Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DS-DAC-10R as a live recorder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
afshin2003

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: DS-DAC-10R as a live recorder Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

It's been about a year I'm playing with DS-DAC-10R as a generic DAC. Now I'm going to record my daughter's live piano performance. I'm not sure if what kind of microphone I need or is it possible to connect mic's output to my DAC's lines?

Appreciate all comments,

Afshin
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DS-DAC-10R input sensitivity in phono input setting is nominally 5mV RMS, with a maximum input level of 100mV RMS, so is well suited to use with microphones. Stereo microphony is recommmended to get the best realism for recording piano and to make the most of the dynamic range of the DS-DAC-10R. Something like the Rode NT4 microphone might be worth considering, since it has a reasonably low noise floor, equivalent to 16dBA (a quiet room being 30dBA, and a broadcast studio being typically 20dBA). The NT4 output is given as 12mV RMS at 94dBA, so well clear of the maximum, even for recording very loud sounds. Neither of the two output leads supplied with the NT4 has RCA jacks suitable for the inputs on the interface, so some form of adapter and cables will be necessary e.g. a 1/8" stereo jack to RCA adapter plus two RCA to RCA cables.

There are many cheaper microphones out there if you just want to suck it and see, but quality generally follows cost, unsurprisingly.

afshin2003

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Voip,

many thanks for the detailed response. I'll go for a NT4!

Best,

Afshin
afshin2003

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voip,

Considering input sensitivity, I'm using a Yamaha AS-2100 amp. Its phono input sensitivities are 2.5 mVrms on MM and 100 uVrms on MC. What do you think using Yamaha's phono stage amplifier to connect NT4 and using REC OUT to connect to DS-DAC-10R ? I guess its RIAA equalizer is not suitable for mics. Isn't it?

Best,

Afshin
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RIAA equalisation will make the microphone audio very bassy with much reduced high end. Also, the microphone will overload the phono input quite easily, so not recommended.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: