Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardware synth controller for programming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Hardware synth controller for programming Reply with quote

Hi there folks.

Does anyone has suggestions about a synth controller for korg kronos?

I'd like, for instance, to program the AL-1, Polisix and others using buttons, and not the screen or even a software for that.

I've found an old novation x station-25 as an option since its has many controllers and as far as I know they're all assignable.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/novation-x-station-25

Does anyone know a better, not so expensive, option?

Thank you!
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very unlikely, as Kronos many if Kronos sysex use multiple byte data values that these controllers are unable to send.
You might be able to tweak some parameters though.
If you are connected to computer , you might be able to map your controller through the Kronos editor , that might work better.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
tand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you amit.

So, do you think that controller (x station-25) won't be able to send midi messages in order to change Kronos synth parameters?
Perilous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made some headway in this regard with the CX-3 engine, but not with PolysixEX or AL-1. The Novation X-Station 25 may indeed be able to control the Kronos, in a limited way, but the problem is that the maximum and minimum values are too large for any controller to handle.

Take a look at the PolysixEX engine for instance. Under VCO, the Pulse Width Modulation Speed Mod.Intensity has a min/max of -10.00 to +10.00
That's 1,000 values in each direction, negative and positive! A controller is lucky to transmit 256 positive values.
So a lot of controllers have a very limited range of control, but the Kronos deals with HUGE values that cannot be reached by any Midi controller that I've found. You'd have to use a computer and some sort of translator...
tand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got you Perilous.

I think there's no way for that then.

Well, I'll try the ipad midi solutions once I have no other choices.

Do you guys have any options about Lemur, TouchOsc and mididesigner?

Thanks amit, thanks Perilous.

Have a nice day guys.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behring BCR or BCF 2000, it learns sysex if my memory serves correctly. A few years ago one of our members here had one and was able to program it to do quite a bit. Try some internet searches it may pop up. I know it was in the Kronos forum a couple years or so ago. Maybe someone else remembers the thread.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a minute to find this link. Qui did it! Kronos with BCR2000
Cpilot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Bertotti remembers, many moons ago I was able to program the BCR2000 quite effectively. I wrote some quick and dirty DOS editors as proof of concept with every intention of writing a proper Windows program. However, fate intervened and I was unable to do this and now I never will. I still have the final q and d editor though, and it does work, so if anyone wants it drop me a PM. Since it's only proof of concept it lacks all the features. It's based on using the Kronos sysex text files (slightly modified so they're all in the same format). Problems to note:

1. EXi only-no HD1 (format is different)
2. No Undo. Once you start defining a parameter you must continue to the bitter end. However, the BCR is smart enough to pick up a second one instead of the first if you made a mistake.
3. Only generates .syx files - no direct MIDI.
4. Cannot change the control resolution. The program always calculates the reolution to give approximately one turn of the control for any parameter.
5. Cannot have positive and negative values in the same parameter. It is possible but the results are weird. This is a limitation of the BCR. So you have to uses two controls.

There may be others but I can't remember them. The package contains the .exe file, the modified sysex files and the source code (Pascal), so if anyone feels like developing it they are welcome to try. Please don't ask me any questions about the program as I can't remember much about it.
tand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice the BCR2000.

I'll take a look closer at that controller.

Thank you so much guys.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The X-station also has an editor, and its controls do accept Sysex, as well as CC, NRPN, and RPN commands:

https://us.novationmusic.com/support/downloads/x-station-template-editors

I also have the BCR series, very handy devices. Still, I'm still happily plodding along daily with my 61 key X-station while the BCF/BCR are only brought out once in awhile.

The Novation X-station was ahead of its time -- MIDI and power over USB, 2 MIDI outs/merge, 4 assignable MIDI zones, transport controls, very good velocity/aftertouch keybed, XYpad, and mod lever with or without detente.

It even has a decent VA synth (3 osc, 8-voice, monotimbral), with over a dozen PCM OSC waveforms, several very interesting LFO wave types, and an extensive arp section. Add basic FX and an audio interface, and it really was an amazing feature set. Jamiroquai and others have programmed some downloadable patches.

The BCR is great, if a bit large and clunky by modern standards. The X-station 25 will offer you a great deal of buttons (44), knobs (53) and sliders (11) and overall functionality, amazingly more than the venerable BCR, and yet in a small and lightweight portably powered solution. I'd go for at least the 3-octave version if you could, so you won't have any regrets further down the line by a 2-octave limitation. You'd be hard pressed to find a decent action keybed with aftertouch and selectable velocity levels at this price class.

Ha, I sound like I'm endorsed by Novation (I'm not). To be fair, slider quality isn't the greatest, you can't use it as a controller when using the synth, and the aftertouch can be too responsive (opposite the Kronos). The VA is more old EDM type, a bit shallow despite the "liquid" filter. I've no need for all the Automap templates, but the editor does have a "listen" (MIDI learn) mode.

The build quality isn't the greatest, and I dislike gray keyboards, but it's light and sturdy enough to carry around as a 2nd controller that doesn't need a case or anything. It's my daily driver along with the K61 and FCB1010, and going on almost 10 years now Shocked
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cpilot wrote:
As Bertotti remembers, many moons ago I was able to program the BCR2000 quite effectively. I wrote some quick and dirty DOS editors as proof of concept with every intention of writing a proper Windows program. However, fate intervened and I was unable to do this and now I never will. I still have the final q and d editor though, and it does work, so if anyone wants it drop me a PM. Since it's only proof of concept it lacks all the features. It's based on using the Kronos sysex text files (slightly modified so they're all in the same format). Problems to note:

1. EXi only-no HD1 (format is different)
2. No Undo. Once you start defining a parameter you must continue to the bitter end. However, the BCR is smart enough to pick up a second one instead of the first if you made a mistake.
3. Only generates .syx files - no direct MIDI.
4. Cannot change the control resolution. The program always calculates the reolution to give approximately one turn of the control for any parameter.
5. Cannot have positive and negative values in the same parameter. It is possible but the results are weird. This is a limitation of the BCR. So you have to uses two controls.

There may be others but I can't remember them. The package contains the .exe file, the modified sysex files and the source code (Pascal), so if anyone feels like developing it they are welcome to try. Please don't ask me any questions about the program as I can't remember much about it.

PM sent, thx
Cpilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of notes. The program will run on anything up to XP. Beyond XP you can use DosBox (a free download - Google it). It runs quite happily on my 64bit Windows 8 laptop.

Also I had to change the extension on the executable file to .edt to avoid malware problems when sent as email. If you request a copy you'll need to change it back to .exe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: