Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future of Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_joe_

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Future of Kronos Reply with quote

Hey all,
Long time!

I've been the happy user of the M3 61 and the Kronos 2 73.
However i had to sell the Kronos 2 73 a month ago due to its form factor, it's way too heavy for my daily gigging and i've been wanting to get the Kronos 2 61 to replace my trusty M3.

However i've been thinking that since Korg has been release so many Kronos variants, maybe there's a successor soon?

A local Korg dealer told me that there "might" be a successor? Although i doubt it.

I'm not in a hurry, as the M3 is still a good board, and i won't be selling it.
Heck it's going to take me weeks to rework my workflow on the newer Kronos but i've been thinking whether it's worth waiting more or just get the Kronos 2 61.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are expecting something new from Korg, of course there will be. That’s the nature of any business. I also understand you wanting to keep the M3. I still play my old Trition occasionally. I’m happy with my K2-61 and plan on having it around for a long time. If you can find a great deal on a K2-61 I’d go for it. Cheers!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Future of Kronos Reply with quote

_joe_ wrote:
Hey all,
Long time!

I've been the happy user of the M3 61 and the Kronos 2 73.
However i had to sell the Kronos 2 73 a month ago due to its form factor, it's way too heavy for my daily gigging and i've been wanting to get the Kronos 2 61 to replace my trusty M3.

However i've been thinking that since Korg has been release so many Kronos variants, maybe there's a successor soon?

A local Korg dealer told me that there "might" be a successor? Although i doubt it.

I'm not in a hurry, as the M3 is still a good board, and i won't be selling it.
Heck it's going to take me weeks to rework my workflow on the newer Kronos but i've been thinking whether it's worth waiting more or just get the Kronos 2 61.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

often discussed here. No one here has any certainty or inside track to Korg development.

I think you have to break it down to ' type of Kronos successor ' and assign some odds/probaility

I think there is a 60% chance there will be a Kronos 3. It will have incremental improvements and will be a desirable board. But not a game changer to spin a phrase.

For the often requested new generation W/s, I think the chances are 30% or 1 in 3.

January has been the month when Korg likes to make a big marketing splash with a new W/s. Some chance of a December pre-announcement.

Beyond Jan 2018, is too much crystal ball.

Since we are 5 months away from January, an argument could be made to wait. But don't be disappointed if ' nothing ' happens. " Nothing " is common in the scheme of expensive specialized products where tech is involved.

a dealer saying ' might ' or '' maybe " is way too ambiguous. Push back for that dealers thinking. Ask him to qualify his statement.

Last edited by GregC on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in a similar situation. I started with an original Kronos61 because if the 88 keybed problems. Purchased a K2-88 right after they were available. I have hundreds of custom sequences that I use to perform on a regular basis. The Kronos is perfect for my application, as I use the onboard sequencer and no other sound source =1 keyboard rig. I have been considering a K2-61 to have in addition to my K2-88. Why?

How much better (for my application) can a new Korg workstation be, considering the hundreds or hours it would take to transfer everything to a new platform? The Kronos has some weaknesses (primarily guitars and polyphony) but with some programming, FX and song selection, I have managed to work around the guitar issues and using the track priority the polyphony.

To change to a new platform, polyphony would be an important consideration but having a K2-61 in addition to the K2-88 would solve that. Whats most important is a method for transferring sequences (with programs), that would be a new platform purchase guarantee and save me hundreds hours of work.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
thextreme1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truthfully, waitng for any company to make an announcement for new hardware is generally settng yourself up for disappointment. The Kronos has some of the best sounds compared to almost anything else on the market, both hardware and software. The great thing the Kronos has going for it, is its ability to sample from any other keyboard or... software. There are quite a few converters to convert samples from any format to any other. I use them to convert samples from the East West and IK software to the Kronos format. Giving me some of the best samples on the market, all in one place, without integrating a PC or Mac to do so. Though, you could always do so, if its easier.

The best live rig is one that allows you to access all of your favorite sounds as quickly as possible, so there is virtually no down time. With the Kronos’ ability to put all of your favorite sounds in sets, you have the quickest access to everything you need. More so than most any other keyboard on the market. The only better board Ive ever found for doing so, is the Open Labs Gen 6 XXL, which combines the best of both worlds(hardware and software)... though, it was $7000 new and unfortunately isnt being made any more. I still have mine and love it, though it isn't very portable and something that is overkill for anythng other than large gigs or touring.

You can find the XXL for around $3000 or so on eBay, and it is great for a portable recording solution and, as I said prior, large shows. Though if you have an ambitious groupie you can trust to move your gear... I say, go for it.

As said above, anything new from Korg will probably be incremental and obtainable through paid update for those who own prior models. As was the case with the Kronos 1, which could be upgraded to take advantage of all of the 2’s offerings.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's hard to imagine what Korg could release as a successor to the Kronos, other than more power/more of everything, but I believe the next step, which would solve one of the long standing dilemmas we have with regard to portability/playabilty, would be a rack version.

In fact I've been thinking about this lately myself, and I'm considering buying a second hand original Kronos 61 and converting it to a rack mount module of some sort. After examining the construction of them, I believe I could successfully transfer the components in a modular fashion to a rack unit or two. The controller interface boards containing sliders etc are in two sections either side of the display. They could be mounted one above the other. The motherboard/psu/ssd and display in another, with external connectors, such as co-axial/ screened mil spec between.
Of course the keyboard won't be needed, with so many light weighted action controllers around, I would use my Casio PX5S. I could mount the joystick/ribbon controller in it's own little unit, or dispense with it and use the controllers mod wheels.

I confess my interest in doing this as I've done something similar in the past Smile
Back in the 70's, I converted a Roland Juno 6 to rack modules, made it 6 voice multitimbral, and created my own digital interface before the days of midi. So I guess the old urges are starting to surface again!
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thextreme1 wrote:
The great thing the Kronos has going for it, is its ability to sample from any other keyboard or... software. There are quite a few converters to convert samples from any format to any other.

Can you elaborate on just how the Kronos does this ?
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will we ever see a new workstation from Korg?

Seems everyone except Korg has abandoned the high end workstation market allready.

There is a possibility Korg might let the Kronos run out its course and then walk another road too..
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Will we ever see a new workstation from Korg?

Seems everyone except Korg has abandoned the high end workstation market allready.

There is a possibility Korg might let the Kronos run out its course and then walk another road too..

I agree. Which is why I prefer to assign numbers or degree of probability.

We can also observe what Korg is doing or emphasizing on the software side, the under $600 price point ( to pick a figure).

Korg's President is 2 or 3 years ' new' ( my estimate) and ultimately I believe he has to approve any major cost development . He could have decided to not do anything major over the next year or 2. Doing ' nothing substantial ' on a yearly basis is common for high cost product with tech.

I have zero inside knowledge. Above is simply 1 possibility.
exsequor699

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like Korg to really mantain an open system for the Kronos, like they have done it so far, in order to keep loading their new technologies to the Kronos.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I half expect to see a Kronos AU/VST version at some point. That would not disappoint me. I could also see them making some form of iPad Kronos at some point. That would be a bit of a disappointment for me since I do not have a powerful iPad. I would like to see the keybeds maintained as controllers with the pc/macs being the brains.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I half expect to see a Kronos AU/VST version at some point. That would not disappoint me. I could also see them making some form of iPad Kronos at some point. That would be a bit of a disappointment for me since I do not have a powerful iPad. I would like to see the keybeds maintained as controllers with the pc/macs being the brains.

Just looked at the specs on the iPad Pro. It uses a chip called the A10 which runs a 64bit architecture at 2.34GHz, more than enough to run the entirety of the Kronos operating system. Of course, you obvs wouldn't get all the controls/inputs/outputs available with the Kronos keyboard iteration.

A VST bounce of all it's engines would be awesome. Even then... you wouldn't get the same kind of integration with a Common LFO and Step Sequencer, the ability to route signals from another engine via an internal bus, or KARMA. Wouldn't seem practical to bounce the effects architecture either but engines like EP-1 or CX-3 would at least have some effects built-in.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just playing the "wait and see" game. I'm still running my almost 6 year old 73 key original model. I figure that by now I'm almost 8% into figuring out everything that it can do. Very Happy

Which of course means that I've just barely scratched the surface. I would like a 61 key though. Just because sometimes my back hurts. Wink

The trick is getting my wife to go along with my idea!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: