Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rolling effects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evilfish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Rolling effects Reply with quote

It is quite possible the name "rolling effect" is not the correct term. I basically just got my Kronos and i have to begun to add effects to sounds with some good results. Here is my issue:

My band and I are currently practicing a 80's song called "Magi I luften" (danish song, translation 'Magic in the air'). If you follow this youtube link it will jump to a chorus where you can hear a syntesizer doing a rolling up and down chord in the background. I was wondering if it is possible to replicate that sound with a stock Kronos or if I need to buy effects to make it possible?

I tried to see if there was such an effect but could not find it.

I hope you can help me in the right direction. I would love to get more out of my kronos.

- E
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The effect you hear is an Arpeggio. This is not caused by an "effect" rather, it's a synth playing chromatic notes real fast, up and down. The notes don't have to be chromatic, but can be musical scales.

Normally, an Arpeggio is a function where the keyboard will automatically plays the scale for you. I don't use Arp's myself but it can be accomplished with some engines in the Kronos that have an Arp function, or globally using Karma.

I'm sure others more familiar with Kronos Arp's will chime in.
Love the 80's! Cool

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PolySix emulation includes an arpeggiator function - look for "PS" in the EXi1/EXi2 column in the Voice Name List as an aid to finding and exploring Programs containing the PolySix. Tap the PolySix graphic or the relevant EXi tab, to bring up a tab marked Mod & Arp.

On top of that, Programs and Combis can use the Karma function, which utilises so called GEs, or Generated Effects. These are basically MIDI generating algorithms which can automatically trigger notes and percussion, and include various arpeggios. As an example, choose one of the piano programs (e.g. Bank I-A, Program 000), tap the KARMA GE tab on the screen and tap the box to the right of where it says "GE Select" on the screen and select 0 (highlight the box, type 0 with the numeric keypad, followed by the "Enter" key), which should bring up an arpeggio model "Arp Model 01 Up/Dn". Now activate Karma using the button below the Main Volume control and play a single note, then try more notes, then try closely spaced and far apart notes. Arpeggios are at the simple end of what Karma can achieve.

Programs can use one Karma module, whilst Combis can have up to four Karma modules.

The Kronos Parameter Guide has an extensive section on Karma.

evilfish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sooo much for you assistance. I will look into this and see if I can build a simple argeggio sound from you tips. Sounds fairly simple. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: