Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fix For SX Encoder Skipping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
easily_confused

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Fix For SX Encoder Skipping Reply with quote

I'm posting this in a new thread since some may miss it in the old thread.

The SX Effects Encoder Skipping Problem is Fixable:

The problem is caused by silicon lubricant inside the encoder that drifts onto the contact area. The encoder can be disassembled and cleaned, but you need to be real careful not to mess up/bend the spring contacts. No soldering is required. If you mess up the encoder, I have no solution. I don't know how to get a replacement part.

This worked for me, but I can make no guarantees it will work for you.

To disassemble the unit:
1. After removing all the knobs, remove all top torx screws and remove the big metal plate (note these are not Allen head screws)
2. Remove the 4 silver screws around the tube window. Don't remove any of the black screws through the top thin metal sheet.
3. Lift out the whole assembly and fold it to the left.
4. Disconnect the ribbon cable in the lower right corner of the assembly you just lifted out. To disconnect, pull the white plastic housing towards you. There are little lips on the sides. This will release the 3 wire ribbon cable. When you reassemble, you have to slip the cable in until it seats and then push the housing closed. Be sure to push the cable in far enough (check it by pulling it lightly after you close the housing)
5. Remove all of the black screws that go through the circuit board.
6. Now lift the circuit board and fold it to the right. Be sure the rubber switches stay on the left. DO NOT TOUCH THE CONTACT AREAS ON THE CIRCUIT BOARD OR THE CARBON BUTTONS! ESPECIALLY AFTER YOU START MESSING WITH THE THE SILICON.

You can now see the left encoder. It is a gray metal housing with 4 metal clamps holding it together. Carefully bend the clamps back just enough to to lift off the top part of the encoder.

You now have a two piece assembly in your hands. The contact rotor and the metal housing. If you look at the rotor contact face you will likely see lots of silicon goop. Wipe it all off and clean its contacts. I also wiped off most of the silicon in the housing so it wouldn't drift back. I left a little in the housing.

On the board there is the fragile contact assembly. There are three little springy contacts and the detent device. I don't know how to tell you to clean the contacts. I tried with kleenex and a toothpick and nearly destroyed the unit.

Try to get any silicon off the contacts.

Put the rotor back into the upper housing and place them back onto the lower assembly. Bend the clamps back into place, and you are done.

I partially re-assembled and verified it worked, then put it all back together.

Again, I can't be sure that you have the same problem that I did, but it worked for me.
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you were able to work through this and take the time to post your solution! You're braver than I. Razz
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done easily_confused and many thanks to you. Your solution worked a treat, and the instructions were very clear. I did feel at times like I was on some sort of mission deep behind unknown lines where I may be found out (for my incompetence) at any moment.... very nervy- but I sailed through and got back home safely with your excellent tutelage to help me through. I found that I managed to perform the mission without having to remove the arp ribbon- which I was concerned about. You can sort of fold it all over- as long as you have some towels around to give it a comfortable position. I just used some cotton buds for the cleaning- and yes there was a fair amount of gunk around. I did not even have to take the risk of touching the contact spring things.
Thanks again- and I hope this account may encourage others to try this- If I can do it then anyone can P.S It really is quite straightforward- the excitement/ nerves etc came only from my own unwarranted anxiety Rolling Eyes
filipe santos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so today was really but really fed up with this encoder jittering that i decided to follow the steps .
although its for a ESX it worked on my EMX.
A few steps are different on an emx you have 2 screws to get the ribbon off and dont forget the small ribbon attached to the board (which is the arpeggiator)

There was a few silicone goop in it , i just got some toilet paper and cleaned as much off it as possible.

I just took my time on each part specially dissassembling the housing n s**t...
just reassembled it , partially tested it and its working normally again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: