Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting a 2nd keyboard controller to Kronos.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
engineerjoel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Connecting a 2nd keyboard controller to Kronos. Reply with quote

I understand that adding a 2nd keyboard controller (such as a Kontrol 49) to a Kronos will allow you to play a different Kronos-sounds than what is assigned to be locally played by the Kronos itself.

What if your Kronos is connected to a laptop in which you are using the Kronos to play softsynths (such as Korg Legacy Collection, Kontakt, etc..).

My question is: Is it possible to (route) assign the 2nd keyboard controller to play the softsynths from the laptop as well?

thanks,
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want second keyboard to be routed through kronos , instead of connecting it directly to pc/ laptop.

Short answer is no, Kronos does not echo incoming midi to it's outputs.
I have another keyboard connected to Kronos and other midi devices connected to Kronos midi thru. For a complete hardware chain, but my otherkeyboard gets connected directly to my ipad or pc depending on use case.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
engineerjoel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
Why do you want second keyboard to be routed through kronos , instead of connecting it directly to pc/ laptop.

Because in some instances I may want the 2nd keyboard to trigger sounds in the Kronos, and in other cases I may want to use the 2nd keyboard to trigger sounds from the laptop, OR trigger both Kronos and laptop at the same time.
CNY Kronos User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what DAW you're using but I do this in Ableton Live 9 quite easily using the keyboard rack which handles all of the mapping.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

engineerjoel wrote:
amit wrote:

Because in some instances I may want the 2nd keyboard to trigger sounds in the Kronos, and in other cases I may want to use the 2nd keyboard to trigger sounds from the laptop, OR trigger both Kronos and laptop at the same time.

Then why not route second keyboard to kronos through the PC/laptop.
That can take care of all advanced setups /filters that you want.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Kronos MIDI Thru if you use MIDI IN/THRU DIN5 sockets.
Otherwise (USB MIDI) it would be easier (or even only possible way) to do all routings in DAW/computer.
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you guys answer a couple of basic questions for me on this subject. I am new to Kronos (5 months) and am using it live for worship svc at church. Absolutely love it, even though I am a neophyte.

I have no computer experience. In fact, I don't even own a desktop PC, but I am looking into one that is fast enough and has a large hard drive.

My questions:
1. If I purchase a Native Instruments Kontakt Kontrol S61 and associated software can I access the Kontakt 11 software from my Kronos as well as the S61 controller?
2. Can I sample sounds from Kontakt (or other software like Omnisphere) and store them on Kronos or do I have to access them through the computer?

Tia,
4God
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running both the Kronos and the Kontrol S61 to the same computer should allow for both to access the software.

Yes, you can sample sounds from the software into the Kronos. Sampling into the Kronos is fairly easy...sampling in general is not. Sampling is as much an art as it is a process.

I have sampled about 10 different sounds from Omnisphere into the Kronos. Big pads and strings etc. I too play in church and love the Kronos. I also run our stems from the Kronos.

There's a lot to learn but the Kronos is capable!

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx Geo - I have heard the term "latency" used a lot. Any problems with sounds happening when they are supposed to happen?

Also, do these programs (Kontakt & Omnisphere) need additional software to work or do I just USB from Kronos (or the S61) into the computer to access them?

I assume I continue to use my L/R main out of the Kronos to my DI box. I'd add an audio/midi interface like the 'NI Komplete Audio 6' to get the sound out of the computer, correct?

4God
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latency can be an issue if your setting are not optimized. However, it should not be a problem with modern equipment like it used to be.

Kontact can run "stand alone" but Omnisphere needs a VST host. There are free VST hosts available online.

I connect one USB cable from the Kronos to the computer. That handles both MIDI and audio. The audio from the computer actually mixes in with the Kronos sounds and exits the L/R jacks.

I still use N.I. Kore 2 as a host. You may want to find a VST host that can "host" both Kontact and Omni. This makes it easier I think when making presets etc.

Geo
HP i7 8GB Win 10
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated. Been watching you-tube and reading articles trying to learn. Plowing is slow when you have to stop every two sentences and look up another acronym. lol

This forum is a great help.
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geo, et al,

Am I understanding correctly that Kronos will access the Komplete 11 software w/o using another keyboard? i.e. If I purchase an adequate PC (looking at a 3.4 Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM, 2 TB HDD, windows 10 pro) and Komplete 11 software, I don't really need the Kontrol S61 keyboard?

Also, I don't need an audio/midi interface to send the sound from the PC to my DI box? The Kronos would access the Kontakt library, retrieve the needed sound(s) and send the sound(s) out the main L/R outputs?

Can I still get my Kronos sounds at the same time I am accessing the Komplete software?

Can I add Kontakt sounds to my combis by using midi to access the Kontakt software or do I have to sample the sounds into the Kronos before I can do that?

Sorry for so many questions that probably seem really basic to you. Purchasing a PC and adding it to my setup is a completely different world from the hardware synths with which I am familiar.

Really trying to decide what my first step should be.

Tia, 4God
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By connecting the Kronos to the computer with a USB cable, MIDI from the Kronos can be used to trigger any sound in Komplete. The Komplete sounds can sound along with the Kronos sounds. You can dictate what sounds play, where on the keyboard they play, whether they play alone or layered with Kronos sounds.

The audio from the computer sounds can be routed through the same USB cable to the Kronos and mixed with the Kronos sounds.

You are not sampling he computer sounds, you're playing them from the keyboard and hearing the he result from the same keyboard. Just look at the computer as a MIDI sound module.

Geo
HP i7 8GB Win 10
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. Not needing the S61 keyboard or an audio interface means I can allocate more of my $$ towards software. 4God
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it you can pull up anything in Komplete from your computer but the Kronos will not run the Komplete Kontrol software itself, as I understand it. I could be wrong. I did just now run Komplete kontrol form my mac with out the NI keyboard or any keyboard connected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: