Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foot switch for Pads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brunoedgardo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Foot switch for Pads Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone know of a foot switch (USB or MIDI) with which I can activate the PADS of my COMBIS in Kronos?

In some songs I have 2 hands occupied and I need to activate the PADS

Thank you!

Last edited by brunoedgardo on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use any midi foot controller that can send CC or notes.
like the FCB1010 or even the korg nanopad, if you don't mind putting it under your feet and a little diy.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
tim.condon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Roland PK-5A for this, but any midi pedalboard should work.

First, go to Global > Controllers/Scales > Controllers > Midi CC Assign and configure it to play each pad when it receives a midi note (or CC event) - for example, I configure pad 1 to be triggered by C-0, pad 2 by D-0, pad 3 by E-0, ... pad 7 by A-0, pad 8 by C-1.

Then, set both the midi channel for each pad (top box in each pad in the combi pad setup), and the midi channel for the timbre(s) that voice the pad to match the pedalboard (I use ch 2). Now, playing the C key plays pad 1, etc.

The main drawback with that because the pad assignments are global, there's no easy way to transpose them. I have a workaround for this, but it's complicated, so it's mostly worth doing if you intend to also play bass lines your feet and don't want to mix things up in your head. Otherwise, you may find it easier to just have a fixed pedal always trigger the same pad.

To transpose:
1. Set up the pads as if to play in C - for example, pads 1 -8 are a C, a Dm, a C/E, an F, a G, an Am, an F/G, and another C. Also set the midi channel for each chord to that of the pedalboard (in my case, 2). Note that you can copy pad setups between combis and progs.

2. Set the global setting so that (for example) C-0 triggers pad 1, D-0 pad 2,...A-0 pad 7, C-1 pad 8. Now each note in C will play a meaningful accompaniment chord

3.To play in another key (say D), set the pedalboard to transpose by the negative distance. There's two half steps between C and D, so for this example set the transpose to -2. Now a D plays pad 1, E pad 2, F# pad 3...

4. Next, set the transpose of the timbres that voice the pad (same ones set to the pedalboard midi channel) to the positive transpose - in this case, +2. Now, playing a D will play a D chord, an E an Em, an F# a D/F#, etc.

Note that some notes fall off the end of a one-octave pedalboard, so it might be worth getting one with two octaves...

It'd be way simpler if pad assignments were per-program/per-combi instead of global! Anyway, let me know if I can clarify any of this.

--Tim
tim.condon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one other option for playing pads with a foot controller (or any other controller, for that matter) is the "Chord" function in Progs and Combis. It automatically transposes the pad chord based on the triggering note. It works pretty well for most cases if you select a source pad chord that uses just uses roots and fifths.

--Tim
brunoedgardo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim and Amit!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: