Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KARMA WITHOUT DRUM TRACK?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: KARMA WITHOUT DRUM TRACK? Reply with quote

I'm still new to the KRONOS, and initially will be using it as a Live keyboard with my band, so won't be using the Karma DrumTrack in this situation.

Can anyone point me to some Tutorials (YouTube or such) that deals with KARMA without Drums. All the Tutes I've found so far seem to assume that drum tracks will be wanted, but I'd like to use Karma to get synth-pulses and modulations etc, but not have any sequenced drums.

When I use Kronos for more soundtrack, filmic, and solo work, I will use the more sequenced aspects, but for now it's more Old School, live musicians, in a band, wanting to use the great engines of Kronos for sounds.

Any advice appreciated...
iMAC OSX 10.11.3, 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB Ram | MacBookPro OSX 10.10, 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram | A+H Qu16 | ProTools 12.6 | Korg Kronos2 61 | MicroKorg | N.I. Komplete - Kontrol | Alesis DM10 | Avid Eleven Rack | Slate VMS One | Fender, Maton, Epiphone Guitars |Allen+Heath Qu-16 | Etc Etc...
mikeyd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might try posting this on KARMAS website and see if you get some suggestions as well.
They are at:http://www.karma-lab.com

I'm not near my KRONOS so don't want to speculate
off the top off my head but one of the things you can do is copy a program or combi to an empty slot and try experimenting turning the drum tracks off.
It won't affect the original and it's a great way to learn.

Good luck!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choosing any synth program and turning on KARMA will give you a decent idea of what it can do. Enabling (or disabling) drum track is a separate button, although in combi mode it's true KARMA could be driving a drum program as well.

Don't forget to set the control surface mode to RT/KARMA and move some sliders around.

In any case, using overly rhythmic events with a live band is tricky, unless you retrigger often or your drummer is playing with click (and even then I've found it tricky).
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'll have a fiddle around, and also check the Karma site.

As for the "LIVE' aspect and staying in sync etc, I'm assuming that I'll be able to use the TAP-TEMPO button to get close to the Live Drum / Band tempo.

We don't use a Click atm (i've done that back in the '80s) but may do so in the future for newer material.
iMAC OSX 10.11.3, 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB Ram | MacBookPro OSX 10.10, 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram | A+H Qu16 | ProTools 12.6 | Korg Kronos2 61 | MicroKorg | N.I. Komplete - Kontrol | Alesis DM10 | Avid Eleven Rack | Slate VMS One | Fender, Maton, Epiphone Guitars |Allen+Heath Qu-16 | Etc Etc...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can use tap tempo of course. I have a variable success rate with this
I feel I can tap quite tight with the drummer but even a slight difference will drift over time. Not to mention a slight drift from the drummer will also be enough to throw off your carefully synced tempo. Still, for short bits it may work.
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I figured, and for successive 'short bursts' within the same song just Re=TapTempo
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the easiest thing to do in Karma and drum track. Selecting wether you play with or without drums.
Turning Karma on or off at the Karma switch which is also near the Drum track switch. Turn off the drum track switch to remove any drum track. Then the "Latch" switch is next in order.

Karma will not drive drums itself unless a drum program is selected or you assign Karma to a Combi timbre or track that has a drum progam assigned.

Basically Karma will drive only the program you have selected and any timbre or track you have assigned to the same midi channel as Karma module Midi I/O has.
Drum track is separate from Karma but there is a "link to drum track" function in Karma. That isn't so important for basic use of Karma and not important where you actually have drum track itself set to off.

Just set the drum track switch to off and use Karma on non drum kit programs.

Drum track is easy to figure out by itself but Videos on Karma are what you really want to focus on. Karma labs website and youtube channel is a good place for answers to the complex stuff. It is almost impossible to avoid the complex stuff in Karma, even if you try to just use it in its most basic setup. The reason is that preset programs and combis using karma ,are not all set up the same in terms of Karma. So what you get accustomed to with karma in one preset program will only be relevant until you find another program you like but karma is set up differently there. Then you have to dig into Karma to find what aspects are making the difference

Karma in program mode is the easiest place to start because it is slimmed down to one Module and you don't have Midi I/0 section to distract from going straight in and learning the GE parameters and controls.
In combi and sequencer, you will have to set up Midi I/O per any or each of 4 karma modules before you can even get Karma to work on any track or timbre. Not as simple as just turning the karma switch on in combi and sequencer mode, unless in a preset with the Midi I/O already set up.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to understand the difference between a KARMA Module driving drums with a Drum GE, and the Drum Track feature. The Drum Track button/feature is not part of KARMA. It's a feature that allows you to playback a fixed drum pattern that cannot be modified to do anything but play the pattern.

Many combis, on the other hand, have one of the four KARMA Modules generating drum grooves using a Drum GE (Generated Effect). These types of drum patterns can be modified in countless ways in real-time by the various KARMA parameters and assigned controllers.

The point I am making is that sometimes the drums might be coming from the Drum Track feature, and other times they might be coming from a KARMA module. Turning off the Drum Track button will not necessarily stop the drums if they are being generated by KARMA. In that case you would need to turn off the particular KARMA Module that is generating the drums.

But yes - you can do many things with KARMA related to pulsing, gating, and animating program sounds without using KARMA to generate drum grooves.

VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I'll experiment with the suggestions and report back in due time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: