Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keytrigger like in kurzweil pc3k

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drummond

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Keytrigger like in kurzweil pc3k Reply with quote

Does kronos have some sorts of keytrigger function like the pc3k? I mean, you press a key as a switch to enable or disable samples, change octaves etc during a performance when in combi mode.
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma has key trigger but i am not sure it functions over exactly what you want.
Pattern RPPR triggers and stops patterns via Keys and i am not sure if there is a way to have that stop samoles from a track sounding out.

I will go explore.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what Kurzweil does exactly, so i can't compare.
Karma has a key trigger function for quite a few things but even where i saw transpose, it may be limited to the modules generated notes rather than keyed notes.
Pattern RPPR is limted, it seems, to start and stop pattern run.

Now i am wondering if "Velocity trigger" is an option. It would be a key trigger but based on Velocity.

Sorry, seems i am getting no where with this. I heard PC3 is a bit different with its midi and control dynamics.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember a RPPR pattern can trigger any midi data, even embedded sysex messages/ commands.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
laandodeman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easy to trigger a sample with a key. You first have to make a multisample and save it as a program (even if you only use one single note in that program, namely, the sample). Then you insert that program in a combi. Make sure the keyboard zone of that program covers that single note and you are done.

I do this all the time.

Just be sure to save this correctly, the save all function does not automatically save samples.
Drummond

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kurzweil keytrigger function is a lot more complex than triggering patterns or samples. Let's say you program the g5 as a switch so each time you press g5 it plays that note an octave higher. And when you press f#5 you return g5 to it's original octave. On other use you could program a sample to be shot the first time you hit a key but not the second time. Or use a key to change the sound assigned to the keyboard, or a midi channel etc. It is more complex.
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummond wrote:
The kurzweil keytrigger function is a lot more complex than triggering patterns or samples. Let's say you program the g5 as a switch so each time you press g5 it plays that note an octave higher. And when you press f#5 you return g5 to it's original octave. On other use you could program a sample to be shot the first time you hit a key but not the second time. Or use a key to change the sound assigned to the keyboard, or a midi channel etc. It is more complex.

Based on what Amit said, RPPR can do a lot. The key is that RPPR takes blocks of recorded midi data to include volume changes, tempo changes, program changes and seems almost anything, and sets up a pattern block that can then be triggered by a key, any key you like except the bottom two octaves used strictly to stop all. And you can set up each assignable key with a pattern assigned. Each can have its own pattern which can contain various control messages. When you hit the key, it can start the pattern run of prerecorded control changes endlessly or for a set number of measures.
RPPR disadvantage is the disabling of the bottom 2 octaves to be used only to stop all in RPPR.

It is more like automation of any inputs or changes you want, but you can run that automation over tracks as you play them and with the benefit of key trigger of the automation scenes. They can run once, endless loop or for as long as you hold the key.
Definitley try out RPPR, it is more automation style of the control changes you want but that automation can be brought in and out by key trigger.

Like Amit said, the key to it is that the recorded patterns being triggered are midi data in variable length block and those block can recorded any midi data or sysex.
If using key to stop the pattern/midi data/sysex, does not undo the control changes it initiated over the tracks when started, you can set up a second key and pattern to run the change back. Press both keys and one will start midi or sysex while the other undo's the same thing.
I am struggling to remember if several keys and several patterns can be assigned over one midi track. Otherwise it would be 16 tracks with one pattern and one key assigned to each. One track to one pattern to one key would be a bit limited in a complex setup especially if duplicate tracks are needed to get dequate control over the duty of one track.

Karma has key trigger of various functions. You can record Karma into Midi tracks and any thing in midi track can be made into a pattern for use in RPPR.

Ther is always Midi control apps where you can have assignable remote control over kronos with all the Kurzweil style flexibility and more. On computer or touch screen tablet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: