Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tutorials?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Computer Programmers – Software Developers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Tutorials? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any tips or better yet links on places to go for learning more (without actually having to go on a course) about any of the following subjects:
- VB or C++ .NET - I used to program in VB but I find .NET bewildering. Nothing works! you can't even put a number in a text box or vice versa without explicitly knowing the command to convert the two types. Seems like Microsoft has taken the 'basic' out of Visual Basic.
- Audio plugin programming with JUCE (mac or PC, preferably both). I've done a bit of AU programming at uni and I'm familiar with all those technical aspects. Its just actually getting a project together that I struggle with.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DotNetRocks is a great podcast that has a huge amount of info, particularly if you go back to listen to all the prior shows that are relevant to what you're doing.

Four Guys from Rolla is another great source.
http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/welcomead/

I highly recommend C#.net instead of VB.NET or C++.net for new programmers.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrox Press has some very good books for learning everything .NET.

http://www.wrox.com
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't know much about DotNet, buy a simple book and later a reference or more detailed book.

Internet contains a lot of information, but if you start fresh a book that shows the relations between all aspects of programming is best.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Basell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think O'Reilly manuals are the best for this. I also like w3schools.com for online-learning, but I'm not sure there're such courses that you need.
andersborg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tutorials? Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Does anyone have any tips or better yet links on places to go for learning more (without actually having to go on a course) about any of the following subjects:
- VB or C++ .NET - I used to program in VB but I find .NET bewildering. Nothing works! you can't even put a number in a text box or vice versa without explicitly knowing the command to convert the two types. Seems like Microsoft has taken the 'basic' out of Visual Basic.
- Audio plugin programming with JUCE (mac or PC, preferably both). I've done a bit of AU programming at uni and I'm familiar with all those technical aspects. Its just actually getting a project together that I struggle with.

Just a personal opinion, but I find both C# and VB very easy to work with, especially VB due to the excellent "no odd symbols" syntax. I just type, and fast. No need to worry about indentation levels, "{}" etc. The step from VB6 to VB.NET was rather painful though. Anyway...

I extensively use the documentation in VS, via popups and searching through documentation. Microsoft is relatively good at providing working examples with each class definition, which is a good starting point. The examples can though be a bit too esoteric.

For online tutorials, a few suggestions:
http://www.vbtutor.net/
http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/net/vbnet.html
(frankly I just googled Smile)

Cheers,
Anders
manouchehrmail

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to develop my own application to read different file types which make a SET; for example reading out all information from "STY", "PCG", "PRF", "PCM", "PAD", "KMP", "GBL", and "VOC" files.
Where to ask for detailed information about this topic. Please do not refer me to the regional distributors in Germany because although I live in Germany but I want to get English support.

I would appreciate any guide, documentation, or correct contact person to ask.

Best Regards,
Manu
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of these file formats are proprietary and undocumented for general public so it's going to impossible to give you a clear answer.
Some users have had success contacting the manufacturers for the information (after signing NDA most likely) so they are unlikely going to be any help either.

You could try reverse engineering the file format if you have patience and a good hold on data format deciphering but that too may leave you with incomplete specs, it's always worth a try. I have done that quite a lot in the past with varying degrees of success, depending on the intent and the target.

I would first start finding the product manuals and looking towards end, if there are some file format descriptors provided.

Good Luck.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the PCG file format, your first documentation is the detailed MIDI documentation that comes with each model. For most models these can be downloaded (exception: Oasys), the Kronos documentation is part of the DVD that comes with it, most others can be downloaded.

Also, in case of doubt: make a small change, save the (PCG or other) file again and diff them to know where the differences are. This can be very time consuming though.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
manouchehrmail

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt replies. I will check the MIDI docs and I am trying to contact them and I have no problem to sign NDA. My target devices are PA series however. I don't know if there are similarities between them and other series.
Let's see. I appreciate your time again.

BR
Manu
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manouchehrmail wrote:
Thanks for the prompt replies. I will check the MIDI docs and I am trying to contact them and I have no problem to sign NDA. My target devices are PA series however. I don't know if there are similarities between them and other series.
Let's see. I appreciate your time again.

BR
Manu

I found your other post and answered there (short answer: they are far from the same, probably).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Computer Programmers – Software Developers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: