Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording acoustic guitar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Recording acoustic guitar Reply with quote

I'm not exactly sure where to put this thread.
I'm hoping that maybe Sharp or someone could possibly start a recording tips thread.
I'm looking to find good ways to record an acoustic guitar. Yes, I do know there are a lot of ideas about this floating around and I have checked out quite a few but I just thought it might be interesting to have one here on the forum seeing as how many people are home recorders like me.

Today, I'm off work sick, I'm going to try recording my Martin acoustic with a Sennheizer MD 421.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a hallway in my house that with the doors closed it has added some nice reverb, I have tried the hall with an with out a blanket hung up and it creates some differences none of them bad, maybe not worth the trouble though. If I don't want that I just sit with a blanket hung up. I think it sounds quite realistic but my playing isn't anything to brag about to start with, Although recording certainly seems to capture every single little mistake I make!

I found it fun to travel around the house trying different corners and facing different directions, the mic or mics and my self. You can loose a day easily experimenting like this.

I should also add I installed the KK pure western mini pups in my 000-18 and direct they sound darn good as well, closer even then the mixing I did. Nothing sounded 100% but my guitar, all guitars sound different to me depending on if I am playing or sitting in front listening.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm having pretty good luck by using 2 mics. My Sennheiser MD421 and a Behringer B-5 small diaphragm condenser. It seems to be a combination that works quite well for all of my acoustics. I have a small bedroom studio.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this might sound cliched and all but I've had great success with using a bathroom. The bathroom I used was as good as a corridor as far as it's size and shape, but it had a little more reflections than a corridor due to the tiles, helping emphasis the upper frequencies. I used one dynamic mic handing in the middle of the room, above the space cowboy playing it.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Cowpoke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recording a singing guitarist presents its own unique set of problems, because not only do you want to get a good sound for both instruments, you also want to present them in an appropriate balance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: