Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

System Update ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: System Update ? Reply with quote

It's being a long time since we got a system update for our Kronos.
What do you think about that ?
Schmooster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what Kronos you have. If it's an original then I think Korg has catered more than adequately to regular updates.
If it's a Kronos 2, then I think Korg has catered more than adequately to regular updates.

That's what I think about that.

What do you want? Relentless updates or a new workstation? Nothing ever seems to make anybody happy for more than 6 months these days - I don't think many people appreciate what rewriting code involves at all. Any enhancements will cause a plethora of bugs that need to be tested for and eradicated - it's not as simple as just adding a few lines of extra code - entire routines or sub-routines have to be rewritten and this is when the paths to existing routines can be left out or become erroneous - compiling still buggers up the code (and I've never quite understood that but it does). Meanwhile they're working on numerous other products. Plus you've got software and firmware - software are the big updates we get to anything accessible via the screen, firmware shouldn't really require changing unless the hardware itself does, or use of a particular aspect of the hardware changes in functionality.

There comes a point when 'interest and enthusiasm' begins to wain and coders get headaches from all the redundant code left behind after each update or release candidate and it must be like looking at a rats nest after all this time - I'm sure it's taken out eventually but it has to be 'commented' out to begin with in case it needs reinstating. The older the software gets historically and the more coders involved in piece-parts, the harder the entire process becomes to knit them all together without screwing something else up - look at iPhones - they're forever updating and every update brings new problems or reintroduces old ones that vanished 3 updates ago but now are back because they 'fixed' something else.

NormC can tell you all about the horrors of coding software for hardware; I used to write for FPGA's which is similar, it's still 'coding' but mainly lives in the electronics on EEPROM or flash and controls the electronics directly whereas the software is your user interface and control. The software is the main OS that runs everything and it has to be synchronous with the firmware so that everything runs smoothly - I'm sure we wouldn't accept the kind of updates that Apple provide for their phone users so in my opinion no news is good news.

PLUS we have 3 generations of Kronos with different hardware now so writing universal updates is extremely difficult (beyond a certain point). Eventually only the Kronos 2 will get updates I imagine, I don't know - but I do know it's not like asking for a new sound pack and I certainly have no complaints about updates - if it all works then what can an update provide? More polyphony? Doubtful. Faster Boot? You can do that yourself with your preload data.

I'd love to see a piano-roll but there's a reason it was dropped and so I don't think it'll happen. I'd love to see an external monitor hook-up but without retro-fit hardware that's not gonna happen. What else can they do that you don't already have? I've never witnessed the level of updates this board has had - the 1st gen Kronos is an absolute bargain for what you get in terms of original to the latest update - it's a whole new keyboard which for FREE is incredibly generous of KORG I think - I'm sure they could have sold it and people would have bought it for the new features. Kronos 2 is essentially the ultimate version of the original concept - I'm not sure how much more they can squeeze out of it.

Last edited by Schmooster on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
marc1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PLUS we have 3 generations of Kronos with different hardware so writing universal updates is extremely difficult. Eventually only the Kronos 2 will get them I imagine, I don't know - but I do know it's not like asking for a new sound pack.

This has been pointed out several times here on the forum. All three Kronos have similar hardware and every software update for the Kronos applied equally to all Kronos generations thus far.

Apart from that the service and maintenance of Kronos has been exemplary imho and considering the age of the product as well as the usual product cycles, there's not much left to be desired. The Kronos is a good, solid product as it is and I don't think we will see any major new software updates in the future, except for maybe a last bug fix update or something like that.
Schmooster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Similar' - but not the same. All 3 have different motherboards AFAIK, 2 have different processors and possibly other electronics on the motherboards - they're 'similar' like 2 similar PC's are 'similar' - which isn't the same as being 'The same' - small changes make big differences. Also, certain updates apply to the Kronos 2 only (1.8b?) I can't recall whit it's for - firmware probably.

They're 'similar' in that they run the same software. Most decent PC's run Windows 10 - that makes them 'similar'. But they're also vastly different.
JFree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the first Kronos and just bought a new one. I actually have been impressed that they have continued support the way that they have.
Schmooster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself as well, so much so that I've not yet found justification in making the expensive upgrade from the original to the Kronos 2. I don't believe the additional benefits warrant the expense - plus I don't like the side palled - but that's thanks to Kurzweil not Korg - they're so much more messy when damaged than heavy-duty polycarbonate.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck I'm still one or two updates behind!
JFree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmooster wrote:
Myself as well, so much so that I've not yet found justification in making the expensive upgrade from the original to the Kronos 2. I don't believe the additional benefits warrant the expense - plus I don't like the side palled - but that's thanks to Kurzweil not Korg - they're so much more messy when damaged than heavy-duty polycarbonate.

I actually only bought one because my original is down for the count. The rental costs for the gigs I have made it more logical to buy one. Function/style wise I'm still very happy with the original.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Depends what Kronos you have.

I have a Kronos 2

Quote:
What do you want? Relentless updates or a new workstation?

Absolutely not ! This workstation is powerful enough for my use.
Just remember that some engines have been added lately to the OASIS, as option bundle (LAC-1 and MOD7).
So, supposing a new engine on the Kronos (as a Mono-Poly engine, for example, since it already exists as PC software) is not a complete fantasy !
marc1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, supposing a new engine on the Kronos (as a Mono-Poly engine, for example, since it already exists as PC software) is not a complete fantasy !

But it is highly unlikely, because back then the Oasys was meant to be an Open Architecture System as its name, the acronym implies, whereas the Kronos never had been marketed as such.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:
Quote:

But it is highly unlikely, because back then the Oasys was meant to be an Open Architecture System as its name, the acronym implies, whereas the Kronos never had been marketed as such.

Well, all the Kronos system is based on a Linux software. So, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to add some code to it. If the system had been a closed one, I suppose it would have been impossible to add "Fast Layer" and "Fast Split" !
marc1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, all the Kronos system is based on a Linux software. So, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to add some code to it. If the system had been a closed one, I suppose it would have been impossible to add "Fast Layer" and "Fast Split" !

Of course, it would always be possible for Korg to add new things. But what they've added thus far were improvements and extensions of the functionality of what's already there. They haven't added any new engine yet and so far in the game it seems rather unlikely that they will. Imho it's much more likely that they will come out with a Kronos replacement in about 1 or 2 years.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:
Quote:

Of course, it would always be possible for Korg to add new things. But what they've added thus far were improvements and extensions of the functionality of what's already there. They haven't added any new engine yet and so far in the game it seems rather unlikely that they will. Imho it's much more likely that they will come out with a Kronos replacement in about 1 or 2 years.

Yes, I suppose you're right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: