Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how stupid can korg get!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stalian87

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: how stupid can korg get! Reply with quote

I'm so angry to find out that you can't save something as simple as a transposition with any style without making a song book entry! this is schoolboy rubbish!

i do program changes from a kronos to select certain styles on the pa3x and transposition settings were so important to me...now i'll have to remember to change them manually before performing certain songs...this is ridiculous!

unless there's a way for the the program change to select a songbook entry which i highly doubt.

not happy!
Snoopy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: how stupid can korg get! Reply with quote

stalian87 wrote:
...unless there's a way for the the program change to select a songbook entry which i highly doubt...

See page 905 from the PA4X manual, it IS possible !!!

MIDI-Transpose can also be sent and received, see page 1102 / 1103

YRTF Wink

PA4X MUSIKANT, OS 3.1.0, PKG-Version
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: how stupid can korg get! Reply with quote

stalian87 wrote:
I'm so angry to find out that you can't save something as simple as a transposition with any style without making a song book entry! this is schoolboy rubbish!

i do program changes from a kronos to select certain styles on the pa3x and transposition settings were so important to me...now i'll have to remember to change them manually before performing certain songs...this is ridiculous!

unless there's a way for the the program change to select a songbook entry which i highly doubt.

not happy!

Now please delete your original post or rename it. It is very derogatory.

There is a way to ask a question and a way to NOT ask a question.

You win the prize for the LATTER!
stalian87

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm 100% right as you CANT save transpositions per style so I won't take anything back, thanks!

I've been with korg since the i30 so if I wanna slag them off for something stupid, I will.
stalian87

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I wasn't asking a question
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this something you were able to do before, but you can't do after updating to V.2?

stalian87

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought the keyboard so I'm not sure I this is a limitation from the start or a bug but from the wording of the manual, it's a limitation.
Snoopy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

of yourse you canīt save transpositions to styles.

What for ?

Thereīs absolutely NO reason to do this.

If you play everything from the PA4X => Use Songbook, thatīs what it was made for !

If you play via MIDI => Transpose the transmitter and set it to "MIDI transpose enabled" and the PA4X to "Receive MIDI transpose".

So, if you play "Bb" ( transpose +2 ) the PA4X will sound in "C".

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I don't fully understand why Stalian wants to save the transpose value with the style, I also agree with Snoopy.

It's far easier to just control the whole thing from the master controller. I know I wouldn't mess up a Style this way. It'll be more work and very confusing!

karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

The PA4X OS is NEW - not a re-hash from previous models.
Korg have maintained the main look-and-feel of the keyboard BUT the PA4X KEYBOARD-SETs, STYLEs and SONGBOOK is newly designed.
As said above, "SONGBOOK" is the way to go - believe me, it is your friend.

What many of us didn't expect (including me) was a bit of a learning curve with the PA4X.
The OS (IMHO) is now far more straight forward, logical and easier to use (once one has read the manual and played it a bit).

...the OS is different this time.

I completely relate to your reaction but I think you will find the whole thing a great improvement once you get used to it.

Happy to help you with any questions etc...

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is that in Pa3X , you could save in Styles any transposition as an individual property of them ,
and this is another discontinued style individual property feature among others in Pa4X , where the re-designed
(and not entirely new) OS is not an excuse ! Wink
I have never understood the purpose of "globalizing" those unique Pa Styles individual features like "Velocity to Fill" ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
paul
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
The fact is that in Pa3X , you could save in Styles any transposition as an individual property of them ,
and this is another discontinued style individual property feature among others in Pa4X , where the re-designed
(and not entirely new) OS is not an excuse ! Wink
I have never understood the purpose of "globalizing" those unique Pa Styles individual features like "Velocity to Fill" ...

AGREED!!!

paul
stalian87

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snoopy, I'm not sure how you can't see why I'd wanna save a style in a certain transposition state.

If I've learned a song in a certain key but I've decided that I need the song in a different key, it's far easier to transpose than to learn the song in another key. I then don't have to remember to manually transpose the style when I'm at a gig as it's saved.

Also the fact that the transposition doesn't reset to 0 after changing styles is another really annoying feature as you don't always have time to think about these little things when gigging and suddenly I've started a song in the wrong key.

Obviously I know this is a new OS etc, but they shouldn't be taking simple features like this away in my opinion.

They have the lock feature which are awesome so would be good to add some transpose options in there. When you're used to a certain workflow for 15yrs it's hard to change that!
Snoopy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stalian87 wrote:
1. ...If I've learned a song in a certain key but I've decided that I need the song in a different key, it's far easier to transpose than to learn the song in another key..

2. ...When you're used to a certain workflow for 15yrs it's hard to change that!...

Hi,
regarding point 1:

I agree that itīs very difficult to "re-learn" playing a song in a different key : So use SONGBOOK !

BTW: I use one style for more than one song...

As an example letīs assume I can only play in "C"

Letīs say I would transpose the key "Bb" for song 1.

Song 2 should sound in "D".

So I had to save the same style 2 times ( maybe with different names )...

If I need it ( letīs say "waltz" ) for 15 Songs...

SONGBOOK (itīs only a database ) makes it much more easy and doesnīt need so much memory as more ( identical ) styles.

Regarding point 2 :

I know that, but you canīt drive a car from 2017 in same way as you did with a car from 2002.
More assistants, other operating modi, more horsepowers etc...

I understand that users who had the PA3X ( I had a Ketron Audya5 and beofre that a Tyros 1 ) were used to do some things "as they ever did".

But from time to time everybody should, like in "real life", check if itīs habbits are still sufficient...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: