Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW - KORG Pa700, Pa700 Oriental, Pa1000, KORG KROSS 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozdaniel(AD)
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: NEW - KORG Pa700, Pa700 Oriental, Pa1000, KORG KROSS 2 Reply with quote

Enjoy
http://www.korg.com/us/

Regards
Daniel AD
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the rumor from GC about a new workstation really referred to the KROSS 2?

Yamaha may follow in KORG's footsteps with some new releases as well.
Something I noticed is that a large retailer in Europe, Thomann, first sold only the 61 key version of new models of the Montage a couple of weeks ago, and only B-stock models of the 76 and 88 keys versions.
Now it seems that Thomann does not even list the 61 key version anymore, and there is only one B-stock model of the 88 key version left, which is strange considering that the Montage is a fairly recent model.
If you look it up via Google you get to see that the Montage no longer is part of their current product range.
Is it because Montage does not sell enough units, or could it be that Yamaha is coming up with something different?
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the Montage ran into trouble because it's more of a performance tool than a dedicated workstation. Fancy for all your whizzy dazzlers, but not a one-stop-shop for composition and production.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the criticism the Montage received it's strange that a large European retailer like Thomann has been clearing the stock of a synth which is a fairly recent addition to Yamaha's catalogue, even the flagship, and no longer carries it as a part of the current product range.
They did the same with the Tyros, which is due for a replacement, but I find it hard to believe that Yamaha would have plans to replace the Montage in the near future.
Or could it be that Yamaha decided to split the Montage in a purely FM synth and a PCM workstation to replace the aging MOXF?

And BTW, my apologies to the OP for taking the topic a bit OT, it is not meant as a sign of disrespect in any way.
It's just that KORG's new releases made me wonder.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My surmise is that the Montage didn't sell well. If it had been blowing the doors off everywhere, they would have produced it in large numbers. That's just commercial reality.

I guess that Yamaha's marketing department are regrouping, and figuring out that something that's OK for performance, and iffy for composition, is too expensive by itself for performance, and can't compete for composition.

KORG has a better track record of making devices that are really good for composition and production, at least for the last five years.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack this thread - but for me the Montage didn't deliver. It needed AFM and RCM synthesis, perhaps even VL technology.

But that aside, despite it's emphasis on performance, the thing looks like a nightmare to program - there are endless sophisticated pages that are a struggle to know what they're about.

And then Yamaha were trying ridiculously hard NOT to emphasis it's synthesis, instead going on and on about its groove, loop and beat capabilities. Who was ever going to buy a $2000+ device that does with beats what any iPad app can do, likely better.

I had hoped for so much from Montage but it just didn't deliver. There's a lot of power under its hood, but the emphasis was wrong. I hope is kicks Yamaha into realising that people are, in fact, interested in synthesis - look at the market for all the other synths coming out.

I feel both Korg and Yamaha are out of step with everyone else - they are afraid to release out-and-out synthesizers or even power-workstations and have to dress them up in all sorts of veneer, Hence something as bland as Kross. While I'm being negative (!) - got to be honest too - not into arrangers - but the PA1000 looks quite boring, visually!

I hope Korg and Yamaha re-find their mojo soon.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, while I agree that the Kross isn't the last word in workstations, I think that it's possibly the wrong target here. The Kross is quite explicitly positioned as a bottom-of-the-range keyboard workstation, chiefly distinguished by light weight, battery operation and doing everything to a minimal level of function.

However, speaking strictly of the Kross as a workstation intended for full-bore production, both the Kross 1 and the Kross 2 blow the doors off the Montage, let alone in terms of price. The Montage appears to have been aimed at not-a-producer performers, or producers who just want some really nice FM synthesis.

This is, in my view, where the Montage failed. It wasn't performer-friendly enough, and it wasn't a challenge to the Kross, let alone the Kronos for producers.

You could get an Integra-7 and a Kross for the price of a Montage, and have a sonic powerhouse plus cash left over for cables, monitors and lunch.

I still think that KORG could (and should) utterly rethink the producer's workstation, but compared to the Montage they offer way more value in what they offer today.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
I wonder if the rumor from GC about a new workstation really referred to the KROSS 2?

Yamaha may follow in KORG's footsteps with some new releases as well.
Something I noticed is that a large retailer in Europe, Thomann, first sold only the 61 key version of new models of the Montage a couple of weeks ago, and only B-stock models of the 76 and 88 keys versions.
Now it seems that Thomann does not even list the 61 key version anymore, and there is only one B-stock model of the 88 key version left, which is strange considering that the Montage is a fairly recent model.
If you look it up via Google you get to see that the Montage no longer is part of their current product range.
Is it because Montage does not sell enough units, or could it be that Yamaha is coming up with something different?

I can't back it up much but for what I've noticed at various sites most bought a 76 keys montage which instantly gained and been preferred above the 61 key's as have I, wont return it and certainly not giving any if Yamaha would release a true workstation at all. And if I give it my two cent that if they do bring out another keyboard it probably won't have the "Alien tech" inside.

Mean while I'm eye-balling Korg for their many releases this year. O.o

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has any clue...how would the PA1000 pair to the older PA800, 1X
or even before that the PA80...since it is a lower level model then the PA3,4X?
Rockitman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: PA800 Reply with quote

I have the PA800, and for what I see the PA1000 has maybe two things I would be interested in. A better piano sound and the chord sequencer. That's still not enough for me to take the leap. I know PA800 is 2006, so showing it's age, but it still works great for me. I am waiting for PA5X and 76 keys.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!"
If the PA800 does all you need, then why change?
Quote:
I am waiting for PA5X and 76 keys.

BUT... the current PA4X is quite different to the PA800....

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
wma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

If the PA800 does all you need, then why change?

from demos i've heard i believe later ones sounds different/ refined specially ac.pianos e.pianos & orchestral sounds - even the new ones when comparing pa1000 to pa4x difference in sound can be recognized and the styles sounds better - it's an entertainment keyboard it's not all about functionality and it's more joy when playing a flagship than a mid-range, i just hate the price i think it should not be as high as 4000$
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: