Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Midi Thru Solution for all Volcas ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stubenhocker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Which Midi Thru Solution for all Volcas ? Reply with quote

Soon I will own all Volcas. So there will be 6.

I want to control all with a Arturia Keystep or Beat Step Pro.

A nice solution is the Kenton Splitter but it offers only 5 Midi Thru Ports.
https://www.thomann.de/de/kenton_midi_thru_5.htm

Now I am searching an alternative with more than 5 Midi Thru Ports.
The gear should have the same qualitiy like the Kenton and should be not too expensive.

When I am thinking of adding more Synths in the future how can I handle that?

Or is it possible to get 2 Kenton 5 Midi Thru Boxes and somehow connect 10 Midi Synth?

Or should I buy directly a more powerful gear like this?
https://www.thomann.de/de/kenton_midi_thru_25.htm

Does anybody have some experience and can give me an advice for a solution that is not so expensive?

Thanks for any suggestions...
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentons are good. I have a Merge4 and it does what it says very well. You can use two THRU5's to address nine MIDI devices, not ten, only because one of the outputs on the first will need to be sent to the second. A THRU25 will mean you can expand far beyond two THRU5's but I find that I rarely send the same MIDI stream to more than five devices. That said, I have three MIDI patchbays/routers, a MERGE4, a Phillip Rees V3 and several Novation controllers with a THRU and two output which can also act as THRU ports, making a total of 31 input ports and 46 output ports for MIDI routing and am probably going to get another 8x8 patchbay/router as soon as I do this month's invoicing.

As far as the sequencer is concerned, I have both of the ones you mentioned and as much as the BSP is one of the two sequencing hearts of my setup, I'd recommend you get the Keystep only because all of the Volcas include an on-board sequencer, so you really only need a time source for them all to sync to and the Keystep sends MIDI clock when stopped whereas the BSP doesn't. What that means is if you only want to program a sequence on one of your Volcas without running a sequence to it, it will run when you press it's play button regardless of if the Keystep is running or not. With the BSP, if you want to do the same, you will need to hit play on the BSP so it sends a clock out, but that will also start every single Volca, which can be rather annoying sometimes.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Stubenhocker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your fast and professional support!!!
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:

As far as the sequencer is concerned [...] the Keystep sends MIDI clock when stopped whereas the BSP doesn't.

Woooooooot?! Is that a bug or a feature? Thanks for that piece of info man. Never would't have guessed that or searched for that info before buying. Smile
mesoboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.retrokits.com/rk-004/
Stubenhocker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesoboy wrote:
https://www.retrokits.com/rk-004/

Not uninteresting Wink

Thanks a lot for the link.
djenzyme

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more pricey but well built and efficient:

http://ericasynths.lv/en/shop/standalone-instruments-1/midi-thru-box/
jeftones

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo the five through should be good unless you are using that retrokits midi cable or a specifically mapped beat step pro for the volca sample. Basically five midi thru would go to the beats, kick, key, bass, fm and then run a sync signal to the sample because the sample handles midi weird.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MeneerJansen wrote:
megamarkd wrote:

As far as the sequencer is concerned [...] the Keystep sends MIDI clock when stopped whereas the BSP doesn't.

Woooooooot?! Is that a bug or a feature? Thanks for that piece of info man. Never would't have guessed that or searched for that info before buying. Smile

Well I'd call it a regular function, as I expect a sequencer to send MIDI clock when stopped, though it can cause an issue when running multiple sequencers as the clock data will add up when merged and leave you with some break-neck tempo speed at the end of the chain. The BSP not sending MIDI clock when stopped is okay if it is your master, as you are controlling everything after it with it but in a multi-sequencer setup, you will need some sort of MIDI clock repeater or a way to split-off master MIDI clock (a splitter/THRU box) before the BSP, send it around the BSP and then merge the split with the output of the BSP using something that can select one MIDI clock input and ignore the others (such as a Kenton Merge4 or an Orange Crush when the are available again) for anything you want to run independent of the BSP that is sitting after it.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: