Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Communication error when using Sound Editor/SysEx Librarian
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzguar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Communication error when using Sound Editor/SysEx Librarian Reply with quote

I had obtained microkorg patches (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HohnDeW_0pQ) and was sent a .zip of the patches in .mid data. I had just purchased the patch pack and attempted to 'receive' the factory patches to my computer, but the software read ‘MIDI ERROR MicroKorg couldn’t respond’. The same message was showing when I tried to transmit the custom patches into my MicroKorg.

I do have a Macbook Air and also downloaded SysEx Librarian. I downloaded the software and tried loading the patches into my MicroKorg. One thing somebody said suddenly made it work is they set 'Local' to 'Off' and after that it would connect. I have no idea why that would help. I also needed to turn Local back 'on' to use the keyboard on the MicroKorg. The option for turning ‘local’ to ‘off’ still has not worked for me. I even tried sending the files to all 3 ‘destinations’ under SysEx (port 1, port 2, focusrite interface)

Here is the exact MIDI to USB that I have https://www.victsing.com/products/pc-to-music-keyboard-adapter-cord and the audio interface I use is the Focusrite 18i8.

Shocked Confused Crying or Very sad
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

This MIDI "interface" is probably your problem. These USB MIDI leads seem fine for general MIDI traffic when playing your instrument, but their data buffers are usually not sized for SYSEX data which is much larger. This results in chopped and corrupted data packets.

Have you tried using the MIDI ports on the Focusrite? Even if you usually use them for another synth, you could try it out temporarily to isolate the issue.

I use a Focusrite 2i2 to send SYSEX with no issues. A good low cost bomb proof MIDI interface is the M-Audio MIDISPORT 1x1 or 2x2.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
jazzguar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:

Have you tried using the MIDI ports on the Focusrite? Even if you usually use them for another synth, you could try it out temporarily to isolate the issue.

The MIDI ports on the Focusrite act fine when I play my MK through a DAW. But how does this solve the issue at hand? Am I understanding you correctly?
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention a midi to USB cable .
Are you using this or the focusrite midi ports to connect & transmit the sys ex to microkorg?
jazzguar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spheric El wrote:
You mention a midi to USB cable .
Are you using this or the focusrite midi ports to connect & transmit the sys ex to microkorg?

I'm using the midi to USB by having the IN connected to the MK and the OUT connected to the Focusrite.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzguar wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:

The MIDI ports on the Focusrite act fine when I play my MK through a DAW. But how does this solve the issue at hand? Am I understanding you correctly?

Hi,

I am suggesting you temporarily forget this "USB MIDI Lead" and try connecting your MicroKorg via the MIDI ports on the Focusright and try the SYSEX transfer. If this works, you know the issue is with the USB MIDI Lead and you can look to replace it. If you have the same issues via the Focusrite you may have a different issue.

You mention an MS2000 in the thread title. Is that usually connected to the Focusrite? Are transfers OK with that? What if you try and do a transfer to the MS2000 via the USB MIDI lead?

There should be no SYSEX problems with the Focusrite, so give it a go.

This is what I would try if I had your problem. HTH.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
jazzguar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
You mention an MS2000 in the thread title. Is that usually connected to the Focusrite? Are transfers OK with that? What if you try and do a transfer to the MS2000 via the USB MIDI lead?
/quote]

I am using a MicroKorg for this application, not the MS2000
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you've plugged the USB into pc aswell?
This ain't the way. Unplug the midi cable from the focusrite. This is ment to go into the other socket on your mKorg. Its a two way cable system ,one for transmission of pc to mk and the other for inputting notes from mk keyboard into comp daw. This is when we would use local control off to stop howl around/midi feed back.
(I hope I'm understanding you Smile )
The problem may well be your USB to midi cable. If it don't back up now try to...
Find a standard single midi cable (non USB) and connect from focusrite midi out socket (i think it has standard midi sockets,correct me if wrong- difficult to see on mobile) to microkorg midi input.
If you want to back up first ,either buy 2nd cable or connect the single midi from MK midi output to focusrite In, do your back up then switch cable to pc out = mk in.
jazzguar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spheric El wrote:
And you've plugged the USB into pc aswell?
This ain't the way. Unplug the midi cable from the focusrite. This is ment to go into the other socket on your mKorg. Its a two way cable system ,one for transmission of pc to mk and the other for inputting notes from mk keyboard into comp daw. This is when we would use local control off to stop howl around/midi feed back.
(I hope I'm understanding you Smile )
The problem may well be your USB to midi cable. If it don't back up now try to...
Find a standard single midi cable (non USB) and connect from focusrite midi out socket (i think it has standard midi sockets,correct me if wrong) to microkrog midi input.
If you want to back up first ,either buy 2nd cable or connect the single midi from MK midi output to focusrite In, do your back up then switch cable to pc out = mk in.

Yes, I connect the USB into my Mac as well. I have 3 connections (Korg, Focusrite, and Macbook)

I am confused as to how the patches on the MicroKorg could be backed up into the Focusrite. Will the audio interface save the patches onto itself? I have doubts that my USB to midi cable is the actual problem because it works perfectly fine when I play MIDI software sounds from my DAW (Logic, Garageband).
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha you beat me too it Derek . Wink
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your focusrite sockets should show up as a source just like the USB cable .
Problems with USB to midi cables. I can't be technical but midi was originally designed before USBs so there is a ploblem in bandwidth translation somewhere.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And sys ex takes more bandwidth .
jazzguar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spheric El wrote:
Your focusrite sockets should show up as a source just like the USB cable .
Problems with USB to midi cables. I can't be technical but midi was originally designed before USBs so there is a ploblem in bandwidth translation somewhere.

Okay,
So youre saying I shouldn't connect the USB into my Macbook and just have the MIDI IN and OUT connected to my Microkorg and Focusrite?
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. For your system ex.
Hopefully...But as two of us identified this, it seems the first place to check.
jazzguar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spheric El wrote:
That's right. For your system ex.
Hopefully...But as two of us identified this, it seems the first place to check.

Okay,

I just tried this and nothing worked. The USB not being plugged into the Macbook seems pointless because the USB MIDI cable isnt even lighting up... Does that mean its completely off? I really need your help here guys.

I am also confused as to how SysEx Librarian even works. Do the factory patches get 'overwritten' when I want to put the new patches onto the Korg? This whole process is driving me insane.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: