Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prevent the Kronos to send midi global channel to midi out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
renaud.denis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Prevent the Kronos to send midi global channel to midi out Reply with quote

Hi,

When I use the Kronos as a master keyboard, it always sends the global channel to midi out, whatever I do.

For instance, if the global midi channel is 16, and Local is turned on, and I set up a combi with 2 EXT tracks on channel 1 and 2, I still always get the channel 16 signal.

If I'm using a DAW or a sound module, I therefore always have to filter out the channel 16.

How can I prevent this?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Karma is doing this. Check the midi routing in the KARMA tab for the combi. I agree it's pretty unintuitive.
renaud.denis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I think Karma is doing this. Check the midi routing in the KARMA tab for the combi. I agree it's pretty unintuitive.

I will, thx
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has to be filtered out on Kronos or else keep filtering it out on the external synth.
Seems like this problem is what was needed in the case of a foot pedal that was not affecting channel 2, only channel 1 which was global channel. Needed the pedal function on several channels.

Global channel is by default supposed to be the controller channel and so it is the one to be sent out to control externals.
It should always be there when connected to EXT devices with local control on in kronos.

~~~page 771 parameter guide ~~~ says global transmits simultaneously with whatever midi channels are set to EXT in timbre and tracks.

Karma does bring in Gch in Combi or track mode and can output or input from Gch while set in tandem to input or output from any of 1-16. So the first reply could be right if midi I/O for karma is involving midi 1 or 2 in a way that carries Gch into the mix.
But it is redundant to the primary issue that global channel is the primary transmit channel on kronos and does not go away when other channels are set to transmit.

You end up having to filter it out no matter what, you just have to settle on where to filter it out. As you have been or incorporate Gch locally where you have control over it in track/timbre.
Make channel 1 or 2 the global or leave Gch at 16 and be sure no timbre/track or EXT devices are set to channel Gch or 16. You lose a channel this way. You can use all channels if you incorporate gch where you know how to make it work in your intended performance.

Pedal, foot switch and damper all come through on global channel
so some things per timbre/track are always tied to global.
Sequencer tracks don't include Gch in the track parameter channels
Setting but is no problem when you have 1-16 and any one of those will always be Gch in function, based on what is set in global.
I need to explore more for any differences in how global foot controls respond when each track/timbre is set to a non global channel. I hope the foot controls stay functioning on non global channels taking external input, in sequencer mode. Seems not true in combi mode where gch is the limit in timbres for internal sounds coming through. Except where Karma comes in to make any channel work in combi mode.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Global channel always transmits. This was the same with the Triton. Drove me crazy when I was using it as a controller for software instruments. I always make Global channel 16 and just work with the lower numbers.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
renaud.denis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the answers, it doesn't seem to come from the Karma module indeed, the Gch seems to transmit all the time, whatever you do, as geoelectro was stating.

That's pretty annoying in fact, since using DAWs in "receive all MIDI channels" may also be very convenient. No to mention external sound modules.

> 19naia: Pedal, foot switch and damper all come through on global channel

Well if this is true, that makes Kronos Combis almost unusable for splits per midi channels, only layers. For instance, if I have a first group of timbres on Gch (1) and another group of timbres on 2ch, that would mean the second group never receive foot controllers information. I have to check this too.

Btw, just curious, are you all end-users of a Kronos, or there is people in the forum also working for Korg?
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

Nope.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: