Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advanced Programming: Equal Temperament LFO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Advanced Programming: Equal Temperament LFO Reply with quote

You may have caught my post about LFO rates. I went on to find that AMS boosted rates reveal a ceiling of 750Hz. After that, I wanted to find out if it were possible to keytrack the LFO frequency to effectively tune the LFO to equal temperament across the keyboard. Naturally the highest note possible would be F#5 because of the ceiling.

After going through some insane steps I found out that yes, it is possible.

freq 99 fine 77 and ams 51 seems to give me middle C. Note Number as AMS2 set to 82 enables legitimate keytracking as if the LFO were tuned to A4=440.

I also found the the settings to tune the LFO one and two octaves down.

This means that you can use an LFO as an audio rate source for any parameter that accepts it. You could even do multi operator FM in a synth like the Polysix with this method.

I plan on refining my approach and finding ever slightly more accurate tunings for the LFO rate. I don't think I'll give any more updates beyond the information here however.

Enjoy
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

750 cycles/second?? Wow, if so; I wonder if Dan even realizes this one! Good job for the hard work and in the discovery of this tidbit, bro! My Kronos'll fly away if I'm not careful! lol
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah love that comment. The positive feedback means a lot, tim. Thank you!
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY, I found the specific thread/post regarding Dan's confirmation of the max lfo cycles (WHEW!); also, check out the recommending thread within this post. ----------

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quite
BobTheDog wrote:
Is there any way of getting the LFOs going a bit faster?

Yes; set the LFO frequency high, and then use AMS modulation to push it higher. They'll go up to about 750Hz (higher, technically, but over that point the LFO waveform will alias; limit your modulation intensity to avoid that). This part of the manuals should be helpful:

Parameter Guide -> HD-1 -> Program P5: LFO -> 5–1: OSC1 LFO1 -> 5–1a: OSC 1 LFO 1 -> Frequency parameter and 5–1b: Frequency Modulation section.

You can create a static AMS value using a stopped LFO or Step Sequencer, if desired.

See also this post:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=323655#323655
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy moly, didn't know that information was known before... well now you can be sure that it's correct since I figured it out independently using completely different methods than... y'know... being one of the people who actually designed the Kronos. Hearing that confirmation is validating.

"higher, technically, but over that point the LFO waveform will alias"
You can't push it higher. Maybe that ability was patched in an update. LFO's aren't designed to behave like oscillators. But hey, again, I'm not one of the engineers so don't take my word for it.

"Finally, note that you can do real audio-rate FM in both the MS-20EX and the MOD-7."
And AL-1... but there are major differences between these FM styles (VPM vs XMod) that I don't need to get into in this thread.

I'm really surprised someone else found the LFO Hz values. Oh and he even provided one for the EG times, nice. The information in my threads is more accurate since I give the exact conversions instead of hard to read graphs. I even provided the algorithm for calculating LFO frequency fine. Not to mention this latest discovery with a keytracked LFO. Does that kayemef person still use the forums? He's one of those people that really gets into the details and I'm all about that.

Thanks so much for digging around to find that thread, tim. That was really awesome of you to take the time to show that to me.

Last edited by CharlesFerraro on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome! Let me tell you, though (truthfully), in all the research I've done as I was putting my studio together- literally, I've seen every internet page that was even remotely/possibly available for any- and every- thing regarding my interests that NO NEW PAGE pops up!! I've seen them all! I kid you not!! This seems really, really hard to believe (crazy, I know!). That is just how thorough I did my research! So, as soon as I saw the work you did, (lo, and behold!) I recalled Dan somewhere say the lfo's cycle- haha-lol!
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timbukktwo wrote:
Your welcome! Let me tell you, though (truthfully), in all the research I've done as I was putting my studio together- literally, I've seen every internet page that was even remotely/possibly available for any- and every- thing regarding my interests that NO NEW PAGE pops up!! I've seen them all! I kid you not!! This seems really, really hard to believe (crazy, I know!). That is just how thorough I did my research! So, as soon as I saw the work you did, (lo, and behold!) I recalled Dan somewhere say the lfo's cycle- haha-lol!

hah that's cool but I doubt anyone has ever created a keytracked LFO tuned to equal temperament on the kronos before. Besides why would anyone do that when some of the engines can do real fm. What I did here was more of a technical exercise than anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: