Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many MB sample ram in KROME?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yank

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to save samples as 8 bit raw when i used the first program for loading samples to Krome 4 years ago, that's why i asked.So if Kromatic read 16 bit waves and sounds like 16 bit, it's just cool.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yank wrote:
I had to save samples as 8 bit raw when i used the first program for loading samples to Krome 4 years ago...

You're right, yank - Kromatool, the first third-party program that generated IMG files, only supported 8-bit raw samples (at least in the early versions?)...Kromatic is a much better (in a lot of ways) and more stable program, and does support 16-bit samples, as does the Krome itself...

df
castorex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to check that.
Kromatic accept 16 bit samples, but convert them to 8 bit samples.
It is very easy to test it: You can load 32Mo of 16bit samples, and it fulfills exactly the 16Mo available in the software. And there is nothing to do with compression... an exact division by twice two Wink .
I have tried to convert a piano bank for my Kross (using kromatic + another tool to adapt the bank format only) and the result was clear.
Yes, This Tool is not directly compatible with Kross... but using another tool which can only convert Krome Bank to Kross bank format, it works very well (be careful to limit the waveforme to 8Mo in Kromatic).
The results were good, even with 8 bit samples. The limitation is the MONO samples, you need both samples (right and left) if you want a stereo Tones... useful for piano, strings, etc.

Things will be better with kross 2 (128Mo of official expandable memory using true 16bits sample and certainly stereo multisamples) and perhaps for a future Krome 2 with the same feature (???).
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be some data compression comparable to that of the Trinity? Does anyone have more information on the actual compression performed by the SW?
yank

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the creator of Kromatic says - read the comments bellow video.
Looks like Roland JV series compress/expansion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r4bO-06-kY&t=11s
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, yank! I think I'll contact the developer. Looks pretty close to what I discovered so far from reverse engineering compressed Trinity samples. At least close enough to give some ideas. I guess the coefficients are fixed in the Trinity and you can choose from a set of 8 or 16 different coefficients - I cannot recall the numbers exactly off the top of my head - as opposed to the sliders used to define a huge combination of coefficients in the video...

Quote:
Shinsuke Kobayashi
Shinsuke Kobayashi
1 month ago
The Krome internal format is compressed 8bit resolution (by pre-emphasis technique and non-linear quantization).

Compressed Trinity samples are also stored on 1 byte (8 bits) and when playing back the processed result, it sounds very much like some non-linear distortion/quantization possibly with an added touch of pre-emphasis.

Thanks for the pointer on the Roland - I'll do some research on that, too.
yank

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Synthjoe , here is what Don Solaris at his page says about Roland JV, XV and JD series waveforms compression, similar to what is talking here about Krome :
http://www.donsolaris.com/?p=404

If you can do reverse engineering of Roland waveform format you will be the hero becouse we would then feed our old beloved machines up with new samples Smile
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not claiming that I'd be able to reverse engineer, but at least I'd like to understand the principle... Smile
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bottom line here is that the compressed / companded / altered / (???) samples in the Krome sound good, the same or very close to just about any other rompler's 16-bit samples, and nothing like the 8-bit samples of old...

df
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, I hijacked the thread a bit - apologies to all... This is my thread about the bifurcated topic: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72826&highlight=trinity

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: