Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Control pitch shift with an external isntrument?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pallero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Control pitch shift with an external isntrument? Reply with quote

Hey everyone

My scenario is this: I play sounds from the Kronos with an electronic drumkit. I have figured out assigning the notes for the drum pads just fine, but when I play the drumkit modules internal sounds, I often use the Hi-Hat open/closed pedal to control the pitch of the drums in the kit, in a continuous fashion, without steps.
Can you help me figure out how can I do the same, but while playing the sounds from the Kronos?
I know the number of the midi note triggered by the pedal.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Control pitch shift with an external isntrument? Reply with quote

Pallero wrote:
Hey everyone

My scenario is this: I play sounds from the Kronos with an electronic drumkit. I have figured out assigning the notes for the drum pads just fine, but when I play the drumkit modules internal sounds, I often use the Hi-Hat open/closed pedal to control the pitch of the drums in the kit, in a continuous fashion, without steps.
Can you help me figure out how can I do the same, but while playing the sounds from the Kronos?
I know the number of the midi note triggered by the pedal.

hi hat open then closed might be 1 or 2 note values. Each drum kit has a map of the kit sounds assigned to a key or note across the keyboard

us keyboard players tap out the drum kit sounds on the keys.

Don't know if this helps much
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitch control over the drum samples in Kronos is either by "tune" or "transpose".
Tune will be continuos without steps or very small unnoticeable steps of 1 cent or 1/100 of a semitone per step, all over a single octave range only.
Transpose will change pitch in greater intervals and over a longer range of octaves. Transpose usually shifts the samples up along the keyrange but not sure if it does the same in drum kit parameters of global mode. I suspect it does the same.

The issue is that the individual drum pieces are set up in a kit in Global mode and any per-sample-modulations will not be abailable in Program mode where you are limited by OSC parameters or synth engine parameters.
From what i see in global mode, there is no global mode AMS or control for the "tune" function of a drum sample. There is only selecting the edit cell and using Increment controls like the dial, value slider or < > buttons. Maybe if you give value slider CC#18 to your hi-hat pedal and see if it does value slider over the edit cell for "tune" in global mode drum kit sample parameters?

There is a list of CC# functions and related controls that are relevant to to kronos. Parameter guide page 1121 to 1130.
I cannot see much for control of Global Parameters. I saw a few sys-ex for global pararameters, just a few. Maybe you will have better luck than i did searching the list.

Drum kit set up sets up a multi sample of drum pieces. You can go to Sampling mode and also look at Parameter guide page 704- 706.
So you can compare how Sample mode works a multisample and how Global mode works a drum kit. Drum kit has the HD-1 style velocity layering which multisample does not in Sample mode. But they both have pitch/tune functions to explore for any way to control them. So far, no AMS options around them and also no specific control assigned to them other than responding to universal controls like Value slider, dials and inc-dec buttons. Those universal controls may be your only option if you can find Sys-ex or midi CC linked to them. They are very global style controls and your drum kit parameters are also global. Global is just not set up for advanced controller magic.

Most drum machines are set up with a simple kit around 16 pieces, each to a pad. Kronos drum kits are extensive mulitsample style setups with room for 88 active pieces put to keys. And then they are made to be inserted into a synth engine where the synth engine works on them. Most Drum machines stop short of moving the drum kit into a synth engine. So it is different in kronos. You may have better luck with detune and pitch control in the synth engine, HD-1 for drum kits, but it will not adjust individual samples. It adjusts the entire drum kit and does not show AMS or a specific control linked to pitch control. Only controls available are the universal value slider, dial or inc-dec buttons over an edit cell.

Tone adjust works on the OSC which is per synth engine and not what you have in Global for drum kits or Sample mode for multi samples. Tone adjust asignments do have pitch and tune assignments but not looking like it is good for drum kit parameters in global.

Maybe there is a way i cannot see, but I have to say i do not know anyway to do it other than fnding a way to use your hi/hat pedal to control the dial or inc-dec buttons and then highlighting you sample parameter for tune while in global mode.
If there is a way, i would like to know.
Pallero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the extensive reply! I'll have to study about assigning cc values properly. I am not only triggering drum samples from the Kronos, but also other instruments like synths, organs and SFX, if that would clear up the problem at all. For that purpose I've been using Combi mode by just assigning a certain midi channel to a track which has the instrument that I want the drum pads to trigger.
But yes, apparently most of the values in the Kronos can be controlled vie midi, since I've been having problems with my Drumkit-Kronos setup, wherein values in the Kronos sound are being altered or switched when I've been trying to change or play something only within the Roland drum module. Is there a way to tell Kronos not to accept value changes via midi from other devices, or do I have to specify each cc value triggered by the drum pads or buttons/sliders in the drum module to not have a specific function for the Kronos? So that the drums would only play the keys of the Kronos and not alter anything else?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: