Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pa4x microphone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taichi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: pa4x microphone Reply with quote

Hi all, well pleased with my new Pa4x. However tried to add a microphone and hit problems ref interference. Looked forward to it so much can you please help.
Microphone was Shure sm58. Supplier was great, tried to help and sent a new cable but still hissing and very poor unacceptable quality.
Talked to Korg support who was brilliant. He talked to me by phone at my Pa4x and the settings were correct. The gain knob and every thing else I played around with for three days,
The microphone has been returned like I said the supplier was great and understanding.
I removed electrical plugs and appliances as a test but still unacceptable hissing noises.
Having a microphone on my Pa4x would be so much fun.
Really need to sort it. Hope you can help. Thanks.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sorry to here your problem.... Running a shure beta 87a (phantom power) here with no hissing so perhaps there is a hardware issue with the pre amp section in your PA4x or a Mic problem... how is the replacement Mic? Did korg support not offer to check your unit with there engineer once a process of elimination has been established ? ie. Check a demo pa4x at your dealer etc ?......"Note: as I describe my beta 87a needs to use phantom power...just so I don't confuse you then your SM58 will not require phantom power"
taichi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for quick reply. The supplier like I said was very good and sent a new cable which did not improve matters. So they then offered to send a new microphone Sm58 as a test which I declined because by now this was taking up all of my time.

I now regret this because I tried every thing except a faulty mic. I also assumed that there was not much that could go wrong with a Sm58.

Is the way forward to purchase another Sm58 with a better quality cable.

Fingers crossed. Thanks
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think try a new 2nd mic with your new cable (or a friends perhaps) this will eliminate any Mic problems (mic capsules are delicate things, or a possible manufactured fault) then if possible try your new cable and 2nd mic on a demo PA4X at your dealers if one is available also might be helpful to take your PA4X with you and then you can test and compare and of course at this point if your own PA4X is showing signs of being faulty then your dealer can and should assist you from that point onwards...hope that helps Smile

Last edited by D575 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:46 am; edited 4 times in total
taichi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, I understand what I need to do. New microphone and all hopefully will be ok.

If not back to my dealer for a few tests.

Thanks for your help and quick response.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem taichi... happy to help where I can and there is a massive amount of knowledge on this forum to tap into so you are in the right place with your PA4X..... hope you resolve your problem soon and happy playing and singing with your PA4X Smile
shadowhankron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sorry for intruding on this thread,but I tried my shure sm58 mic with xlr cable in pax4 and I got no sound at all....never used a mic before in any keyboard but reading this thread prompted me to try it out...not sure if any global settings need to be made

regards
Ronnie
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ronnie

You maybe didn't change the "Audio-In" to "Mic" in GLOBAL mode - also check the "gain" knob at the back of the keyboard near the input ports.

I've use SM58s for a long time on all my Korgs - they are nice mics.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
taichi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ronnie and Pete for taking the time to comment on my microphone problem. Pete is correct, I had to go into Global and turn on MIC function. It could be on by default but mine was off.

Again as Pete said adjust the gain knob until green light is on most of the time. Orange is ok occasionally but you do not want a RED light. My problem was as I adjusted the GAIN knob to get rid of hissing I reduced the sound of the microphone to almost zero.

And so when I get my new SM58 I promise to report back hopefully with good news. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again all.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi taichi yes finger crossed there, but should this problem still be present, then as said before head to your dealer with your PA4X in the back of the car with your New Mic and Cable and take it from there as discussed previously and hopfuly a solution will be confirmed with your dealer...dont give up as we have a great keyboard here and that's coming from someone who has had hardware issue of a diffrent kind historicity and I am very glad I stuck with it in the end... so good luck Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: