Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PLEASE Help: OASYS with Neumann mic and VLP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocFingers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: PLEASE Help: OASYS with Neumann mic and VLP Reply with quote

PLEASE help solve this puzzle (yes, I’m begging):

I just got a Neumann TLM 102 condenser mic that I’m trying to hook up to my TC-Helicon Voice Live Play [VLP] through my OASYS. I had been using a Shure 58 and the set-up worked fine:
(SETUP =
OASYS Audio Input #2 XLR into VLP Output LEFT XLR;
OASYS Audio Input #1 XLR into VLP Output RIGHT XLR;
PHANTOM POWER OFF on OASYS;
SHURE mic XLR into VLP Input XLR)

Now, with the Neumann mic, I believe I need to use the phantom power, but just switching the XLR plug from the Shure to the XLR on the Neumann and then turning on the Phantom power on the OASYS gets no response even when I turn up the Phantom level all the way. So I know this whole setup has to change, but what goes to what in order for the Neumann mic, the VLP, and the OASYS to all work together in a functional family and live happily ever after?

Anybody know how to do this? All help will be tremendously appreciated. Thank you!

"An Analog Mind Trapped in a Digital Universe"
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: PLEASE Help: OASYS with Neumann mic and VLP Reply with quote

DocFingers wrote:
with the Neumann mic, I believe I need to use the phantom power

You need the phantom power applied between the mic and the VLP. I may be missing it, but I don't see phantom power listed in the specs for the that version of the VLP. I do see it on other units, like the VoiceLive 3. That's probably the issue.

You have the VLP plugged into your OASYS, but the VLP isn't a mic, so the OASYS' phantom power is doing nothing with that unit. The mic is plugged into the VLP. On the other hand, I'll be if you plug the Neumann directly into the OASYS' input, the phantom power will make the mic work.

I believe there's a workaround that could be accomplished by using three line to XLR adapters. You would need:

1 MALE

and

2 FEMALE

The setup would be:

Neumann mic plugged into OASYS input 1 (Phantom power on).

Go into GLOBAL -- AUDIO tab. Assign Input 1 BUS SELECT to an output of your choice (1, 2, 3,.... or Cool. For simplicity sake, I'll say 8.

Run a line out of OASYS output 8 to the single input of your VLP (using the male XLR adapter).

You now have a choice of running your VLP's outputs to your mixer, or back to your OASYS, using inputs 3/4 (and two female XLR adapters).

If you run them back to the OASYS inputs 3/4, go back to GLOBAL -- AUDIO tab and assign inputs 3/4 BUS SELECT to L/R.

SAVE your Global setting.

It should work. I have not worked with a VLP, so I can't verify it. I have done a similar connection with an SPX900 effects processor. There is a very old video of it here:

Before trying any of this, make sure that the Nuemann to OASYS phantom power connection works.
DocFingers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Much Gratitude Reply with quote

Hi Mike. Thank you for your prompt and detailed reply. I just ordered the line to XLR adaptors (1 male, 2 females) and will follow your instructions for their use as soon as they arrive.

YES, the VLP lacks phantom power;
YES, the Neumann mic works when directly plugged into the OASYS using its phantom power.

I will keep you posted and let you know if this setup works. Much gratitude for your valued assistance and for lowering my stress level.

DocFingers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: "THEY SAID IT COULDN'T BE DONE..." Reply with quote

UPDATE:
MIKE, you are a Wiz... The Man... The Sherlock Holmes of digital mysteries!
Your cure worked! Exactly as you said it would.
Gratitude by the buckets full! Thank you so very, very much!

Got the adapters you described, hooked everything up as you so eloquently instructed, and... VOILA! SUCCESS!

It might interest you to know that the nice folks at TC Helicon (and they are very nice) answered my inquiry by telling me that the "phantom on the Korg will not help" and that I needed to get an external phantom power supply.

Best regards,
Doc

PS If you're ever on Long Island, I'd like to reciprocate by taking you out for dinner or a drink (or both).

Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your post, Doc. It made my day. Laughing Glad to hear it's all working. OASYS bus routing is incredible, with all those Ins and Outs.
DocFingers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Bus Routes Reply with quote

What's incredible to me is that you understand it, from its digital perspective, with all its Ins and Outs.

I am searching for a way to understand it all from an analog mind's perspective so that it makes intuitive sense to me... playing with the concept of seeing all the wiring/circuitry as a network of sprinkler hoses each branching off to a different section of farmland in which a different crop is being grown, and each crop has its own watering schedule so the correct hose branch needs to be turned on or off at a specific moment in order to properly water that particular crop. Can you help me expand this analog metaphor, or find a better one?

Thanks!

Doc

Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Routes Reply with quote

DocFingers wrote:
Can you help me expand this analog metaphor, or find a better one?

In the old days when you put together a stereo system, you needed separate components, an amp/reciever, speakers, tape deck, turntable, and possibly a mixer and an equalizer.

Same with synths. If you wanted more than one simultaneous sound, you bought a second keyboard or module. In the 80's, I had an FM synth, a sampler, a sequencer, a drum machine, an effects processor, and finally a mic and mixer. The latter was routed out to my reel to reel tape recorder, and into that stereo system.

There were other technologies that came along, like sample based ROMplers, wavesequencing, and physical modelling. That's okay. I understood each component, because I bought them one at a time.

If you put all of that into a single box or keyboard, you get the OASYS. All together it can be daunting, but if you look at each part individually, you can grasp it and see how it goes together. My metaphor is basically an old component synth setup.

Routing is basically the same as working with a mixer, except it is a digital connection, as you point out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: