Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos sampling -- 1) from you tube vid ;2) assign to note

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myanowitz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Kronos sampling -- 1) from you tube vid ;2) assign to note Reply with quote

How can I sample a snippet from a You tube video.

How I can assign a sample to a single note. (I'm not having any luck with p.150 of the operating manual, and the 30 minute vid on sampling doesn't seem to directly address either of the 2 questions.)

My goal is to basically be ablle to play a small section of a song (i.e. a bird call from "The Bird", a siren from Virtual DJ mix, etc.

Thanks in advance.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do every step specified in Operation Guide page 149.

Also, make sure to select the correct input under the Audio Input Tab, see page 691 to 700 etc in the Parameter Guide (PG), set the volume level, etc. In the case of a YouTube excerpt, you will then need to plug your computer audio out in one of the inputs available in the Kronos, ideally USB 1/2 as the Source Bus (see PG page 699), etc.
myanowitz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much. Spent several hours getting acquainted with Audacity. Will review your instructions tomorrow, and reply/reposted if I'm still having issues.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi myanowitz,

No problem, I remember the first few times I tried to sample I was looking for the right tab and options every time. The Kronos interface takes a little time to get accustomed to, but like anything else after a bit of practice everything falls into place.

I remember months ago watching a few long videos on YouTube about sampling with the Kronos and thought they were not very useful either. Often people just record while improvising with their Webcam doing the videos. Image quality is often poor/unstable, and the listener can't hardly focus on the topic, since it is derailed into too many off-topic bifurcations and blabla, etc.

I was thinking to create a more "old school" video about sampling and looping samples on the Kronos (like how to record/multisample a complete instrument), but I doubt many would be interested, as nowadays most people just want to play long samples of song beats or sound effects.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all my popular music collection on Kronos. I sampled entire songs from Youtube music videos of my favorite songs and musician.
I store them as wave files on external USB storage, so i never run out of space on Kronos. Also i can play them back directly from the external USB storage.

So just sample the whole song if you want rather than having to go back to Youtube everytime you want to start over again or sample more of it. Have the whole thing in kronos and then load it into sampling mode to dissect into parts and pieces that you can then save as new wave files/samples.

Sample the whole song from Youtube and then work out the details on kronos. You can slice up and truncate each slice, time stretch and even resample through effects and/or resample with other sounds layered in for a whole new fattend sound -based on the original excerpt.
I actually have most of my sampling work being the recording of entire youtube music videos, just as a personal music collection for home listening or even fill in music for when i rarely play out at venues, but take a break from playing or just not in the mood to play more with my hands.
Even my Ipad listening music is 90% music videos i sampled off of youtube using kronos, with added kronos effects and then converted to MP3 on my music file apps.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most easy way is to add an ipad to the kronos and then start youtube on it and press record to record the sample.

But you can also record it with audacity on your computer and then transfer those samples to the kronos and then import those and assign them to keyzones in your kronos.

i've explained all the steps for the kronos in this tutorial, skip to 3:49 to see the Kronos part of working with samples.
myanowitz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Sampling Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your recommendations everyone. Haven't figured out how to assign it, but worked the growing pains with Audacity. Still don't know how to extract the vocals from the recording.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: