Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Kronos with VST host.. the choices..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Using Kronos with VST host.. the choices.. Reply with quote

I am specifically not stating DAW in my question...because that would for most people directly refer to recording...

No, i am specifically interested in what DAW or VST host you would use for preforming and being creative... with Reason 9.5 getting VST support, things are changing for me...

Comming from Mainstage, i am currently trying out the 30 months free trial, and for creativity and adding vst sounds to the Kronos it so far prooves brilliant with the Combiner.. there is a huge amount of creative tools in Reason... the options for arpeggiating are endless..

Any one else considering or using Reason 9.5 in combination with the Kronos?

Other options that come to mind are bitwig and the upcomming Ableton live 10, but so far Reason basically offers all the things i use in Mainstage as a basic host... while being so much more fun and creative to use...

Looking for opinions..
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Windows side of things bloxpander is quite a decent host with many performance oriented features.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Schmooster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for the emphasis on Live work then checkout the various iterations of Cantible - a real no nonsense, solid host with additional features - but it's rock solid because it's not bogged down with DAW features, it's primarily a host - although it does have some nice morphing ability.

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/download/

Here's an old review: http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/topten-software-catabile-2-0-performer-215477

It's up to version 3.0 now but well worth a look in my opinion.

For the Home or Studio - much tougher to choose; I've tried Cubase, Sonar, and now I use FLStudio Producer since it's become really professional quality with low latency, the option to use RAM or CPU threading by bridging (not that ram is an issue with anymore PC's unless you're still using a 32-bit OS in which case it's 2GB, as opposed to 8TB now in 64-bit) 8TB lol??

I used to regularly use reason before Kontakt because of its instruments, it's an amazing piece of kit in its own right and with additional VST Support I think I might take another look at it - I can't believe they've finally crumbled under the pressure to implement it - it may just become my new DAW if it's stable.

Reason with VST support? After all these years? Wow. I dreamt of that lol. I do like their 'rackmount' style and cable routing; I've always loved that aspect as well as the incredible synths, rompler, sample player, even Redrum etc and the effects? Excellent. I wrote quite a lot of stuff years ago using that - in the days before Spectrasonics I mean.

But playing Live I just don't trust PC's or Mac's not to go off and do something that causes a pop or stutter, even though FLStudio rarely if ever does it anymore with 2 CPU's running quad cores, they're still the most 'worrying' aspect of the entire rig, and it does 'hang' every few months out of the blue - but nothing is fully dependable - PC's have evolved but they're still a little of everything whilet not being entirely dedicated to one specific thing - which is why they're so versitile - but also why I still can't fully trust them. They're like women with PMT - 'has she got it? Is it that time again? Will she blow? Who fekkin knows until it happens' kinda mistrust. You can never ask a woman if it's 'that time of the month' yet my wife still apologises afterwards if she's had a blowout and denied it's got anything to do with 'that' at the time lol. God love her. Someone has to. No I do love my wife, my girlfriend doesn't - which is a shame.......

I did contemplate a hardware rack VST host a few years ago but it was very pricey - I don't recall the name right this second but it was the very first hardware based dedicated VST host and came with some demo versions of popular ones - my intention was to wait for some positive feedback on it's performance but it never happened - I wonder how that's developed?

http://museresearch.com/products/index.php

Receptor! That was it - then I remembered the Seelake Audio Station who's main selling point was 'Receptor but without the negatives' at NAMM 2014 - so I'm guessing Receptor still has some issues, but maybe this is worth a look?

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2591738/Hardware_VST_Player_Module_See
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Cantabile (V3) it is my live host for backing tracks, light shows (using the DXMIS hardware and VST to trigger it) and of course soft synths.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Mac then MainStage I would think is the best option, why do you not want to use that?

Edit: or is it that you want VSTs rather than AUs?
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
If you have a Mac then MainStage I would think is the best option, why do you not want to use that?

Mainstage is great for layering/splitting sounds...
Its not so good for creating advanced backings...

But in the end, i guess its probably most for trying something different, something new, and espescially something fun.. i am now 7 days into the trial, and the creation process is very much fun...

However, there is also downsides to Reason, like creating a playlist..which shows its not really a livehost for keyboardists..

And about Cantible, i would rate Mainstage higher then Cantible..
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Author of Cantabile is currently working on an OS X port, so worth keeping an eye out for.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:

But in the end, i guess its probably most for trying something different, something new, and espescially something fun.. i am now 7 days into the trial, and the creation process is very much fun...

However, there is also downsides to Reason, like creating a playlist..which shows its not really a livehost for keyboardists..

Ah, ok got you.

Have you looked at Bitwig, they do a demo you can try.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
Bachus wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:

Ah, ok got you.

Have you looked at Bitwig, they do a demo you can try.

Yes, Bitwig is incredible for creating those backings, like it more the ableton live as its workflow is much cleaner... i also love the midi effects and how it handles automation...

However, i dont think its very good for creating a keyboard setup.. so when using bitwig, i would have to use Bitwig as well as mainstage... (or stick to Kronos for the backings, which also works very well)

Reason however has a device called combinator, which almost works like a mini mainstage on its own... and i really like using tools like Dr OctoRex..

https://youtu.be/SmWCOrvFdRo

Having 8 of these running makes it work like having 8 loops/tracks in Bitwig/ableton live... and just trigger them from an old novation launchpad i have laying around..
Then add to that a combinatore controlled by the ext section of Kronos and we are having fun...

And thats just one of the many flexible ways to set up things in Reason...
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You should look at containers in bitwig, they are just like combinators but I would guess a bit more powerful. You can also use the containers to host loops as well I guess.

Edit: yep using the drum container, each "drum" can hold a sampler containing a loop. You can then trigger these loops, you can also choke them so that only one can play at a time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: