Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kronos acting unusual?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlgoodhines

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: kronos acting unusual? Reply with quote

Good Morning. Last night, my Kronos was acting a bit strange. The volume wasn't going to zero-I was nearly at full volume with the master volume set to zero. The individual sliders were operating very slowly. ie, I push one from 0 to 127, but on the screen it didn't shoot to 127, it merely "walked" there. I checked my solaris and it operated fine. Strange.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much to go on.

what mode where you in ? any other devices ?

My wild guess is you accidentally recorded some changes. And the solaris played them back.
carlgoodhines

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. This is with everything except Solaris (voltage regulator, mixer, Kronos, and speaker) powered up. Besides, Kronos and Solaris are not connected in any way. It's almost as if it's relying on a volume pedal (I don't use one) to do the control changes. I powered off and on, and it fixed it. For a few minutes. Does it in Performance or patch mode.
Still, why would levels drag when moving a slider? Acting like a PC would if it had a virus, or several routines running at the same time.
Bad master volume pot? No scratchy noise when wiggling/turning it.
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that, once or twice in Seq mode, my Kronos can get slow. For example, I might finish an event edit or have tried to move the song to another bar, and it takes slightly longer to get there. I have a feeling that it may be more likely in a song where I have already recorded a particularly high number of non-note events (ctrl changes, etc), but the issue has not yet bugged me enough to go into it more deeply.

Are your problems occurring in similar circumstances?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlgoodhines wrote:
Nope. This is with everything except Solaris (voltage regulator, mixer, Kronos, and speaker) powered up. Besides, Kronos and Solaris are not connected in any way. It's almost as if it's relying on a volume pedal (I don't use one) to do the control changes. I powered off and on, and it fixed it. For a few minutes. Does it in Performance or patch mode.
Still, why would levels drag when moving a slider? Acting like a PC would if it had a virus, or several routines running at the same time.
Bad master volume pot? No scratchy noise when wiggling/turning it.

if it only happened once, I would not worry.

I have occasional unexplained quirkiness, and a reboot/cold start makes everything fine.

I save my work frequently, since I always have a WIP Song.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "master volume", do you mean the master slider or the potmeter on the left? If the potmeter, that is an analog control that isn't digitally controlled in any way. It is hard wired to the L/R and headphones outputs. If you have it closed and you still hear sound, something is broken.

Other than that, it kinda sounds like you have some kind of midi loop or some device sending lots of controller data to the Kronos. Is it acting this way without any external gear connected besides speakers/headphones and mains?
CGoodhines

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing connected to it ( I have a large rig).
It's happened more than once.
Yes, it's the rotary pot for master volume.
But, the sliders are also acting slowly. Very.
Like, I can push a slider to 127, and watch the values "walk" to 127, over 2-3 seconds.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGoodhines wrote:
I have nothing connected to it ( I have a large rig).
It's happened more than once.
Yes, it's the rotary pot for master volume.
But, the sliders are also acting slowly. Very.
Like, I can push a slider to 127, and watch the values "walk" to 127, over 2-3 seconds.

Make sure there is no other electronic interference very near- such as a smart phone

You could try a fresh OS install, maybe that will over write the issue.

if it persists, its an unusual problem and a service call seems to be in order.
CGoodhines

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Found it? Reply with quote

It's definitely the master volume pot.
Kinda sucks because I'm nowhere near a service center.
I can push DOWN on the pot and it works, but won't do that for the risk of breaking all of the solder connections.
Rule #1: Soft cases will work, but not forever! Stick with ATA.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a chance of some confusion here. There's the "Main Volume" rotary control, top left of the control surface, and the "Master" volume slider, which is the ninth slider from the left.

The Main Volume control should not slow down the Kronos, since it is not linked to the software side of things. The whole of the left hand side control surface is on one printed circuit board, apart from the joystick, A B buttons and ribbon, and it is possible that there is actually some other connectivity issue on the board, so that pushing down on the Main Volume control may simply be flexing the PCB. It is possible that, if there is poor connectivity, the main board could sending a lot of unnecessary data (value change) traffic for the main processor to handle, hence overall slowing the keyboard down. This is, of course, mere conjecture at this point, and one way to investigate this further might be to connect the Kronos to a PC and run MidiOx or something similar to analyse the MIDI data coming from the Kronos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: