Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tap Tempo question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Tap Tempo question Reply with quote

I'm playing a number of songs in one band where I begin it with a solo keyboard intro. The tempo I start with is the tempo that the entire band comes in with. I had a thought that perhaps I could enter the bpm in the Programs and Combis I'm using and save them. However, with the patches I've done this with, the tempo value seems to just stay the same as I last changed it. Does anyone have any advice on how I can accomplish this?
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tap Tempo question Reply with quote

musicbysterling wrote:
I'm playing a number of songs in one band where I begin it with a solo keyboard intro. The tempo I start with is the tempo that the entire band comes in with. I had a thought that perhaps I could enter the bpm in the Programs and Combis I'm using and save them. However, with the patches I've done this with, the tempo value seems to just stay the same as I last changed it. Does anyone have any advice on how I can accomplish this?

It doesn't seem from this (apologies if I'm wrong) that you understand the tap tempo feature. Yes, programs or combis retain the last tempo they were saved with. Tap tempo means you actually tap something while you're doing the intro, in real-time, such as a footpedal. Then the combi/program changes to the tempo you are tapping. Otherwise it's going to use the stored tempo.

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tempo value is saved whenever a Program or Combi is saved, along with any other changes made whilst using the Program or Combi before the save operation. Exceptions to this are Global changes, which need to be saved in Global mode, and changes to relative parameters in a Program or Combi, where Kronos recalculates the values of all the affected parameters based on the current relative settings, and then resets the relative values to 0 before writing to disk.

musicbysterling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Tap Tempo merely to get close to the bpm of the song. I'm not in front of my Kronos at the moment, but I thought I saved different tempos to a couple of different Combis. I'll check it out this evening. Thx!
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Tap Tempo merely to get close to the bpm of the song as I'm listening to the recording. I'm not in front of my Kronos at the moment, but I thought I saved different tempos to a couple of different Combis. I'll check it out this evening. Thx!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Tap Tempo key is used to change the tempo and the Combi is saved before changing to another Combi, then that will be the tempo that the Combi starts with the next time it is called. It's been verified to work here with a tempo of 69.36 bpm.

musicbysterling

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally got to sit in front of my Kronos and mess with the tempo settings of a few of my Combis. I set one Combi at 144bpm, saved it and then chose another Combi. The tempo setting was 144, so I set it to 96bpm and saved it. Going back to the first Combi that I saved as 144bpm, it now reads 96bpm.
In fact, if I scroll through any of the Combis, the bpm reads 144. Going to the Program mode, I set a Program at 96bpm and save it. Every other Program reads 96bpm. I'm just really missing something here.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicbysterling wrote:
So I finally got to sit in front of my Kronos and mess with the tempo settings of a few of my Combis. I set one Combi at 144bpm, saved it and then chose another Combi. The tempo setting was 144, so I set it to 96bpm and saved it. Going back to the first Combi that I saved as 144bpm, it now reads 96bpm.
In fact, if I scroll through any of the Combis, the bpm reads 144. Going to the Program mode, I set a Program at 96bpm and save it. Every other Program reads 96bpm. I'm just really missing something here.

It sounds to me like you turned off the Global Settings for "Load KARMA Settings when changing". Tempo is stored as part of the KARMA settings, so if you turn this off, then each combi will retain the current tempo setting, and the current KARMA settings. If you're not using KARMA, cool - but no need to make this global setting then. It's for a specific purpose of retaining KARMA settings when moving from combi to combi, or program to program.

The setting is on Global > Basic > Basic.

19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicbysterling wrote:

If its not a system glitch ,which is my first guess, it is behaving like a global tempo overide.

So, in Global mode midi tab page, you have Midi clock settings as well as midi filter settings.

Parameter guide page 773 says about Midi clock.
~~~~~~~
This controls whether the KRONOS uses the internal *TEMPO* setting, synchronizes to incoming MIDI Clocks from external MIDI devices or USB (from a computer-based sequencer, for instance), or automatically switches between the two.
~~~~~~~
The "Auto" midi clock settings via USB and Midi cable, have the system automatically switching between internal and external midi clock for tempo.
I am not sure if that actually affects tempo settings in the way of the issue you are having, but it is the closest thing i can come to for a global way for internal tempo to be facing auto override. Also, if Midi clock is set to external and you have no external midi device sending the clock/tempo message, maybe that could have kronos ignoring and confusing your manual internal tempo input.

Be sure midi clock is set to internal and that local control is also set on -in the global midi page. Also the midi filters all checked to on and then disconnect all USB and Midi cables linked to Kronos.
If this changes things for you, then you can trouble shoot from there.

I am just guessing, so not worries if i am wrong, but i had to look for the closest global setting possibilities i can find before signing off with my first impression of your issue being a real system glitch.
Maybe it is a glitch but trouble shooting searches will only help confirm.
So easy to get tangled in Kronos complexities and just give up to settle on the idea that it is seriously glitched.
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve,
Internal MIDI Clock was checked, as with Local On. In Karma, I did have all Karma and Drum Track turned off. Once I checked those two boxes, the bpm's I set for the two Combis I was working with now showed the tempo settings I originally saved.
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: