Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still trying to manage sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pike

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Still trying to manage sounds Reply with quote

I'm still trying to find a proper way to manage my sounds - what with 36 presets, 8 fav buttons and 3 soundsets, and my own custom presets ...

I would love to know, for each of the sounds in the soundsets, what the used samples are. I can't see in the editor if two 'presets' are just variations of the same thing, or really different sources. The soundpack descriptions say fuzzy things like

- 1.1 The tine-based electric piano “par excellence” (..)
    - 1.2 The same tine-based piano (..)
    - 1.3 This is another essential setup (..)

So the first two are the same sounds, with different settings, I guess. But it could be new samples of the same piano. And the third ?

Any way to find out ?
pike

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested, here's the descriptions from all 3 soundsets in english

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QH4983yw6_2kx-tfQeUgfClq4hrWJmBl9P_Ae88LX0Q/edit?usp=sharing
unclebyron

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pike, thanks for the info.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, here's the sounds being played WITH the definitions:

https://youtu.be/EjUkaYqIFHo
slug

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you used the editor? It shows what samples are being used along with all non panel settings for each preset.
Gambold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there is the problem of too many choices. You can drive yourself crazy trying to whittle down 132 options down to 44. My suggestion is - don't bother. Here's how:

1) Accept the fact that 90% of your playing time is going to be with maybe 6 different sounds. A piano, a Rhodes, an Organ, maybe a Clav, some synth or a piano+strings. You're not going to be using all 36 sounds equally. Most of them you will almost never use.

2) Start with the factory load as is. Find your 6 or so sounds you use 90% of the time. Take your time with this - like WEEKS.

3) Then check the soundpacks to see if their versions of your fave 6 or so are better. If so - load them in.

4) Don't worry about the Presets. Use them for Presets if you really need presets - but given that everything is dial-based, you won't need many. If you like bass-splits, soundpack 2 has a bunch in the presets section.
Gambold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should qualify this - rather than dialing through 12 electric pianos, you should focus on one or two of them and practice working all the modifications the SV-1 makes available to you.

You will get a lot more out of the board if you learn the nuances of the amps, reverb, the effects and how they best fit the electric piano you are working with - rather than slogging through emulations of Hohner Pianets or Korg SG-1s that you will never use anyway.

The same with the acoustic piano - there's a handful but stick with one or two. A main one and then maybe a vintage or detuned to mix it up. Work the equalizer on these.

Clavs - I don't use them. They sound cool though. Organs - the choice is pretty limited here so decisions are made for you. "Other" - as needed, but you didn't buy the SV-1 to play synth brass or Solina strings, did you.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience, I also recommend to spend quality time – a lot of time in calm conditions when you can concentrate – to try and compare all the sounds in the available (factory and custom) soundsets. After you can make your own soundset with the help of the editor software by collecting the 36 sounds you liked the most from the different sources. (And although it's possible, I wouldn't use the FAVORITES to store additional unique sounds there. I think it's better to keep this place for the most important variations of the 36 sounds, e.g. temporary settings for live situations.)

You can use the default settings for these sounds (they are good Cool ) but if you want you can also improve them by the onboard controls or the editor software.

Simply from the panel, I recommend you try the AMPs (in low amount, max. up to the half), EQs (increasing frequencies), REVERBs/DELAYs (in moderate/higher amounts) for almost all(!) of the sounds. I guess you will be surprised by the results. These settings can highly effect the dynamics, the tones, and improve playability/usability for you.

Then try adding PRE FX and/or MODULATION FX if needed (not always). Sometimes they only colour the sound but in some cases they can give a really new character.

In my opinion the SV-1 is one of the best concepts from many point of view, I love it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: