Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos timbre loudness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akdmeh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Kronos timbre loudness Reply with quote

Hello!
It is often necessary to adjust the multi-timbrality for several programs inside combi.
For example, in the left hand there is a string / chorus, in the right hand there are bells/piano.
But when I have already adjusted everything, often strings are much quieter than the bells, and the faders of these channels are already at 127.
In this case, I use a Stereo Limiter or a Stereo Compressor, turn it on almost to minimum and then I'll adding to Output Gain + 5-10 dB to some of programs.
Then on the TFX I set the Mastering Limiter at level -0.1 dB.
Of course, you can make the bells quieter, but then some next program/combi (some standard preset) will be too loud, and you need to do it more quietly, and so with dozens of other presets ...

I see the way out is to adjust everything by about 80 at program fader, then make it louder with the compressor's output.
But is it cripple sound heavy? (I checked - the compressor almost does not work, only at the highest peaks).

So, please, tell about your experience - how you decide this factor? Maybe you know some tutorials that describe these moments?
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid there is no simple answer to this.
Different instruments by their very nature have different dynamics and apparent perceived levels. You should approach all this as you would approach a mix.
narrow down the instruments freq zones, find what instruments are fighting each other in same zone and then apply tricks to make each of them stand out, it could be simple eq cuts or side-chain ducking or other treatments depending on what you are after.
Instead of bringing everything up, try reducing everything down , get them to similar level and then boost the master level.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Timbre EQ. Set EQ for loudness on each timbre. I stay away from more gain.
It actually takes away from normal use of EQ's because i end up using the timbre EQ to bring up the regions that make the sound louder rather than trimming the sound for smoothness in the mix.
There is a certain balance between mid and low that makes the sounds much louder. I think i turn the mid below half way and the Low above that or is it the reverse? You will have to explore.
It gets my timbre noticeably louder but then i have to go to other places for regular EQ use. Like chaining in an EQ from effects and then putting the combi in setlist to use the excellent EQ there.

You can always go to the program itself in program mode and look for volume settings in the OSC or wherever as each Synth engine would have it, and save the new settings. Then go back to Combi and use combi volume and gain from there. Now that i think about it, editing the program volume in the program itself may be the best place place to start. You may even find EQ in the program itself as well as the usual Gain and volume.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos timbre loudness Reply with quote

Akdmeh wrote:
Hello!
It is often necessary to adjust the multi-timbrality for several programs inside combi.
For example, in the left hand there is a string / chorus, in the right hand there are bells/piano.
But when I have already adjusted everything, often strings are much quieter than the bells, and the faders of these channels are already at 127.
In this case, I use a Stereo Limiter or a Stereo Compressor, turn it on almost to minimum and then I'll adding to Output Gain + 5-10 dB to some of programs.
Then on the TFX I set the Mastering Limiter at level -0.1 dB.
Of course, you can make the bells quieter, but then some next program/combi (some standard preset) will be too loud, and you need to do it more quietly, and so with dozens of other presets ...

I see the way out is to adjust everything by about 80 at program fader, then make it louder with the compressor's output.
But is it cripple sound heavy? (I checked - the compressor almost does not work, only at the highest peaks).

So, please, tell about your experience - how you decide this factor? Maybe you know some tutorials that describe these moments?

I multi track in the SEQ. I hear what you are saying.

I find it best, to lay down my tracks and keep everything close to neutral.

Plus I keep all volume levels under 100, so that I always have sufficient head room for punching up the Program later in the final mix.

In my final mix, I start tweaking with EQ, volume and certain FX.

IOW, I think you have to have a strategy if you are going to have multiple programs in a Combi or in SEQ mode.

For me going back and forth is time consuming. I am good with getting somewhat close during my Song process , then I make my mix adjustments after I have created all my Instrument/Program parts.

You probably notices that the ' default volume ' of a Program varies widely based on the instrument type or category. For example, Hammond organ programs with built in Rotary/Leslie are usually ' hot' . Drums are naturally louder. Flute is soft. and so on
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a trick consisting on switch all the song on Mono. That way, it's easier to judge the good spread of sounds spectrum.
The only problem is that I don't have any idea how to easily do that with the Kornos, except unplugging the right audio ouput.
pete.m

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...most mixers have a mono sum function, too.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but here, we are speaking about Kronos, not exteral mixer ! I don't konw a Mono Sum function in it.
Akdmeh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies!
Maybe I wasn't clean in the main question of my post:
Does someone using compressors and it's gain for this purpose?
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akdmeh wrote:
Thanks for your replies!
Maybe I wasn't clean in the main question of my post:
Does someone using compressors and it's gain for this purpose?

Yes, I use compressors (and limiters) for gain boost all the time. The key is to set the ratio to 1.0/1.0 so that no compression or limiting is going on. Then the effect has no effect on the sound other than you can increase the gain - a lot. Actually, the Stereo Limiter is my favorite for this - if you need stereo. But yes - it's a useful and smart technique.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: