Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EM-1 Dead? Hot IC34

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coldwartinker

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: EM-1 Dead? Hot IC34 Reply with quote

Was using it fine last month. Went to turn it on this month and nothing-no leds, no segmented display, nothing. I got her open and started probing around checking for the usual suspects of fuzes, caps, and scratched traces. I was checking voltages around IC34 when I touched it and it was scalding hot. All of the major board voltages check out on the test points and everything looks intact. Using the service manual I started probing around the other ICs and they all check out voltage-wise. I have no oscilloscope. Has anyone seen anything similar and am I screwed? I have usually dealt with voltage not getting to things in the past but am stumped on this one.
Big thanks in advance to any and all help Smile

*I have done some tinkering in my life but am not an EE so any help would be appreciated.
coldwartinker

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Bueller....Bueller....Bueller Reply with quote

Anyone?
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, this is beyond most peoples' technical scope which is probably why nobody responded. Sounds bad though. I don't d*** with IC repairs; to me the fact that you were tracing voltages is pretty impressive. "Scalding Hot" sounds like something went terribly wrong in that IC though, you might have to see if you can source a replacement.
coldwartinker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Thanks highesttree Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and the kind words Smile I am just learning as I go along. I don't have fancy equipment so am relying on logic and readings from the multimeter. Unfortunately I think you are correct that the IC is fried. I found a couple of suspect caps that rang shorted but will have to pull them to make sure. The IC is luckily not a masked rom or anything but a ram chip that I have neither the part sources or skill to replace on an smd level (for that many pins anyway lol). I ended up calling around to a couple of "authorized Korg Repair centers" and they laughed at me and told me it was a waste of time. One place was really nice though and the guy came to the same conclusion in that it was an IC that would be hard to source without another parts unit and even then bench fees would be hitting the 200 dollar mark which then makes it a labor of love (and even then who knows if that is the end of the failing components). I really hate giving up on a piece of gear, but this was meant to be a gift to a friend anyway so I just have to throw in the towel.
Thanks again for your response and hope you keep on jamming Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: