Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rick Wakeman live in Toronto next week

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnbutt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Rick Wakeman live in Toronto next week Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing Rick Wakeman in concert next Saturday night at Massey Hall in Toronto, Ont. flying down from Thunder Bay, Ont. and taking my son Mike with me to watch this keyboard trailblazer do his thing with Yes featuring ARW. Mike and I also went to see ELP and we met Keith Emerson back stage. what an evening that was. Counting the days now, wow. Graydon
M3-73, Roland Fantom X8, Motif ES7, OMNISPHERE VST and my baby, an old Fender Rhodes 73. Hammond SK2 with Neo Mini-Vent for Organ, Korg Krome 61 with Vintage Synth collection + DSKrome, Killer Organ Package
Roland FA-06
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the ELP concert in Toronto back in '93 or so, and for the Black Moon tour in the small 2500 seat (or so) theater? The show where he had some Hammond issues and they had to stop the show for a short bit?

If so, I was there, too.

..Joe
gnbutt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELP came through Thunder Bay 01/19/1993 on a Canada wide tour, Joe. At the time my son was a young music student taking Royal Conservatory piano lessons every week. Keith was a total gentleman and funny. He took us on stage to see his set up. The world will miss his musical genius. No equipment problems and he threw the old Hammond L-100 around on the stage as usual, played it backwards and stuck a knife in it. What an entertainer and showman he was. He was one of a kind. Graydon
M3-73, Roland Fantom X8, Motif ES7, OMNISPHERE VST and my baby, an old Fender Rhodes 73. Hammond SK2 with Neo Mini-Vent for Organ, Korg Krome 61 with Vintage Synth collection + DSKrome, Killer Organ Package
Roland FA-06
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Different concert.

The L-100 was fine, the Goff C-3 crapped out on him.

..Joe
gnbutt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Mr. Wakeman on Youtube using a newer generation Korg Kronos for "Roundabout", must be tweaked for that terrific Hammond B3/C3 voice, but he also has a Hammond SK1 in his keyboard arsenal. He does pipe organ on a Roland X88 (which I have one too). I told my son Michael who now is 38 and a prolific keyboard player himself, to watch for a tall musician walking on stage with long blonde hair and wearing a full shoulder to floor Cape like a high priest. That, my son, is Mr. Rick Wakeman. One week to go ! Graydon
Roland FA-06
gnbutt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, fantastic show, Rick was adorned in his cape full of sparkle and glitter, great performance and the sound was amazing. As a bonus near the end of the evening, Rick went thru the aisles and circulated the crowd on the main floor with his keytar, what a showman he is. Encore was obviously "Roundabout", my son at 34 and one hell of a classically trained keyboard player himself (university degrees in music), was absolutely amazed with the show musically. Those 2 Korg Kronos keys and others in his arsenal just sounded fantastic. He also used Roland V-Synth, Mellotron, Roland X-88, Hammond SK1, 2 x Moog and 2 others I could not see the make. Two old geezers just like me (I am 61), sat beside my son & I and loved every minute too. Just goes to show you that music is ageless and I truly hope that this era of progressive rock from the 70s-90s holds its place in time for many more generations to enjoy. Cheers ! Graydon
Roland FA-06
gnbutt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need some assistance: I found that Wakeman used a lot of full bodied orchestration or full strings samples mixed together with a chorus and/or choir, just a huge filling sound holding a chord on his Kronos X. A 4-fingered chord he would play in some songs just filled the theatre with a full sounding orchestra mixed with a choir, it was really incredible to hear, I could have sworn that I was listening to a large orchestra and choir singing if I closed my eyes, it was that huge. I would like to know if programming for my Korg Krome can be purchased with samples of these types of full bodied synth samples. I do see Nightwish on Youtube, also using this kind of orchestra/choir/chorus effect. Qui on the forum also might have these sound designs, will have to check. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Graydon
Roland FA-06
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: stacking sounds for the big sound Reply with quote

GN,
stacking sounds for the big sound...
I do it here with synch modules same can be done in most of the synths as parts.
just build it in the channels or same midi channel add effects like delay, verb. etc. etc...
pretty soon you have that sound you are chasing as a live sound!!
see this cat!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVW7yB-5TRo
that is the kind of setup for live production and being able to do it live!!
send me a pm I have done it with modules here in studio A.
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: stacking sounds for the big sound Reply with quote

GN,
stacking sounds for the big sound...
I do it here with synch modules same can be done in most of the synths as parts.
just build it in the channels or same midi channel add effects like delay, verb. etc. etc...
pretty soon you have that sound you are chasing as a live sound!!
see this cat!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVW7yB-5TRo
that is the kind of setup for live production and being able to do it live!!
send me a pm I have done it with modules here in studio A.
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
gnbutt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulN7_7v5Jfk

The sound I heard is something like starting at 2:58 and goes into 4:00, a blend of orchestra/full strings mixed with a choir or chorus. With Wakeman, that full bodied huge background sound was definitely there coming from the Kronos. Probably a custom layered mix. I would certainly be interested in buying downloadable samples of this type of programming for my Krome. I do some light gigging now, just would like to be able to key up a nice orchestration with chorus to boost the body of some songs (even softly or light ambiance) where some "glue" is needed to tie the guitars, bass & drums together with a background ensemble. Maybe someone could suggest some Pads combo's which have orchestration mixed into it. I do own a Roland FA-06 with Juno & Jupiter voices, guess I should go through the library more thoroughly. Cheers ! Graydon
Roland FA-06
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very full sound can quite easily be produced on the Krome, Kronos, M3, Triton or M50. For the Krome try the following: Start with an orchestral Combi e.g. A097 The Orchestra, copy it to an unused slot, together with all its effects, set all the Combi's MIDI channels to 1, remove all the pitch shifts, replace any unnecessary sounds like drums with e.g. a church organ, and a choir, and make sure any reverbs in the Total Effects have a good Wet/Dry ratio, and just experiment and enjoy. Just done the same sort of thing here on the Kronos, and have been blown away by the result.

gnbutt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I am only a novice unfortunately in terms of programming and would prefer to pay a pro like yourself to have it done and send me a small collection of these types of sounds to upload onto my M3 or Krome card. I am not much at tinkering and layering samples. Anyway, I have the message out now on the forum of what I am looking for. I will keep checking the internet too. GB
Roland FA-06
gnbutt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the kind of sound I was looking for. Super Choirs by Dan Stesco on his new Natural Voices library. Cheers ! Graydon
Roland FA-06
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: