Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soulwax KracK MS20 Patch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardmuncle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Soulwax KracK MS20 Patch Reply with quote

Hi guys, for over a decade i've listened to soulwax krack, it is literally one of my all time favourite tunes, its just got a magic to it that i can't explain and honestly think its the best tune Soulwax ever made.

I've recently gotten a MS20 mini and i've spent days trying to recreate the patch, but alas i cannot, i also think that they use pitch bend from a kenton midi for the actual line, and the mini wont accept pitch bend i'm guessing a kenton midi does though and just changes the CV slightly, so I don't think i'll ever get a 100% recreation of the patch, but i would like to get the best i can!!!

So is there any really experienced MS20 owners who could maybe give me some pointers on this here is a link to the part im most interested in but any soulwax patches people ever made i would love to see!!!!

https://youtu.be/TC3kG_cxXd4?t=59s
hardmuncle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Someone must have a little insight into this!!!!
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mate, but I think that sound wasn't done on an MS-20 and was done on an EMS Synthi, as seen and heard here: https://youtu.be/ifsCmyNVrLA?t=5m40s
So, now, your mission is to find a working EMS Synthi for sale and not have to sell your house to buy it. Good Luck!!
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
mihu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have ms-20 but I've managed to achieve something similar on karp using portamento. The trick is to set the time to fit the playing tempo and to apply the slide only to certain notes. For example you play C and E without portamento, then switch it on and play G repeatedly. This is quite easy on karp, which has a dedicated foot-switch for portamento control. On ms-20 you would probably achieve this by playing legato accordingly.

Another approach would be to use envelope to raise the pitch. The envelope would be triggered by the momentary button only on certain notes. Necessary patching is described here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdxzgN2t26E

You can use both those tricks simultaneously for better results. Note that implementation details of portamento and envelopes (curves, ranges etc.) vary from synth to synth, so it may be hard to replicate the effect exactly.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading the original post again and thought it was odd that the MS-20 mini didn't accept pitchbend, but I don't own a mini and am used to setting up a modwheel patch for pitch bend if I want it. I'm thinking that there must be some way to pipe in MIDI for mod sources with these new MS-20's, and if that is possible, to be able to patch pitchbend into the pitch total patchpoint so to have the MS-20 react to MIDI pitchbend messages. I'm only guessing as my MS-20 is almost as old as me and doesn't have the MIDI kit.

The Kenton MIDI to CV boxes do something along the lines of converting the pitchbend messages into relative voltage changes to the pitch CV running to osc CV patchpoint(s). That way there is only a need for one patch cable and also frees up the total socket for other forms of modulation.

I don't know why I didn't address anything but the source of the sound in my first post, possibly because I was thinking the sound wasn't really possible on an MS-20 due to the very different filter sound of the EMS Synthi. Silly me, there is always the challenge of trying to get close!
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: