Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rumor From Guitar Center : New Korg Kronos 3 / 2017/18
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Rumor From Guitar Center : New Korg Kronos 3 / 2017/18 Reply with quote

I heard from a Guitar Center keyboard rep today, that Korg is now discontinuing the current Kronos 2, and will be introducing a successor to the Kronos soon.

From my conversation with Guitar Center today, this will be the Kronos 3, and I presume, updated to modernize the current issues that Kronos 2 users want updated.

Has anyone heard similar news ?

TIA,
JT.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumor From Guitar Center : New Korg Kronos 3 / 2017/18 Reply with quote

Johnny Foster wrote:
I heard from a Guitar Center keyboard rep today, that Korg is now discontinuing the current Kronos 2, and will be introducing a successor to the Kronos soon.

From my conversation with Guitar Center today, this will be the Kronos 3, and I presume, updated to modernize the current issues that Kronos 2 users want updated.

TIA,
JT.

we hard this exact same statement a year ago , and a GC keyboard rep was said to be the source.

And it was obviously fiction.

Sorry. What else did he tell you ?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know but i do love my Guitar center branch and they have put up with my problems as much as i have put up with theirs.
I have been misinformed by music gear reps in the store before. Of course i didn't know any better myself until later with personal experience rather than always taking a sales man's word.
One of the things sales people will do is make up what sounds like good conversation material along the lines of creating excitement.
Starting rumors about a New Kronos is easy to do because a new Kronos is expected or some kind of better replacement is guaranteed. A matter of when and not if, so someone at a dealer outlet states an approximate "When" and it takes off like the best of rumors.

My personal opinion? I want to believe it is true and so i will hope along the lines of it being true. Because i am a Korg fan and for sure a Kronos fan.

Will it still be called Kronos or will they finally make a new series called "Zeus"? Maybe "Gaia" will be more like it because Zeus is a little too much title for a workstation that doesn't put an end to all workstations. Maybe Korg Saturn?
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumor From Guitar Center : New Korg Kronos 3 / 2017/18 Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Johnny Foster wrote:

TIA,
JT.

we hard this exact same statement a year ago , and a GC keyboard rep was said to be the source.

Well, after receiving a defective K2-73 unit from Sweetwater and returning it, I was checking around to see if a GC had the 88-note version in stock and were able to get it to me sooner than the slower turnaround from Sweetwater. In checking with my local GC, I was told that the current Kronos models are being discontinued, and that if I wanted a current one, they'd have to ship one of the three remaining in GC from Las Vegas ( I'm in Oregon ).

Or, they said, do I want to wait for the newly updated model coming out fairly soon from Korg that was replacing the current one.

What to think ? Sad

- JT
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumor From Guitar Center : New Korg Kronos 3 / 2017/18 Reply with quote

Johnny Foster wrote:

TIA,
JT.

Korg would NEVER discontinue a keyboard until they start shipping a new one. I call bogus.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rumor From Guitar Center : New Korg Kronos 3 / 2017/18 Reply with quote

Johnny Foster wrote:
GregC wrote:
Johnny Foster wrote:

TIA,
JT.

Well, after receiving a defective K2-73 unit from Sweetwater and returning it, I was checking around to see if a GC had the 88-note version in stock and were able to get it to me sooner than the slower turnaround from Sweetwater. In checking with my local GC, I was told that the current Kronos models are being discontinued, and that if I wanted a current one, they'd have to ship one of the three remaining in GC from Las Vegas ( I'm in Oregon ).

Or, they said, do I want to wait for the newly updated model coming out fairly soon from Korg that was replacing the current one.

What to think ? Sad

- JT

Johnny, this is my experience. I like GC online very much. They do a great job, IMO. So I am not against GC or dislike them.

But some of the store reps work in their own small universe and they say 'things' to achieve a quicker sale or achieve something quickly.

Its my opinion the GC rep is just throwing the 'reason' around at you , and has no proof or solid source what Korgs plans are. So don't take his comment to the bank.

I don't believe in further 'presuming ' from his 'reason'.

There are more factual ways to qualify if a model change is imminent.
Its not a quick statement from the lips of a single GC rep.

Back to other tangible matters, if GC has a factory sealed K2 , at a good price, and its what you want < i would not hesitate.
exsequor699

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, GregC.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On top of all of this..

If the name is Kronos 3, that would indicatie just a visual changement and a new processor board.. but same performance and functionallity as the original K from 6 years ago.

I dont see this happening another time.
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for your wise insights into my situation...

Most likely, I will re-order the 88 Kronos 2 from Sweetwater next week. It looks like a terrific instrument that I won't outgrow anytime soon...

Thanks again !

- JT.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
Will it still be called Kronos or will they finally make a new series called "Zeus"? Maybe "Gaia" will be more like it because Zeus is a little too much title for a workstation that doesn't put an end to all workstations.

After using the name King Korg, I would consider any name a possibility. Smile As for "Gaia," Roland already covered that one.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed here in Australia that some retailers are stating in their online sales of Kronos 88 'Last One'.

Not sure if this means 'last one' for good, or 'last one' before we get next shipment which might be a month or so away.

Anyway, if Korg wish me to purchase their next flagship workstation it better be a behemoth with no polyphony stealing...more power. Yes i'm happy to pay more for the extra horse power and features.

If a person can't afford the new generation workstation Korg have the Krome available and all the other cheaper, but reasonably good, synth products.

People shouldn't complain about top of the line product pricing, that's why you have various product levels befitting their price. This is true in all industries: automotive, computers etc.

BK
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
narf
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've noticed here in Australia that some retailers are stating in their online sales of Kronos 88 'Last One'.

Not sure if this means 'last one' for good, or 'last one' before we get next shipment which might be a month or so away.

It's definitely the latter Billy, no indication regarding a Kronos replacement from the Aussie distributor.

Kronos Ultimate Covers Pack
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well of course the Kronos 2 will be discontinued - the question is when and what it will be replaced with, if anything.

No manufacturer produces the same product forever!

If I was to speculate, my bet is there will be a revamped Kronos in the next 18 months. My bet is that it won't be substantially different from a hardware perspective - perhaps a slightly faster processor, and possibly support for 64-bit.

I believe Korg will strive to maintain backwards compatibility whilst continuing to make software updates available for previous models.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Well of course the Kronos 2 will be discontinued - the question is when and what it will be replaced with, if anything.

No manufacturer produces the same product forever!

If I was to speculate, my bet is there will be a revamped Kronos in the next 18 months. My bet is that it won't be substantially different from a hardware perspective - perhaps a slightly faster processor, and possibly support for 64-bit.

I believe Korg will strive to maintain backwards compatibility whilst continuing to make software updates available for previous models.

the topic " Future of Kronos " has some more speculation.

The topic/discussion shows up every month or 2 Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: