Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

se02 vs monologue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: se02 vs monologue Reply with quote

Found this interesting

SE02 vs Monologue
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was interesting.
Sounded like the mono had bigger bottom. Although the mono was louder at times in the test.
But very similar sounds. I did seem to prefer the mono for its fluffy distortion on the high res. and bigger bass.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in full agreement. I would take the monologue or Behringer D over the se02.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's suprising.
I did speak to a fello online who is absolutely in love with his se-02 ,calling it the real deal. He has lots of synths..but just one opinion.
I'm confused. I may just buy a new mixer.
Theres possibly too many boutiques (for me to think).
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar place. As much as I would love the Monologue and Behringer D I really need a way to manage midi devices.

What I wonder about the vs vids on youtube is how much of the vs is scewed by someone who just happens to be better tweaking one device over the other. Someone with more experience on the SE could possibly make its sound better then a monologue in his hands simply because he is better with it. That may not be the caae in this video about the two. I really don't remember who did the comparison but there are so me vs that are just more balanced then others.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes vids can be deceptive.

For midi solutions would the iConnect midi4+ or mio be any use to you?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, I am looking at them now. One issue is they only pass midi so if you wanted and editor and it used anything but midis it wouldn't work with the non midi information. I could see that being an issue with the Minitaur probably not so much with the minilogue since I haven't used any software associated with but but the Kronos would be a problem because I like the Karma software and Maschine won't work either. I have a power USB hub so I think first step is to try all of them through it and see what happens.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very similar in raw sound. The filters are very much the difference between the two, but the SE-02 steps when it's own cutoff knob is turned. I'm an old acquaintance of stepping parameter changes from using the M1 (even using the data slider it steps due to way values are input) and from my Waldorf gear, all of which have a CC per parameter. But the Waldorf's don't step when tweaking them using their own knobs. That's a deal breaker. I was considering one and was willing to over look 1/8th inch outputs and knobs narrower than my little finger (already putting up with those two annoyances owning two Volcas and a Pocket Operator), but stepping when tweaking a knob on the synth is something I can't live with.
Oh Roland, when will you get it right again? Hats off to them for trying to do something that would come from a real boutique synth maker, but maybe it's time Roland rereleased some of their Sound Canvases instead of not quite recreated classic analogues? SC-55 in a mini form factor maybe? There is a whole sector of musicians who remember those boxes with teary eyes as the best band-in-a-box boxes ever made.

Cheers for a very useful comparison video.
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in the comments section below aforementioned vid.:
Quote:

This could be a misleading video. Bear in mind that the SE-02 has the ability to switch between a 12 bB/octave (= 2 pole) filter and the a fatter 24 bB (4 pole) one. The Monologue only has a 12 dB/oct. (2 pole) one. When the SE-02's filter is set to 2 pole and one chooses a single oscillator basic waveform like in the vid. then the SE-02 and the Monologue should be comparable like we indeed see in the video above.
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already own a Monologue and think it's a great value, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at one of those SE-02's either. Seems like a really sweet device and possibly the sexiest Boutique. Amazing how similar these 2 sound in the video, but as others have said I'd love to see what its crazy "3-osc/3 types of crossmod" architecture can do...and demo this next to "Fast LFO" tricks on the Monologue!

Does anyone know how many "motion sequences" you can record per patch on the SE-02? I was really surprised to see that listed among the features. I also don't know how many steps it is.

People talk about the Roland's stepping filter in that video--and I see what they're saying--but unless it interferes with keyboard tracking then it's not a dealbreaker in my books. I think the filter has nice presence and clarity, though I'm personally a fan of the MS-20 -style grit/distortion. I've never demoed a Studio Electronics device, but most Rolands in general produce rich, clear tones.

Overall the SE-02 looks more like a traditional synthesizer with much more fleshed-out EG and overall engine, but the Monologue seems to be more of its own thing with an emphasis on crazy sequencing and "solo stuff". Although feature-wise I think they'd complement each other, the raw sound is almost redundant.

Last edited by thehighesttree on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehighesttree wrote:

People talk about the Roland's stepping filter in that video--and I see what they're saying--but unless it interferes with keyboard tracking then it's not a dealbreaker in my books. I think the filter has nice presence and clarity, though I'm personally a fan of the MS-20 -style grit/distortion. I've never demoed a Studio Electronics device, but most Rolands in general produce rich, clear tones.

Overall the SE-02 looks more like a traditional synthesizer with much more fleshed-out EG and overall engine, but the Monologue seems to be more of its own thing with an emphasis on crazy sequencing and "solo stuff". Although feature-wise I think they'd complement each other, the raw sound is almost redundant.

Somehow I think that the filter keytrack will not be impacted by the stepping filter, considering that keytracking the filter makes it step through the cutoff frequency range according to the notes being played, heheh. I only really heard the stepping as the knob was turned, but not really in the envelope.

I too prefer the MS-20 grittiness, with Roland always being a little too sparkly for my tastes. I agree the Monologue is very much a player's synth and the SE-01 a programmer's synth.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured that was probably the case. I just remember my old Poly-800ii and how sad it was to be stuck on hard digital steps with a lot of the parameters so maybe I'm shell-shocked. Very Happy

Speaking honestly, Monologue's not exactly my favourite synth to play keys-wise...the keybed action is pretty shallow and clacky but I'm also no keyboardist so take that as you will.
I've mainly been using it as a sequenced bassline/analog drumline device. Reduce the sequence resolution to 2 bars and you can still make good stuff, even 4 bars works in some cases for me. It's cool that you can adjust this, then by squeezing the potential out of the 4 motion sequences you can do some pretty far-out stuff! I love the shaper per oscillator too and the fact that basically any synth parameter on the face can be sequenced. The sequencing, generous patch storage and sonic character are killer features for me, and cool stuff like the 'scope, battery power, and the tempo-synced and fast LFO options really take it to the next level for the price!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: