Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Karma with a split keyboard.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarecrow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Using Karma with a split keyboard. Reply with quote

Hi

I have split keyboard between bass and piano, I want to use karma to run my bass but leave the piano normal,

What is the easiest way to have this so I can play the piano as normal and have karma run the lower section effecting just the bass.

Thanks.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to set the top note in the zone area for that specific karma module, i've explained it in one of my tutorials. skip to 14:07 to see where you can add that note value.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you can set Karma module to only the bass program's midi channel, via the midi I/O section of Karma. Assuming you are in combi or sequencer mode.
Karma will run only the bass program via the separate midi channel no matter where bass program is zoned to via timbre or song track zoning.
Karma has its own zoning and of course you can use that instead, to limit Karma to the zone you want.
If you have karma set up right, you shouldn't need to zone karma in your situation if you are in Timbre or song tracks.

If you are in program mode and using multi OSC to set up piano and bass splits, then zoning in Karma is the way to get karma to affect only the bass section.
Scarecrow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My confusion begins between the midi channel settings for each timber split in track parameters. normally they would both be on the same channel to play across the keys at their split point,

But when Karma come in to play, everything seems to enter some sort of quantum physics type dimension I seem unable to grasp.

I started messing with the input and output channels in the karma settings, and got it to play both, but only by having to assign module B to my top split and choose a preset for it.

Both timbers are split in keyboard and in Karma as I want then to play, but I still would like just to have karma do the base and my top split to be left natural
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarecrow wrote:
My confusion begins between the midi channel settings for each timber split in track parameters. normally they would both be on the same channel to play across the keys at their split point,

But when Karma come in to play, everything seems to enter some sort of quantum physics type dimension I seem unable to grasp.

I started messing with the input and output channels in the karma settings, and got it to play both, but only by having to assign module B to my top split and choose a preset for it.

Both timbers are split in keyboard and in Karma as I want then to play, but I still would like just to have karma do the base and my top split to be left natural

You are right where you need to be, just a smal hurdle in confusion and you are set.
The normal channels they are set to in Timbre play is Gch and anything else is midi 1 - 16 which are not going to make sound in combi mode unless patched through karma or an external device.
So Karma can take input from any timbre midi channel Gch, 1 - 16 and then output it with internal program sounds or even external device sounds.

So you want to keep your piano intact on one channel or default channel in the timbre or track midi channel setting, then change the midi channel for the timbre or track of the bass program. Change it to to other than what Piano is on. Choice is yours as long as it is not the same as Piano program channel.

Then go to the Karma module for the bass timbre track and set output to be the midi channel of the bass timber/track. And the input can be the same as the piano timbre Track or as it was when you had karma running both timbre/tracks. I hope i am not confused here too, as i am away from kronos but referencing parameter guide.
Seems all you are missing is separating midi channels at the timbre/track level and assigning the Karma module output to what you set for you bass timbre/track midi channel.

Sequencer mode is Track and combi mode is timbre and the right terms help sort through operation differences between the two when discussing away from kronos view.
Midi channel setting in Sequencer track versus combi timbre are not the same. Timbres in combi all sound off on Gch and go to external mode when set to 1 - 16. Sequencer tracks sound off internal sound with 1 - 16.
Karma has a way of making Combi timbres sound out internal programs put to timbres that are then set to midi channels 1 - 16. Just be sure to set the input of the karma module to the corresponding midi channel.
Karma interfaces like an external midi device despite being on board and i think sequencer is the same too.
Program mode has no channel setting even whe it comes to Karma. One program, one channel and just get going.

Last edited by 19naia on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So going by this parameter guide excerpt, page 476.
It is the Output channel of Karma midi I/O page you need to set to match your bass timbre or track. The input can remain the same as what was working for you already and your piano track or timbre can remain as you have it. Just be sure to change the bass track or timbre midi channel setting to any of 1 - 16 and the go to karma midi I/O amd set your intemded module to output on the channel you selt for you bass track or timbre.

I had to confirm for myself that i wasn't getting karma input and output settings confused either. There is a lot of room to tie up in some really dynamic knots of internal and external channeling and that makes for either confusion or music production wizardry, depending how well you grasp whats going on.
Output Channel [01...16, Gch]
Specifies the MIDI output channel for each KARMA Module.
The MIDI data from the KARMA Module will be transmitted on the specified MIDI channel, and will sound timbres whose channel matches. (See the diagram below, “KARMA-MIDI Input/Output Channel.”)
If you wish to apply separate phrases or patterns by using KARMA Module A for timbre 1 and KARMA Module B for timbre 2, set the MIDI channels as follows:
Example setting 1
1. Set the global MIDI channel (Global 1–1a: MIDI Channel) to 01.
2. Set timbre 1 as follows. Program Select: Bass program MIDI Channel (2–1): Gch
3. Set timbre 2 as follows. Program Select: Piano program MIDI Channel (2–1): 02
4. Set KARMA Module A as follows.
GE Select: Any riff from the Bass GE category Input Channel: Gch
Output Channel: Gch
Timbre Thru: Off
5. Set KARMA Module B as follows.
GE Select:
Scarecrow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok my brain is mush,

I will study your reply tomoz in detail, I am in sequencer enhancing a midi file, pulling in a program with karma, to play along with, thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: