Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ES2 Step Jump record and MOD FX 9 - Dynamically re-starting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: ES2 Step Jump record and MOD FX 9 - Dynamically re-starting Reply with quote

ES2 Step Jump recording and MOD FX 9 - Dynamically re-setting start/end points across sample's own sequence.

I had a wonky success at this previously using a commercial loop but had better experience last night.

2 things to consider:

MOD FX 9 -

Mod depth will change the start of a sample.

Gate time will change the end point.

METHOD: Marry this action with Step Jump recording as the sample plays across a sequence.

TEST-

86 Bpm

Resampled a short pattern - half a measure -

Kick on 1.1

CLose Hat on 1.3

Snare on 1.5

Trimmed the end off the resample to end of the snare and saved.

Imported to a new 86 bpm pattern to a Pad.

Twiddled the Mod depth and gate times to get a clean version for each sound and *wrote* down the Mod depth settings and gate time settings for each. I think I kept the gate time the same at 28 for each but your mileage may vary according to the length of sound in sample.

Sequenced that part - wanted simple test beat of kicks on 1 and 9. Snares on 5 and 13. Close hats on upbeats.

Of course you get the first sound on everything if you press play now..

Now Step jump record - check Brian Maxwell's latest youtube if you are unclear as to what that is about.

Using step jump record input your Depth Mod settings (start point) at each step you wish a certain sound to play.

I was pretty successful getting each one where I wanted.

Observations:

This pattern was able to be sped up okay - using pitch knob and Sample motion direction was fun too and brought out some good stuff on a fairly moronic beat with delay added.

The kick had a longer decay and got stomped on (of course) if placed it closer to a following sample - old skool style. Further testing needed on using shorter sounds and placement of them across the entire sample.

It's worth investigating and also probably with more fun sound textures across the sample.

I dont know enough to say how the Modtsep and Gate time are arriving at their divisions - eg is it easier to divide separate sounds on a smaller length sample than a longer length... and was it because i placed the sounds on convenient divisions of the bpm measure.. I had trouble with the commercial loop i=on getting closer to begin of sound I wanted...

anyways.. there it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: