Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MicroKorg S audio output not working, help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nan23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: MicroKorg S audio output not working, help Reply with quote

Hey guys and garls Surprised

Its Nando here, a newbie into synths (also audio-interfaces and active-monitors) so please bear with me. Wink

I'm a proud owner of the latest MicroKorg S, this one has build-in speakers for on the go, ( played last night some lullabies in bed)

Everything's works fine, BUT the output on its back isn't working, only the headphone output works as it should. I had intensive contact with the shop, where I bought it, they have excellent service and knowledge. So we decided to replace the Microkorg, ( within 30 days return service)

But still got the same problems.. Mad

Using a audio-interface is for now the solution, but I only can use it by using the headphone-output, with a cable that splits left/right again, and guiding those into line 1 and line 2 in my audio-interface

link: http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Audio-Interfaces/UMC204/p/P0AUY

That works for now but I want to solve the problem of my audio-output.

Good to know, if I plug something into my headphone output, the MicroKorg recognises it and shuts off the intergraded speakers, Switching like it should. But putting something in OUTPUT R L/MONO nothing happens. But my interface signal, lights up when I play a key Confused

somebody had as well the same issues? can't find it through google, Really tried as much as possible as I could. What am I missing Question

who has the golden answer Arrow Idea
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Mmh, the fact that the interface signal lights up indicates that it at least receives something.
Things to check:
* Do you use 2 cables for L/R?
* Are these cables 'mono' - meaning only a tip and sleeve connection (only 1 small plastic ring on the jack itself, i.e. only 2 metal contacts)?
* Set the audio interface to line mode
* Set the mix to 12 o'clock.
* Turn up the volumes gradually of both the synth (volume) and the interface (gain)
* Switch off the pad if necessary

Have fun
nan23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:

Do you use 2 cables for L/R?

Yes I use 2, 1,5 meter TRS cables, 6,3mm jack.

OpAmp wrote:
Are these cables 'mono' - meaning only a tip and sleeve connection (only 1 small plastic ring on the jack itself, i.e. only 2 metal contacts)?

You mean TR or TRS? I use TRS cables.

OpAmp wrote:
Set the audio interface to line mode

I tried that, Line or instrument doesn't matter

OpAmp wrote:
Set the mix to 12 o'clock

Mix button, left/right or middle doesn't matter, it does matter if I want to play sound from my Mac, to the right I hear sound, to the left to should give sound from the instrument, witch it doesn't.

OpAmp wrote:
Turn up the volumes gradually of both the synth (volume) and the interface (gain, Switch off the pad if necessary

I tried that as-well Crying or Very sad

Thanx for, thinking out loud, giving advice and helping me out!! perhaps I should make a youtube video of my gear/setting and show it? that would help?
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: use ts cables Reply with quote

use ts cables
not trs
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, as iowagold suggests, use TS cables. That's why I initially raised the question.
Make sure the 48V phantom power is off as well.
nan23

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Fixed it, so thats great, but now... Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I called with the audio helpdesk, where I bought it from, and we did all the steps I did before, but now we did the trick!

Leave a 6.3 to 3,5 mm adapter in the headphone output (by doing so the integrated sound is turned off) And connect the cables (left/right) from the output directly to my active monitors.

Somehow now it worked, i tried this before on my other MicroKorg and then it didn't worked,, Surprised well it works for now. So in a way my problem is solved!

BUT,

the sound is extremely low, Its connected to my JBL LSR308

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr308#.WbV9yK3y5E6

they have tremendous power! The sound they produce is like 10% of what the can do.. I don't get it Rolling Eyes

Connecting the MircroKorg to my audio-interface, and finally to my JBL's is not doing any better.. Really, i'm I this stupid? what do I miss?

MicroKorg sound output - gain max
Audio-interface - line 1/2 gain max ( clipping, red lights, sound gets distorted )

If I switch the pad button on, to reduce the clipping the sound is just turned down. Getting really tired of this.

I just thought: get some decent active monitors, a decent audio-interface and it should work.. Should I get a DI box? A good one is I guess radial ProD2 Stereo Direct Box: http://www.radialeng.com/jdi.php

Or invest in a better audio-interface? currently having the u-phoria umc204HD link > https://www.thomann.de/nl/behringer_u_phoria_umc204hd.htm

If you think I lack of knowledge please say so, and perhaps guide me where to find it then.. perhaps I should post my question in a other post? Arrow
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Mmh, nice workaround with adapter in the headphone output, but still a bit strange to me. If that is really the only way to use the L/R, then that sounds more like problem to me of the MicroKorg S that Korg missed at the design of the synht.

Padding is indeed a reduction in volume in case the gain knob goes out of range to avoid clipping. The fact that you get clipping, means that the outputs of the MicroKorg are hot (high volume). This tends then according to me to a problem of the JBLs, but indeed that is like unbelievable. Did you try them with something else?
nan23

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Did you try them with something else?

Hi OpAmp,

No I did not, I don't have more active monitors laying around hehe Surprised
I really don't get it, In the manual of the Microkorg, its explained in a couple of frases, page 5 of Owners Manual:

" Connections from the audio outputs

Connect the microKORG S's OUTPUT L/MONO and R jacks to the input jacks of
your mixer or powered monitor system.
In order to take full advantage of the potential of the microKORG S, we recommend
that you use stereo outputs.
If you are making monaural connections, use the L/MONO jack"

I think its a contradiction that my Audio-interface is clipping, but the sound is extremely low, when it clips, the sound comes distorted out of my speakers.

low sound-output would suggest that the audio input source is very weak ain't it? What I could do is take my MicroKorg, to a physical store and try to connect it to other speakers.. I do think a better audio-interface could solve this problem,, I have the feeling it isn't working with my macbook as it should.
The gain of my audio-interface is wayyyy to low, thinking of returning it and get a even more expensive version..
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Did you try them with something else?

What I meant with this was: did you try the monitors with some other source?
Another suggestion is to exclude the audio interface as a trial. Just run L/R from the Micro to the JBL. At least you can rule out then the audio interface as the problem or not.
Pay attention to raise slowly volumes on the Micro when going direct in the monitors...

Hopefully it is fine now...
nan23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey opAmp Smile

I did, currently using my macbook pro (spotifyPremium) also, Iuse the monitors during the day just for leisure.

The sound level is extremely low also through my inter-face,

Quote:
Just run L/R from the Micro to the JBL.

It works, but the sound level is again extremely low! so strange, with my MicroKorg on its max..

I have a old, very old mixer, if I connect him to my JBL'S and my laptop the sound is loud, as it should be..

Really think that I have to invest in a better audio-interface,,

I started a topic on Gearslutz about the audio-interface/synth problem..
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/1174780-beginner-gets-stuck-home-studio-world.html

One day, just one day It will work haha
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the input sensitivity setting on the JBL LSR308? -10dBV or +4dBu? The former is the most sensitive, by a factor of ~4 in voltage terms (or ~15-fold in power terms). The output level specification for the microKorg S is "+0.0 [dBu] or more", so it won't fully drive the JBLs on the +4dBu setting.

nan23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the input sensitivity setting on the JBL LSR308? -10dBV or +4dBu?

You my sir fixed all my problems! Amazing!

I assumed that it had to be on +4dBu, Mainly because in the manual of the JBL's the advise to switch to +4dBu when connected to pro-audio,
I thought, Audio-interface and a MicroKorg is legit Pro-audio

Finally they sound great, and no tweets pops when raising the sound level to a loud volume. The reason I didn't change the sensitivity settings, is because my previous audio-Interface: Lexicon Alpha just did great with +4dBu, strange Confused

Gonna do a bit more homework about sensitivity settings.

Thank again, Voip Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: