Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triggering the EMX-1 with a midi footswitch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thisgreg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Triggering the EMX-1 with a midi footswitch Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if i is possible to start/stop a song/pattern on the EMX using a midi footswitch. If so is it hard to hook up? Just don't want to spend money on a footswitch if this isn't possible.

Thanks

Greg
chad9477

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never say anything is impossible Wink but I have not had any luck doing this. I don't think there's a MIDI CC number assigned to start/stop on the EMX.

The workaround I have found is to make a blank pattern and start it playing by hand-pressing the EMX start button in advance, then using the footpedal to switch to the pattern you want at the appropriate time in your track. You'll have to think ahead about the right time to hit the pedal, but the advantage to this method is that if your EMX is sync'd up via MIDI to the gear that's already playing, it will enter exactly on time.

Even if you're not trying to sync the EMX to other gear in a live setting, doing this would still be an option. You could make this blank pattern and switch back to it whenever you want the EMX to "stop," and switch to a pattern with data to start your next track.

Just be aware this only works in pattern mode, not song mode.
mbncp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Emx will start/stop by sending the standard Midi clock messages.
Note that you can just send the start and stop, no need to send midi clock, in which case the emx will use it's own clock.

Only problem is to find a foot pedal that can send these two messages.
If you use a pc/mac then it shouldn't be to difficult to convert some cc.
chad9477

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbncp wrote:
The Emx will start/stop by sending the standard Midi clock messages....Only problem is to find a foot pedal that can send these two messages.

Marc's right about this...I haven't been able to find a pedal that could send such a message. Thus the workaround I mention above.
mbncp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a hardware solution there is this stuff that can probably handle it: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm.
Not really cheap and you still need a foot pedal.
thisgreg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys

Thanks a million to both of you for the help with this. Yeah it doesn't seem like there is any straight forward way to do this, which i think is kind of unusual and unfortunate.

Thanks a million for the work around idea, that seems like the best way forward with it.

Greg
gotBASS?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try using a drum machine with a footswitch jack for start/stop, and midi-out socket. I have an alesis sr-16 that i can use to do EXACTLY what you're asking for, and more.

It allows me to startstop the electribe with a footswitch (hell i can even tap tempo with my foot before it starts), sequence drum patterns with a much higher resolution than 16 steps per bar, allows me to sequence drums that are in different time signatures to the electribe, (i.e. synth part in 3/4 - drums in 4/4). The sequenced drum patterns can be used to trigger my emx's internal drum parts, and i can now change the drum pattern without changing pattern on the electribe!! The velocity-sensitive nature of the pads on the sr-16 mean I can trigger one-shots etc in real time with some control over volume too!!

Any drum machine with a midi-out socket, and a start-stop footswitch socket, should do the trick.
TRAUMA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone. My bandmate and I have just succesfully used MIDI to start and stop the EMX. Here is how, broken down step by step:

-We used the Alesis SR18 drum machine as the MIDI master. It has 1/4" footswitch outs for "START/STOP" and "COUNT/A/B/FILL
-We used the Boss FS-5U footswitch
-Connect your MIDI cable from the "OUT/THRU" jack on whatever drum machine youre using that is footswitch start/stop capable
-Adjust the MIDI settings on your footswitchable device as needed(differs for each machine but on the SR18 its "System Settings" button then->scroll up to page 6
-Connect the other end of the midi cable to the input of the Korg EMX-1
-Using the options grid matrix under the display go to MIDI, then scroll down and select "EXT" for external control

So heres a few things you need to know. The EMX will surrender tempo control to the master device, in this case the SR18. So youll need to either manually set the tap tempo for every song by hand, or you can save a blank pattern on the SR18 with the correct tempo for every song, then separately change the song/pattern on both the SR18 and the EMX

We literally just figured this out and have a lot to learn about it still, but fear not. You dont need to gamble on the $150 -$200 midisolutions gadget. Id recommend buying an Alesis SR16 used for about $75 shipped(as of 2017). Best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: