Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FX fader failure - Zero4 Mixer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graviton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: FX fader failure - Zero4 Mixer Reply with quote

I bought a refurbished Zero4 mixer, two years ago from Nova Musik.

Haven't had any problems until now. The FX and loop machine will not function unless I put pressure on the fader. I have some electronics background so I had disassembled the Zero4 down to the circuit board. Unfortunately the FX fader is soldered to the board and is not a straight forward fix.

I thought the problem might have been that a pin broke off on one of the faders and was making intermittent contact, but now I beleive the whole fader is gone.

I don't mind replacing the fader myself but I am struggling to find a replacement, any advice out there? Ideally if anyone has a fader part number or a crossreferenced partnumber I'll order it and replace it myself.

Thanks.
3aly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same problem with my first Zero4, i took it back to the shop and they replaced it for me with a second one... Few weeks later I have left Canada for good and went back to the Middle East and the same problem happened again.

I tried contacting Korg but thier customer service was non-existent. I havent tried to dissemble yet due to my lack of soldering and all that but please do reply here when you get a solution. Its been over a year with my FX fader been in this situation
Graviton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news. after 2 hours of careful disassemble, I de soldered my sliding potentiometer. the pin had busted off, (hense the partial contact with pressure on the fader). I soldered on a resistor leg, trimmed it to size and then re soldered back on the board. after a few hours of re assembly I have full control of my FX bus, no thanks to Korg and at a cost of $0.

bad news. lack of and poor support on korg's behalf. this mixer was purchased in canada through a US distributor. first instinct was to call/email korg parts canada. the initial service was great, I was provided with a diagram to pick which part I needed. Their reply was that it was 4-6 weeks delivery/ $10 for the part, 10 admin fee, and 10 for shipping. so $30. I said fine and proceeded to ask for help diagnosing the problem. Below are some of their horrible ways korg has communicating to a customer.

This part can be swapped with similar faders available at mouser electronics. If you want help fixing your unit, I'm in calgary or can maybe walk you through the disassembly. You'd need basic soldering/desoldering knowledge.

After explaining the problem this was the reply I got from Korg. I wonder if any body from Korg actually buys thousands of dollars worth of gear and knows what it feels like to have a feature crap out on you after 2 years. (i bet they have their own internal support team). They weren't even reading my replies, anyone heard of a surface mount slider?

Korg:

Sorry but we don't have the time to give an electronic course to customers.An electronic course is a 3 years long of study without practicing. Surface mount is really hard to make so need a good tech to work on those digital stuff computerized base unit.

Dustin :
What is the going rate for troubleshooting time? Its just a matter of minutes to answer a question where I provide all the details, yes I think this could be the problem or no you might want to investigate this..

Korg:
You will be charge, that's for sure. If you don't want to pay, the only solution is to try by yourself.

Dustin:
Thanks, so I am able to call and get advice troubleshooting this problem. Are there any cost associated with the troubleshooting part?
Is someone obligated to help me?
driverdj2000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i wrote to korg 2 months ago with a problem i was having with my zero4 and guess what? they never bothered to even reply. i solved the issue myself,i hope nothing serious ever goes wrong wit the mixer coz i dont think korg give a s**t bout their customers,if they did they could've simply wrote back to me, love my zero 4 tho but the zeros seem to be very troublesome mixers from what i see on forums
simoism

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graviton wrote:
good news. after 2 hours of careful disassemble, I de soldered my sliding potentiometer. the pin had busted off, (hense the partial contact with pressure on the fader). I soldered on a resistor leg, trimmed it to size and then re soldered back on the board. after a few hours of re assembly I have full control of my FX bus, no thanks to Korg and at a cost of $0.

Sounds exactly like my problem!

Any chance you could give me further info on the busted pin you found in/ on your slider, so i know where to look?

Thanks
fractal404

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys , im having the same issue.

Id also appreciate the part I.Ds very much.....

till then we got no damn effects Sad

peace
+Vader

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance of adjusting the curve of the FX fader? It's the only one missing from the editor, of course...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: