Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help for a newbie?> brand new korg kronos x 88

View previous topic :: View next topic  
korgiefanatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: help for a newbie?> brand new korg kronos x 88 Reply with quote

New in the box was bought 2 yrs ago and never opened.Whats the 1st thing to do as far as updating to latest os and loading free patches to start?? any help would be great. thanx
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible. What's the story behind the box not being opened for two years?

A suggestion would be to become familiar with the keyboard first, and make sure it works OK. Just enjoy it. Learn how the control surface works, how to invoke Karma and call up different scenes. No need to update the system too soon, or load it chock full of free Programs or Combis. The Kronos X is loaded with plenty of good sounds out of the box, and loading new Progs or Combis can cause issues if their destination overwrites existing Programs and Combis. At least back up the original Programs and Combis before installing any new ones. Fresh out of the box, this isn't really necessary, since factory presets can be reloaded to restore back to more or less the original state, but it's useful to get into the habit of making regular backups if the plan is to keep installing new Programs and Combis.

Updating the operating system is fairly straightworward, provided the instructions that come with the system upgrade files are followed.

korgiefanatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx....it does all work 100% and sounds great. It was bought for a gift and never given so they gave it to me. I just dont know if having the latest firmware is important?? I have an m3 -88 with redius board and love ittttt...i like to have the latest os in these gear usually but just wonder about decent free combi/patches before they likely go away maybe. thanx for the reply
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

korgiefanatic wrote:
thanx....it does all work 100% and sounds great. It was bought for a gift and never given so they gave it to me. I just dont know if having the latest firmware is important?? I have an m3 -88 with redius board and love ittttt...i like to have the latest os in these gear usually but just wonder about decent free combi/patches before they likely go away maybe. thanx for the reply

You need to register your kronos on the Korg website and then you will have an account to use to retrieve authorization codes for any free patches from Korg if they have any for Kronos X.
Register the Kronos and get an Account with Korg is the first step. I don't know any other way to get authorization codes for korg supported patches. You can get simple PCG file exchanges between other kronos users and not worry about authorization codes. But what Voip said about issues of bank and slot conflicts is real if you are not well experienced with the new-sound loading system. Backing up every file you have, before making any new moves, is important, even the original factory set file.
Get a USB drive for an external back up also. One file internal and a duplicate filed in external drive and maybe even a third copy on another external USB drive(like i do).

When you get a Korg account, you can get third party patch or sound sets from Korg right away, and download them to a file and hold them for when you are ready to install them without risk of confusing your bank arrangement.

It is worth it to get to know the old OS before updating. Even worth it to run into the bugs an old OS may have. Learning Kronos comes with learning the nature of problems it can have. You won't be as oblivious when you read about history of system bugs in old OS and will understand the lineage of feature upgrades that came with successive OS updates over the years.

Kronos X may not be allowed to have free authorize codes for the EX libraries that Kronos 2 did. You can always pay for any ones you want.

Nothing wrong with updating to the latest OS today, if you want. Register your kronos with Korg and get an account and then you can move towards getting extra sounds from Korg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: