write your edited combi/set list/program/whatever at its current location.

Last edited by psionic311 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
You can dive deep into a program and edit it from the combi. Highlight a timber and use the drop down menu. Locate and select Edit program. Now, you will be modifying the actual program. To save it without losing the original, you have to save it in another location.

Geo

How could i have missed this?

Thanks mate... i will test this tonight... and the changes are saved in the combi or in the program?
holdsg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Program will have to be saved/written separately (my understanding), but
if you save the new version of the Program to a different slot, and then save the COMBI that has that new tweaked Program in it, it will do both.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
How could i have missed this?

I've always wanted that capability and it finally became possible a couple of OS updates ago. It's absolutely awesome. You can do it from Combi or Sequencer.
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I love this forum.

Editing a program within a combi by using a drop down menu, then saving the program to a new location, all while still in the combi. That's a great time saver.

You guys are the bomb-diggity!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a template that I use. I just call up a blank combi and usually bounce back and forth between it and the various progs that I'm using to build the Combi. If I'm modifying a prog then I usually first copy it to a new location and then start tweaking it beforee I put it into the combi. Forgot about using the drop down although I do use it to write the prog into the combi. I often have various splits and velocity thingies happening too.
I'll usually decide first whether or not I want to use the TFX and MFX from my first Prog. Usually my first prog is the one that gets me started on the sound that I want but not always. It often depends on the song.
I can decide on the pitch; octave; of the particular prog. Sometimes I'll have a limiter in there to try and tame down any nasty transient frequencies too.

I guess when I really think about it, it's pretty much a hit or miss method but it works for me. Wink

Just keep fooling around and you never know what you'll come up with.

Try to do a lot of saves to a memory stick too. I don't often enough and I'm always loosing important sounds. It's 'cause I'm old and senile!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: