Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

love to get this sound on my K

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcdeben

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: love to get this sound on my K Reply with quote

David Sancious uses I think a OB on this lead sound, anyone think it can be reproduced on the K. The modulation seams more than just LFO pitch. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Also very cool song!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_YHYy4Rl3k
Korg Kronos 61, Korg Triton 61, Casio PX-5S, Alessis Vortex Wireless, Toshiba Satellite I7 8G RAM, Presonus Firepod, Sonar X3 Producer, Behringer Truth B2031A Ones I have had and probably should of kept: Univox EL Piano, Arp Axxe, Hammond L-100 w/ 910 Leslie, Minimoog, DX7, Kawai SX210 but like most of us I needed the cash!
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm no expert on creating timber, but it sounds like a pretty regular rhode with perhaps a bit of effects (distortion and phaser)?

I don't know much about synthesis and I feel I'd had no trouble nailing this.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about the sound around the 3:15 mark, I don't think that's a OB: those the falling glides have a very Moog-ish feel in the filters.

At the time, the only synths Tom Oberheim was making were the TVS and FVS (Two-voice and Four Voice) and they were just being released.

..Joe
marcdeben

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the synth solo sound not the piano. Any chance of replicating that sound on the Kronos? The modulation effect seems like a combination of pitch and LFO modulating resonance? Plus it is so FAT! I used to have a Mini Moog and I don't remember it being that fat. That is why I thought it may be an OBX. What he does with the pitch wheel is very hard, for me anyway, to replicate on the Kronos. If anyone has any ideas let me know and I will give it a try. I do not need it for a gig or anything, just would like to fool around with it.
Thanks
Marc
Korg Kronos 61, Korg Triton 61, Casio PX-5S, Alessis Vortex Wireless, Toshiba Satellite I7 8G RAM, Presonus Firepod, Sonar X3 Producer, Behringer Truth B2031A Ones I have had and probably should of kept: Univox EL Piano, Arp Axxe, Hammond L-100 w/ 910 Leslie, Minimoog, DX7, Kawai SX210 but like most of us I needed the cash!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that solo sound, I'm reminded of Edgar Winter's Frankenstein ARP sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8f-Qb-bwlU

The quick steps below will get you somewhere close:

Select U-B041 Fat "Living" Synth. Remove all FX, including setting MFX return levels to 0. Go to Common/Basic page and set voice to Mono legato.

I turned off EXi2 at first, then raised to taste later: go to Amp/Driver and turn Amp level to 0. Go back to EXi1.

Reduce Filter/Filter Mod levels to taste: lower Velocity Int and EG Int to something like 5.

Now go back to the Filter and slowly raise cutoff to taste.

Of course a few more tweaks may be needed, such as portamento, filter decay rate, maybe even selecting Multi-mode filter and experimenting with the various 24dB lowpass types. The mod lever performance techniques will take practice, but some of it is just slapping the lever at the right times. HTH
marcdeben

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will give it a try when I get a little play time with beast!
Than you so much for the time spent helping!
Most Appreciated!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: